• S&T Moderators: VerbalTruist | Skorpio | alasdairm

Technology Hack your user agent string on Firefox for Android so that all of the thread posting tools work on bluelight!

simstim

Bluelighter
If you're like me and use Firefox for Android your bluelight experience is likely to hampered!

None of the post formatting tools or tools for posting links and images works at all in Firefox on bluelight. Likewise none of the buttons for selecting emojis works. Basically all the little tools above your text input box are greyed out if you use Firefox where if you check this with chrome you can click them all and they function properly.

To do this you must install Firefox for Android beta!!

Once you install Firefox for Android beta open it up. Open a new tab and in the address bar type about:config And press enter.

This opens up all the secret settings!

Press the "plus symbol" at the top right to add a setting.

The name is general.useragent.override

Now click where it says boolean and select string.

Copy this user agent string and paste it where it says Enter a string

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 10; moto e (XT2052DL)) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/100.0.4896.79 Mobile Safari/537.36

Click create!

Now open a tab and go to bluelight.org. Go to the forum and open a thread.

Scroll to the bottom where you can make a post and check it out! Now all of the posting tools work!

You can format text and post emojis now till the cows come home!

:gun::middle finger::slapping::In love:

These emojis prove that it works!!
Enjoy your now unrestricted posting capabilities in Firefox.

cant seem to get about:config to open on ff android.
all the icons for posting options are not visible but they work. sometimes i gotta click on stuff for a minute to find the right formatting option. sometimes its too much troubles. lol

so i wrote the above and realized it was sposed to be ff beta. installed it and it works as posted. haha! got my icons back. cool man to boot... it looks just like my desktop browser. im a fan.
thanks

edit
:p:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O:whistle::cautious:

ed 2
the reg ff browser used to have the icons... wonder what went wrong?

cant seem to get about:config to open on ff android.
all the icons for posting options are not visible but they work. sometimes i gotta click on stuff for a minute to find the right formatting option. sometimes its too much troubles. lol

so i wrote the above and realized it was sposed to be ff beta. installed it and it works as posted. haha! got my icons back. cool man to boot... it looks just like my desktop browser. im a fan.
thanks

edit
:p:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O:whistle::cautious:

ed 2
the reg ff browser used to have the icons... wonder what went wrong?
Mozilla did away with allowing users access to about:config. Sadly over the years they have been breaking their smartphone browser until it's hardly capable of keeping up with others.

You can access about:config still if you use nightly builds. These are on the cutting edge of the browsers development and so you get access to the latest development builds before they make it into full versions.

I would honestly recommend opting for a Chrome based browser. I thought I'd never say that myself as I've been a loyal Firefox user since the early days and I was among the first to use FF on Android. I use Bromite. Its not Chrome from Google. It's based on Chromium, which is the open source base of Chrome that Google offers. This way it doesn't come shipped with all the bullshit you don't want from big brother *ahem* Google. Bromite takes this a few notches further by reinforcing the strength and capability of the browsers privacy and security features. Again, without compromising on that by coming laden with Google crap.

Firefox for Android is dead. If you speak to most people who have been on the Android bandwagon for a long time supporting FF they will tell you the same thing. Its just not the same browser it used to be. You are locked out of 99% of its functionality whereas this used to be the major selling point of Firefox - the ability to get under the hood of the browser, see how its running and tweak as you please. Now you're simply tweaking Mozilla's bank balance because they are essentially bankrolled by Google now anyway and their smartphone app is so chock full of crap it might as well be a Google spyware app.

Mozilla did away with allowing users access to about:config. Sadly over the years they have been breaking their smartphone browser until it's hardly capable of keeping up with others.

You can access about:config still if you use nightly builds. These are on the cutting edge of the browsers development and so you get access to the latest development builds before they make it into full versions.

I would honestly recommend opting for a Chrome based browser. I thought I'd never say that myself as I've been a loyal Firefox user since the early days and I was among the first to use FF on Android. I use Bromite. Its not Chrome from Google. It's based on Chromium, which is the open source base of Chrome that Google offers. This way it doesn't come shipped with all the bullshit you don't want from big brother *ahem* Google. Bromite takes this a few notches further by reinforcing the strength and capability of the browsers privacy and security features. Again, without compromising on that by coming laden with Google crap.

Firefox for Android is dead. If you speak to most people who have been on the Android bandwagon for a long time supporting FF they will tell you the same thing. Its just not the same browser it used to be. You are locked out of 99% of its functionality whereas this used to be the major selling point of Firefox - the ability to get under the hood of the browser, see how its running and tweak as you please. Now you're simply tweaking Mozilla's bank balance because they are essentially bankrolled by Google now anyway and their smartphone app is so chock full of crap it might as well be a Google spyware app.

So I figured out today that this work around is unnecessary.

If everything is greyed out on your phone click the third three dot menu from the left (the one at the far right) and then toggle the button [ ]. That's it that should fix it.

I'm gonna keep sticking with Firefox for android so long as I can keep using my plugins.

Video background play fix removes the api call that allows YouTube to know that it is not on top (for background play) and ublock origin blocks YouTube's ads.

I don't know of any other Android browsers that have plugins much less enable the pay only features on YouTube for free so I'll stick with it.

I never see an ad. Not one. That's worth it to me alone.