[AUS] [SA] Given up a stimulant without formal treatment? Please tell me your story.

melinda_b

Greenlighter
I have finished recruiting for this study. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I gave up a year long IV methamphetamine and oral adderal/dexedrine/vyvanse habit with the aid of Depakote, Lexapro and Valium. I believe it is nearly impossible to overcome the anhedonia associated with burnt out dopamine receptors without psychiatric attention. I never would have overcome the depression and paranoia on my own. Thankfully I have an understanding physician.

Hi Melinda. I've reposted the original post below. Drug Studies wants to be able to keep track of research projects beyond the recruitment phase. Deleting all the relevant information from the original post makes this impossible.

We would also appreciate it if you could return to this thread some time in the future with a summary of the results you found.

Thanks!

I'm looking for people who have, at some point in their life, experienced problems due to their use of a stimulant (ie meth, speed, cocaine, ice, ecstasy, etc) but who no longer use this drug and who have had little to no help from treatment services. My focus is on the natural process of stopping. I'm also interested in what role personality may play in this process, if any.

The study will compare this natural process to the process assumed by the models used in formal treatment settings.

The study involves a confidential interview about your experience. The length of the interview is dependent upon how much information you provide but would usually take about an hour. You will need to be located in the Adelaide metropolitan area to take part. There will also be a short questionnaire to assess your personality, the results of which can be provided to you.

WHO AM I?
My name is Melinda and I'm currently studying for a Masters degree in Psychology at the University of Adelaide. This research forms part of the requirements of the degree. I also work as a Drug & Alcohol Counsellor hence my interest in this area. The study is being co-supervised by the University of Adelaide and Drug & Alcohol Services South Australia.

If you, or someone you know, would like to take part or would like more information, please contact me at [email protected]

I would be most grateful for any assistance.

The OP is no longer contactable and as such this study is being listed as terminated. Apologies to anyone who participated and/or wanted to see the results.