• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

For the postgrads: Attending conferences?

aunty establishment

Bluelight Crew
Hi all. I've had a manuscript based on my undergrad thesis accepted into a highly regarded academic conference and I'm trying to decide if I should attend.

The problem is, it's in a fairly remote part of the USA and hence a minimum 48 hour return flight. I work full-time so I'd have to use precious annual leave days. I'd also have to pay my own way (~ $3000 US) unless I could pull off something miraculous.

My co-author will be attending and can present on my behalf, but I'm conflicted. I've no doubt it'll be a good "networking" *shudder* opportunity, since I'm looking to start a PhD soonish and all the leading researchers in my field will be there. I'm just not sure if it'll be worth the time/money outlay to meet them and get their inputs first hand.

Any thoughts based on your own experiences?

Some conferences are great. Some really aren't. It sounds like this one could be really beneficial for you.

As this is a conference relating to your work at uni, see if you can get your thesis supervisor to throw some financial support your way, or your department. This could be a really great opportunity/experience for you to see what is going on in your field, and yes to look up the possibilities of hooking up some PhD action...

Personally I've just come back from a major international conference and found it to be a ridiculously good experience. The information and people and concepts that were there/shown were really thought provoking etc. i.e. it was good :) However because I'm doing a PhD, my flights were paid for me and my accomodation was paid for me while attending the conference. Also the conference attendance fee was paid for me, which was good because the cost to attend this conference was 395 UK pounds for a post grad, 695 UK pounds for others.

If nothing else, make sure that you get your conference entry paid for you, because they are the BIGGEST rort in the history of big rorts.

So all in all, it seems like it would be a good thing for you to do, but yeah, try and get as much funding/financial assistance from your uni/co-author as you can.

Good luck :)

CB :)

Thanks CB! That's really reassuring.

Financially I'm in a bit of an interesting position, as I'm no longer a student or have any ties to the Uni. I'm just doing the journal articles thing in my spare time, I didn't actually expect anything serious to come of it.

I suppose I should put together a case for funding to my work, since I'm "aunty establishment of X Company" on all my publications. I hate asking people for money though! Oh well, it's not until early next year, I can sell a lot of blood in that time ;)

>>Financially I'm in a bit of an interesting position, as I'm no longer a student or have any ties to the Uni. I'm just doing the journal articles thing in my spare time,>>

damn....that is pretty hardcore.

ebola

Well as you are aunty establishment of X company, get your company to throw you some cash. You are representing their interests there - well depending on whether or not your undergrad thesis work has anything to do with your current real world work, then you can make a case for getting funding from your company, and also having the time off paid for you as work as you would be attending the conference as a part of your job, therefore you shouldn't lose annual leave days :)

You should be able to wangle it some way or other. Don't be hesitant about asking for money from either source: uni or work, as long as you can make a decent case for it being a good thing for either you should be able to make some financial inroads :)

Again, good luck :)

CB :)