• S&T Moderators: VerbalTruist | Skorpio | alasdairm

Depression and SAD Lamps - anyone have any experience?

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
[mods, feel free to move this if applicable; I wasn't sure where to post it]

My depression isn't actually Seasonal Affective Disorder, although I do often find a noticeable improvement during the Summer, and I HATE being too hot so I'm very confident it isn't related to "Good" weather or anything as I consider summer the worst season in terms of weather I enjoy (plus, horrible allergies).

I'm considering getting a SAD lamp (medically certified, of course) and was wondering if anyone had any experience of one (whether it was for SAD in particular, or depressional in general) and if you found it helpful or not?

I will have to say that if I wake up and put my face to sunshine the day seems to go better in general.
If I wake facing west the mood isnt as "good".
There is something in light but what is it that sustains?

I bought one this year, because I have increasingly been getting worse and worse SAD as I get older. I have it on my desk where I work and turn it on for a couple of hours every morning. It shines on the side of my face from about 2 feet away. I have to say that I have felt a lot more stable this winter. Not that I'm anywhere near as stable as I am in the summer, but the last 2 winters especially, it was really not good. This winter I just feel kinda low, but not really depressed.

I bought mine for like... $40 maybe?