• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

the market: stocks, bonds, options, whatever

I wish I had the money to buy stocks. If I had the money I'd buy stocks in.

Silver
Platinum
Cobalt
Titanium
Palladium
Rhodium
Lithium
Tungsten

Textron
Darpa
Lockheed Martin
Northrop Grumman
RTX Corporation

Amazon
Microsoft

Last edited:
everything is too expensive now, got the war chest full waiting on the summer lull to hopefully snag some good discounts.

also waiting to see how my BOIL play turns out, entered at $13 and now it's hovering around $20.

trying to get more into commodities and identifying stable seasonal patterns, with BOIL i saw a weak pattern in springtime and even with headwinds this year it still seems to be at least trending in the expected direction.

was it just overbought or the supply issue got sorted out?

Boy did you open up a rabbit hole with that question.

My honest opinion? I think that there was a hype-powered bull run on the stock. Complete with actual shills.

The commodities market is one of the more manipulated markets.

I couldn't find a good link for you but there was at least one famous example where a cabal of five or six (I think?) wealthy Romans conspired to undermine the Emperor by simply paying off the Egyptians to stop sending grain to Rome. This caused a horrible political crisis. So people were manipulating the commodities markets for financial and political gain since like at least 800 Before Christ.

But that cocoa thing a few weeks ago? Yeah, I have no idea.

I couldn't find a good link for you but there was at least one famous example where a cabal of five or six (I think?) wealthy Romans conspired to undermine the Emperor by simply paying off the Egyptians to stop sending grain to Rome. This caused a horrible political crisis. So people were manipulating the commodities markets for financial and political gain since like at least 800 Before Christ.

Very interesting, I'll have to read more about this.

I remember once going to see an exhibit about Sumeria/Mesopotamia and seeing the first known futures contract punched into a clay tablet in ... I forget if it was 5000 BC or 3000 but yeah hell of a long time ago.

Crazy how something so foundational to human civilization is now seen as some sort of exotic financial instrument.

This is the example of commodity market manipulation that always sticks in my mind - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onion_Futures_Act

That is cool how they knew to hedge future costs back then. I'm convinced we've been the same for like 10k years and any biological evolution we've had over 100k years or so came in sudden spurts due to evolutionary bottlenecks from whatever causes, not a steady rate of evolving

That is cool how they knew to hedge future costs back then. I'm convinced we've been the same for like 10k years and any biological evolution we've had over 100k years or so came in sudden spurts due to evolutionary bottlenecks from whatever causes, not a steady rate of evolving

Definitely. I don't think we've evolved at all since then. If you look at how we measure our early progress, it's through our use of metals - copper age, bronze age, iron age.

We've been measuring human advancement by finding new ways to dig up and harness stuff in the ground. Even today I would say that hasn't changed. If we use an iPhone as the benchmark for technological progress... it's got at least two dozen different elements in it.

Maybe if people knew how to dig up and refine all those elements in 5000 BC, they would have been capable of producing the advancements we have today. And on the other side, today is not that different from ancient times. We still need sewers and concrete, and the Romans hacked that pretty long ago.

We also still need to wait for crops to grow, so it still helps to have insurance that they'll fetch a fair price