• S&T Moderators: VerbalTruist | Skorpio | alasdairm

Technology Chrome OS

Conky

Bluelighter
I really like this operating system by Google. Most of what I do is in a browser. So Chromebooks make a lot of sense. I like tinkering around with Linux but still, I'm going to get the Acer Chromebook 317. 17.3 inch screen.

This OS has very robust security features as well. Verified Boot, Verified Access, all applications sandboxed, exe programs won't run. So the only way something malicious could make its way in is through google play or chrome web store. But then it would have to break out of the sandbox. Chromebooks also support ethernet adapters which I use.

What do you think of this OS? Any fans here?

i have a chromebook. its ok, but it has trouble playing spotify and doing any browsing, i don't think the specs are quite shit enough to justify that so i dunno what's up.

i don't really geek out about operating systems i just want ones that do what i need and since i have a proper bioinformatics rig for any serious computing i didn't see the point in shelling out for anything more expensive.

I’ve used these at school plenty of times over the years. Not having Word or most applications honestly annoys me, but if you don’t mind Google docs and just need something cheap and small to look stuff up and write on, they’re pretty good.

Personally, I’m not a fan and I wouldn’t buy one myself. Plus Google’s ridiculous amount of spyware is pretty egregious from a privacy and security perspective.

I’ve used these at school plenty of times over the years. Not having Word or most applications honestly annoys me, but if you don’t mind Google docs and just need something cheap and small to look stuff up and write on, they’re pretty good.

Personally, I’m not a fan and I wouldn’t buy one myself. Plus Google’s ridiculous amount of spyware is pretty egregious from a privacy and security perspective.
In this case, privacy and security are very different. People like me with digital stalkers don't care about Google because we know it ain't personal

There are some big Chromebooks out there, even one by Acer with 17.3" screen

Pretty much all commercial operating systems have some telemetry which can mostly be disabled and verified with something like wireshark

acer is like hot bread, cheapest laptop brand and isn't a bad thing nowadays, if you can afford a computer go ahead