• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Making Hash - Substitutes

eternalcrux

Bluelighter
Hey, me and my friend have been interested in making hash for a little while, so last night we hopped on erowid and bl and searched for the method that would best fit us.
We decided upon a method that required 100% isopropal (rubbing?) alcohol. We only had 70%, and we called everywhere - it seems that 70% is the highest anyone carries.
Is anyone firmilliar with this method? I would assume 70% would work, just not as well or as fast - would i be correct in this assumption?
We are thinking of using some 190 proof alcohol next, with higher quality bud (we weren't even sure if this extraction would work so we used a few grams of stems lol) - any suggestions? Thanks in advance for the responses.

you're talking about hash oil, not hash. if you use everclear you can then just mix it with some fruit juice and drink it and say hello to the green dragon.

Indeed. Hydrocarbon solvents, ethers and alcohols are only used to make hash oil, the most popular hash sieving methods of today just involve screens and cold water.
Please elaborate on exactly what you are trying to do, because your recipe sounds like it's for oil. Incidentally I would discourage you from making such a product, I quote Robert Connell Clarke's definitive book on the subject, 'Hashish': "The use of solvents to further concentrate high-quality resin is totally unnecessary..."
He goes on to explain how easy it is to make high quality resin at home, and voices his oppinion that solvent extraction is overkill only suited for very low-quality stuff.
--- G.
[ 13 March 2003: Message edited by: Morrison's Lament ]

Don't use 70%, it doesnt do a good enough job of extraction, use everclear or if you are in school, "obtain" some 100% isopropyl from your science lab. Or use a butane extraction instead.

I don't know where you live, but I know that Safeway carries 99% isopropyl. They looked at me all funny too when I bought 6 bottles once (and nothing else!). ;)
Perhaps you could order some online?

I will elaborate a little: We found the reicipe on erowid, and unless I am getting recipes mixed up, after we would let our plant matter sit in teh alcohol for a few hours/days then we are supposed to strain and then cook, evaporating all the liquids.. Supposedly we are supposed to be left with a sticky substance -- hash.
Maybe this is not an efficient way, anybody have any other advice/suggestions or better methods? This is the best one I have found ;\

ok , firstly you are talking about making hash oil. when you soak weed in alcohol you are dissolving the thc into the alcohol then letting the alcohol evaporate leaving you with an sticky oil like substance.
secondly you don't want to "cook" alcohol. alcohol is very flameable especially when you heat it.
you need to go back to erowid and read more. you are confused.

eternalcrux you are right, just need some stronger solvent and you will be left with amazing hash, as a veteren i would know :)

A friend of my told me about this once, he mentioned that acetone from a hardware store works like a charm. Remember many of the sources are subject to other additives, there is also infromation on the web about how to examine this.
You could use this as a substitute. All this information can really be found with a search engine like google.
Zen

Look, to make your first batch of hash I STRONGLY recommend going with a simple sieving method like the famous bubblebags. Then just press it into beautiful hash bricks!
Chemically extracting THC into a tar/oil is a whole different ballgame from making 'hash'.
--- G.

^^^^^^^^
i agree. you can get some excellent results from just seiving the tricomes and pressing them. simple and very effective.

Hm. Well yesterday we decided the mixture had sat enough and my friend strained it. He then poured the remaining liquid into a glass Pyrex bowl. To avoid overheating and the like he then put the Pyrex bowl on top of a pot which was then put onto a burner and burned slowly at low heat for awhile (I forgot to ask him for how long).
The remaining result from our few grams of stems was a fair amount of an unscented browish/black tarish substance. I actually got a nice high from it smoked on top of a little low grade pot. Usually it takes me a few bowls of schwagg to feel anything but minimal effects anymore, but I was feeling nice and high after I smoked it.
So in conclusion, our little experiment did work. We are planning on trying Amber 190 as a solvent next time, as well as some much higher grade cannabis.

what you made there was some low grade hash oil... i've made it before but it's not worth the effort, imo. if you are going to continue, get the best solvents possible. if you really like oil you ought to try a butane extraction, i hear it is the best.
i prefer to just make hash, as opposed to oil. like people have said, a simple screen works. there's a simple dry sieve called a polm maker than is awesome for small time amounts (bubble bags a bit over kill for a regular smoker i think) then grab a pollen press and you're set. you used to be able to easily get these things online, don't know now that the online headshops went under

A kief box should be readily avaialable and will get you pure thc crystals which could be easily pressed into hash. search for a box or merely for plans to build one yourself.
good luck.

Ok so I'm a heavy smoker.. and as such, I have become a finicky smoker.. In other words, I'll only smoke "left overs" when there's absolutely nothing left.. now, the result is this baggie of regeneration that keeps growing and growing.. well, I'm running out of room to store this extra stuff.. So, one of my friends told me that I should make some hash with it, it being 'left overs' and all.. My boy is cool and all, but I'm not the kind of person that will jus tblindly follow what someone 'claims' will work.. Seeing as how there are many educated (perhaps experienced is a better word) people here, mayeb I could get some input..

Rev said:
Ok so I'm a heavy smoker.. and as such, I have become a finicky smoker.. In other words, I'll only smoke "left overs" when there's absolutely nothing left.. now, the result is this baggie of regeneration that keeps growing and growing.. well, I'm running out of room to store this extra stuff.. So, one of my friends told me that I should make some hash with it, it being 'left overs' and all.. My boy is cool and all, but I'm not the kind of person that will jus tblindly follow what someone 'claims' will work.. Seeing as how there are many educated (perhaps experienced is a better word) people here, mayeb I could get some input..

dude i know exactly what you're talking about. turn those left overs into high grade hash. go to google and look up 'polm maker' and 'pollen press' get both and you'll be set

PM me if you need more help