• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

I'ld like to hear from anyone who uses an opioid to fight depression.

In general you are absolutely right. But there's always exception that proves the rule.
It will work. For a while; until it doesn’t.

I get that some ppl stay on methadone or bupe forever….but are they fighting naked clinical depression or depression that’s just part of PAWS?

I don’t know, like you said there is room for nuance but in general this is a bad idea I would say.

It will work. For a while; until it doesn’t.

I get that some ppl stay on methadone or bupe forever….but are they fighting naked clinical depression or depression that’s just part of PAWS?

I don’t know, like you said there is room for nuance but in general this is a bad idea I would say.
I'm aware of that but just tell me what's the alternative?

I'm aware of that but just tell me what's the alternative?
I don’t know. Have you tried all the SSRIs and TCAs (outdated tricyclic antidepressants)?

I don’t have depression; but I’ve taken TCAs for pain and they seem like they are almost recreational to me. Like I feel really up beat and manic on them. No physical high though.

Then there’s atypical antidepressants like Wellbutrin that are pretty much a stimulant.

I don’t know. Have you tried all the SSRIs and TCAs (outdated tricyclic antidepressants)?

I don’t have depression; but I’ve taken TCAs for pain and they seem like they are almost recreational to me. Like I feel really up beat and manic on them. No physical high though.

Then there’s atypical antidepressants like Wellbutrin that are pretty much a stimulant.
I am still taking 150mg Amitriptyline for sleep (of the label). It doesn’t work for depression at all. As l said I tried at least top 3 antidepressants from every group without any success. Last year I didn't take any painkillers (chronic pain ) for 6 months. Result? Splitting headache 24/7 and clinical depression. I spent 90% of my time in bed. I really don't see any point in suffering?

I am still taking 150mg Amitriptyline for sleep (of the label). It doesn’t work for depression at all. As l said I tried at least top 3 antidepressants from every group without any success. Last year I didn't take any painkillers (chronic pain ) for 6 months. Result? Splitting headache 24/7 and clinical depression. I spent 90% of my time in bed. I really don't see any point in suffering?
Before I respond, side note. 150 mg of Amitriptyline? Wow that’s a lot although normal for depression for pain only 10 to 50 mg are given. But I have to ask you….does Amitriptyline wreck your stomache and GI tract? Bad cramps, diahrresa uet feeling constipated pain after eating; tons of indigestion and gas? The drug works well for my pain but after month of being on 40 mg it wrecks my GI function worse than the pain I’m even taking for. And it stays fucked for months after even stopping Ami.

Did u get the GI problems/effects? Do you know how to cointeract them so you can stay on the drug….bc it works for what I take it for )pain) but causes even worse problems that I always have to stop and get scared to it.

Sorry to hear that not sure what you meant by “I don’t see any point in suffering" but if you meant that taking opiates is all you can find that works at this point; I would say go for it. Only you know what works for you and suffering for no reason is wrong. But please continue to explore other avenues besides opioids imo.

Sorry if I missed this; but which opioids do you use? If you have addiction proclivities and something like bupe or methadone cuts if for you; if it were me I would stick with those. Because they aren’t recreational too much. If you’re like me don’t make the mistake to trust yourself with a bottle of dilaided if you get what I’m saying. I just know what I would end up doing,,, especially while suffering. Bupe and methadone aren’t that euphoric and very long lasting so I think the possibility for abuse and mor often resdosong can lead to problems.

Best of luck I hope you figure out a regimen that offers you some long term stability.

Before I respond, side note. 150 mg of Amitriptyline? Wow that’s a lot although normal for depression for pain only 10 to 50 mg are given. But I have to ask you….does Amitriptyline wreck your stomache and GI tract? Bad cramps, diahrresa uet feeling constipated pain after eating; tons of indigestion and gas? The drug works well for my pain but after month of being on 40 mg it wrecks my GI function worse than the pain I’m even taking for. And it stays fucked for months after even stopping Ami.

Did u get the GI problems/effects? Do you know how to cointeract them so you can stay on the drug….bc it works for what I take it for )pain) but causes even worse problems that I always have to stop and get scared to it.

Sorry to hear that not sure what you meant by “I don’t see any point in suffering" but if you meant that taking opiates is all you can find that works at this point; I would say go for it. Only you know what works for you and suffering for no reason is wrong. But please continue to explore other avenues besides opioids imo.

Sorry if I missed this; but which opioids do you use? If you have addiction proclivities and something like bupe or methadone cuts if for you; if it were me I would stick with those. Because they aren’t recreational too much. If you’re like me don’t make the mistake to trust yourself with a bottle of dilaided if you get what I’m saying. I just know what I would end up doing,,, especially while suffering. Bupe and methadone aren’t that euphoric and very long lasting so I think the possibility for abuse and mor often resdosong can lead to problems.

Best of luck I hope you figure out a regimen that offers you some long term stability.
I am taking 150mg Amitriptyline (max. dose) because my Dr., Psychiatrist and Neurologist told me the same thing. "Don't stop & don't reduce the dosage". Apparently it's very hard to tapper it down but I suspect there's something else as well? As I said it doesn't work as antidepressant or a pain killer. But it helps me with insomnia (combined with 3mg Lexotan and 10mg Stilnox).

Regarding side effects l have none. Maybe a bit of urinary retention and that's all. By the way when I started 10 years ago there were some side effects but they ceased after few months.

For TRD i only take 10mg Endone first thing in the morning. I literally CAN'T afford to take more because in that case I must skip tomorrow's dose. And I really can't afford that.

After everything I've been through last year I am happy to be alive. After that i become responsible and very disciplined. You can give me a 100 pills to keep but I won't take more than 2. When people take them recreationally it's a completely different story. When you take them in order to survive there's no such a thing as "let's take more to feel good". Every night I cut 2 pills from the box and put it in my pocket. That's the tomorrow's dose and I have no desire or cravings to take more. That's it my friend.

I am taking 150mg Amitriptyline (max. dose) because my Dr., Psychiatrist and Neurologist told me the same thing. "Don't stop & don't reduce the dosage". Apparently it's very hard to tapper it down but I suspect there's something else as well? As I said it doesn't work as antidepressant or a pain killer. But it helps me with insomnia (combined with 3mg Lexotan and 10mg Stilnox).

Regarding side effects l have none. Maybe a bit of urinary retention and that's all. By the way when I started 10 years ago there were some side effects but they ceased after few months.

For TRD i only take 10mg Endone first thing in the morning. I literally CAN'T afford to take more because in that case I must skip tomorrow's dose. And I really can't afford that.

After everything I've been through last year I am happy to be alive. After that i become responsible and very disciplined. You can give me a 100 pills to keep but I won't take more than 2. When people take them recreationally it's a completely different story. When you take them in order to survive there's no such a thing as "let's take more to feel good". Every night I cut 2 pills from the box and put it in my pocket. That's the tomorrow's dose and I have no desire or cravings to take more. That's it my friend.
I’ve gotten slight withdrawals from tapering and stopping at 75mg. Nausea and some headache but nothing bad at all where I couldn’t function.

For me it’s prescribed for a specific pain issue and works well for it. I don’t have depression but I definitely feel happier and manic on the drug; I would consider it slightly recreational even once you’ve been on it for 2 weeks+

But we are different minds and different bodies

I’ve gotten slight withdrawals from tapering and stopping at 75mg. Nausea and some headache but nothing bad at all where I couldn’t function.

For me it’s prescribed for a specific pain issue and works well for it. I don’t have depression but I definitely feel happier and manic on the drug; I would consider it slightly recreational even once you’ve been on it for 2 weeks+

But we are different minds and different bodies
At one stage l was convinced that Amitriptyline was the main reason for most of my problems (mentally and physically). Apparently it's not. After tapering it down to 50mg and raising the dose to 200mg a few months later I didn't see any changes. My Psychiatrist told me that I will need at least a couple of years in order to recover from all medication l was taking in the past (antidepressants, benzos, paracetamol, sleeping pills...) It's been 6 month since than and I am still waiting.

At one stage l was convinced that Amitriptyline was the main reason for most of my problems (mentally and physically). Apparently it's not. After tapering it down to 50mg and raising the dose to 200mg a few months later I didn't see any changes. My Psychiatrist told me that I will need at least a couple of years in order to recover from all medication l was taking in the past (antidepressants, benzos, paracetamol, sleeping pills...) It's been 6 month since than and I am still waiting.
Good luck man drugs are the solution to our pain and annguish and also our down fall that worsens them; I don’t know what the answer is but I hope you find yours.

What physical problems were you blaming on Ami?

Here's the fruit of my experience for anyone who might care to listen . . . and might benefit. Amitriptyline is very constipating. Add an opioid to that, and the gut slows way down. The result is constipation and belly pain.

There is a solution. Take an osmotic laxative, as often as needed, to make sure you poop every day. Otherwise you can damage your colon and end up with diverticulitis. (Happened to me.) Stimulant laxatives - like senna - irritate the lining of your gut. They're not the best choice. Osmotic laxatives - like Miralax or milk of magnesia - are the absolute best choice. Taking a dose of either one every day will not harm you. Miralax is great stuff. (The store generic knockoff is cheaper and is exactly the same stuff.). You can even take several doses in one day, if badly blocked up. (This is the same stuff they give you to clean out before getting a colonoscopy.)

The only caveat is this: Don't take any laxative, if your problem could possibly be appendicitis. You'll just get sicker. An X-Ray at the ER can pinpoint the problem for you, if you're not sure.

One more caveat: Don't swallow anything, if you feel very nauseated. Otherwise you might throw up and accidentally inhale your own vomit. That can be life-threatening.

Normal poop is not hard or painful to pass. Anyone who is passing hard poop should be taking an osmotic laxative, as often as needed to maintain soft stools. Doing that faithfully can stave off some really bad problems and the misery that goes with them.

Last edited:
Here's the fruit of my experience for anyone who might care to listen . . . and might benefit. Amitriptyline is very constipating. Add an opioid to that, and the gut slows way down. The result is constipation and belly pain.

There is a solution. Take an osmotic laxative, as often as needed, to make sure you poop every day. Otherwise you can damage your colon and end up with diverticulitis. (Happened to me.) Stimulant laxatives - like senna - irritate the lining of your gut. They're not the best choice. Osmotic laxatives - like Miralax or milk of magnesia - are the absolute best choice. Taking a dose of either one every day will not harm you. Miralax is great stuff. (The store generic knockoff is cheaper and is exactly the same stuff.). You can even take several doses in one day, if badly blocked up. (This is the same stuff they give you to clean out before getting a colonoscopy.)

The only caveat is this: Don't take any laxative, if your problem could possibly be appendicitis. You'll just get sicker. An X-Ray at the ER can pinpoint the problem for you, if you're not sure.

One more caveat: Don't swallow anything, if you feel very nauseated. Otherwise you might throw up and accidentally inhale your own vomit. That can be life-threatening.

Normal poop is not hard or painful to pass. Anyone who is passing hard poop should be taking an osmotic laxative, as often as needed to maintain soft stools. Doing that faithfully can stave off some really bad problems and the misery that goes with them.
Thanks for the advice mate. If I may, just one suggestion. Prunes. They have plenty of fibre but don't work immediately. Soak several prunes in the glass of water and eat it (drink the water as well) after dinner. It works miracles in the morning. If its a more severe case of constipation repeat the process for 2-3 days in a row.