• S&T Moderators: VerbalTruist | Skorpio | alasdairm

Technology General OPSEC v. don't click that link you shit pirate

I had a scary experience last weekend trying to watch UFC without paying for the full PPV. My friend recommended a site called MMAShare, went there and paypal'd $11 for the entire main card. Clicked a link I thought would take me to the fights, it asked me to allow popups, which I stupidly agreed to thinking maybe the fights would popup in a window, then all of a sudden I was overwhelmed with anti-virus popups claiming I had been infected. Yikes! Luckily I recognized that all they were were popups and not an actual infection....yet. I closed down the browser, cleared my cache, deleted cookies and history, and ran my AV software for safe measure. Turns out the popups were bullshit and fortunately I didn't click on any of them or they could have potentially infected my computer. Watched the fights although without sound because the unmute button was a link, not on the video itself.

Lesson: Don't allow popups on unknown sites and watch what you click you shit pirate.
Get a good adblocker. I recommend Ublock Origin.

I was having loads of certificate problems, but a factory reset & revoke certs, and then installing bromite, seemed to help. Even firefox works better now. I ditched lets encrypt, seemed to be causing problems.

https://www.Bromite.org
or via https://www.f-droid.org - use ffupdater or the bromite repo, from.bromite.org

Don't get the bromite webview version unless you have root iirc.

At least it will give you extended cert information on mobile though.

Regarding VPN's, just check reddits pages for nord, proton, etc etc, and you will see repeated problems with no help and people in the same boat.

I posted on reddit, in a random vpn thread, that the vpns time was obviously limited, and they were and are an absolute target; if anybody was in doubt just see the the subs and feel free to repeat zendesks obligritary vpn fixes that everybody obviously already tried that didn't work.

Later that day I got a "general sitewide warning" from reddit itself not to comment on things I have no knowledge on, such as vpn's, or I'd get banned.

Do they even stop your phone from chatting to your pc, or anybody else on your wlan? Apparently not according to w10 event log.

Privacy is screwed.

Last edited:
i dunno if google still shows the profile it has on you, but i once checked it and found out i was a man into football, so if they are still that wrong, i don't care.
How can you check this? I’m super curious about mine

How can you check this? I’m super curious about mine

They used to just offer stocks and shares for me, i mean, not gonna take a tenner sre they?

However they are increasinly cosy with microsoft. Just run.a search on w10.