Ketamine and other drug experiences survey

kiddys

Greenlighter
Hi again,

As mentioned this is an ethics approved survey from Ryerson University ( anonymous).

Here is the link to the survey:

Link removed as requested by the researcher

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's some more information from the front page of this survey:

Drug Experiences Survey

What?
We are interested in studying the phenomenological experiences associated with the use of various recreational drugs, including both legal and illegal substances.

By participating in this study, which will take approximately 20-25 minutes, you will be asked questions regarding unusual sensory-perceptual experiences that sometimes accompany the use of psychoactive recreational substances. Questions about personal experiences may cause psychological discomfort. However, your responses will remain anonymous and you are free to answer or decline each question.

Who?
To participate in this study, you must be competent to provide informed consent and between the ages of 14-60. Your participation would be on a voluntary basis; that is, there is no direct compensation provided. However, we expect the survey to prove interesting and it will help us gain a better understanding of the effects of various drugs.

I'm a bit confused about it being called a survey on ketamine. I've asked the OP to provide a little more information... oh and the university is a Canadian one :)

Hi everybody,

Here is a survey from Ryerson University ( BIM lab ext. 2192). Contact information can be found in the survey and questions can be directed to [email protected].

Recruits for future studies from Toronto.

Last edited:
Thanks for the extra information - it's appreciated. I'll assume that the study is interested in recruiting people from anywhere in the world?

Done. An interesting area for exploration. Anyone interested in dissociation and other interesting body-mind experiences should check this survey out. Thanks for posting!

This statement did not sit so well with me. Why store identifying information, period?

any potentially identifying information will be stored securely and separately from your responses to questions about the research by an abstract code. YOUR DATA WILL BE KEPT FOR ATLEAST 5 YEARS. PLEASE NOTE THAT BECAUSE THE DATA IS SECURELY STORED ON A USA BASED SERVER ( SURVEY MONKEY), IT IS SUBJECT TO THE PATRIOT ACT. IF CARE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THIS PLEASE VISIT THE LINK PROVIDED

I wanted to help, but why do I have to count how old am I, if I gave them date of birth? How do I count how many times I drank alcohol in year? If based on math (7 times a month let's say x 12 months) why don't they make calculations on their own? Why there are no freqiently abused drugs like heroin and dxm?

And why do they want to keep my data?

This statement did not sit so well with me. Why store identifying information, period?

I too am curious why this information is stored on a U.S. server, when the study is being conducted by Ryerson University (based in Toronto, Canada).

I didn't read this little tidbit of information prior to completing the survey and now I am unhappy to read that it is readily available to the authorities (or the powers that be).

I'm happy to have completed the survey, I am just unhappy to know that whatever bullshit datamining protocols U.S. government agencies have in place could easily have access to such information. You would assume that the members conducting such a survey would pride themselves on providing the highest level of security to their contributors.

In fact, I would imagine more security conscious individuals who still wished to contribute to the survey would go so far as to lie about a significant portion of their personal history (drug, bio, etc.) which would be counterproductive to compiling an accurate assessment of such phenomenological experiences.

YOUR DATA WILL BE KEPT FOR ATLEAST 5 YEARS. PLEASE NOTE THAT BECAUSE THE DATA IS SECURELY STORED ON A USA BASED SERVER ( SURVEY MONKEY), IT IS SUBJECT TO THE PATRIOT ACT.

Just a comment on the discussion about data retention.

Researchers are bound to ethical practices - one of which is keeping data for 5 years (sometimes 7). Why? Because when these researchers write up their results and publish studies, other researchers have the right to question their methods or analysis. Data needs to be kept securely for a few years so that checking and reanalysis is possible. This also guards against researchers fabricating their findings (to a degree).

Remember however that almost all of these surveys (this one included) do not ask you any identifying information. no names, addresses, phone numbers, etc. Your information is anonymous and it is kept, in aggregate, with all the other data, for a minimum time period.

What I tend to do when designing drug use research is ensure that no identifying information is collected AND I try to avoid discussion of heavily criminal behaviour regardless of anonymity. Eg. I don't ask about drug trafficking or manufacturing as this information is of interest to the police and is much more coveted information than someone just 'using a drug'.

So, from my experience as a researcher and having completed many surveys, this one did not strike me as dangerous for people to complete. However, I have to admit that I don't know the implications of the Patriot Act and what that means for this issue of data protection and privacy. Perhaps someone with more US specific knowledge can discuss this aspect?

Drug Experiences Survey

Here is a link to a study that was posted a bit ago on this site. Still recruiting participants

Not anymore. Link removed at request of researcher

Last edited by a moderator:
This survey has just closed. The researcher informed me that they will keep in touch regarding the results.

Thanks. It was a fun survey.

Wait, since I just took the survey does that mean it IS still up?

miluardo, i was informed that the survey had closed and I assumed that the links would be dead. Seems they weren't so now I've removed them. Sorry!

Congrats to kiddys on her publication:

Ketamine as a primary predictor of out-of-body experiences associated with multiple substance use

Leanne K. Wilkins, Todd A. Girard, and J. Allan Cheyne

Department of Psychology, Ryerson University, Canada
Department of Psychology, University of Waterloo, Canada

Received 18 July 2010.
Available online 15 February 2011.

Published in the journal Consciousness and Cognition

Abstract

Investigation of “out-of-body experiences” (OBEs) has implications for understanding both normal bodily-self integration and its vulnerabilities. Beyond reported associations between OBEs and specific brain regions, however, there have been few investigations of neurochemical systems relevant to OBEs. Ketamine, a drug used recreationally to achieve dissociative experiences, provides a real-world paradigm for investigating neurochemical effects. We investigate the strength of the association of OBEs and ketamine use relative to other common drugs of abuse. Self-report data (N = 192) from an online survey indicate that both lifetime frequency of ketamine use and OBEs during ketamine intoxication were more strongly related to the frequency of OBEs and related phenomena than other drugs. Moreover, the apparent effects of other drugs could largely be explained by associated ketamine use. The present results, consistent with the role of NMDA receptors in OBEs, should encourage future studies of the role of neurochemical systems in OBEs.

LINK