Online Ecstasy Survey - results worth a look!

Cowboy Mac

Bluelighter
The absolutely anonymous questionnaire for recreational drug users, especially ecstasy-users and former ecstasy-users, deals with the attitudes concerning preventive campaigns. It will take between 10 and 12 minutes. Further contents are questions on the frequency and pattern of your ecstasy consumption, on your information, and on your personal characteristics such as age and gender which will be used only for statistical evaluation of the questions. The personal data is not available for other persons and will only be used for scientific evaluation and research.

The bilingual (german and english) questionnaire will assist an anonymous study being carried out by Birgit U. Stetina (clinical and health psychologist) at the University of Vienna (Department of Psychology). Aims of the study are the identification of recreational drug trends in parts of Europe, America and Australia in context with ecstasy and findings about possible differences or commonalities.

The survey is available at http://www.xtc-survey.net

Have fun filling in the questionnaire and thank you for your time!

If there are further questions you can reach me by email:
[email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
I stumbled across a paper based on this survey in an open-access online journal. It's worth a read! A good example of how research can be used for good, IMHO :)

The research group is Austrian (not Australian ;)) so sometimes there's a little lacking in the translation, but I like the fact that the research crossed language/culture boundaries and it was refreshing to read their views on recreational drug use.

Stetina, B. U., Jagsch, R., Schramel, C., Maman, T. L., & Kryspin-Exner, I. (2008). Exploring Hidden Populations: Recreational Drug Users. Cyberpsychology: Journal of Psychosocial Research on Cyberspace, 2(1), article 1.

The heterogeneous group of recreational drug users is usually inconspicuous in society. These individuals do not regard themselves as drug users in a conventional way and therefore hardly can be reached through traditional methods (e.g. heavy drug user studies). The benefits of psychological online research were examined by exploring the “hidden” population of recreational drug users. An international cross-continental online study was carried out surveying 9,268 recreational drug users from English and German speaking countries. The data was obtained via internet and evaluated by means of statistical inference, descriptive and structure-finding procedures. The research population collected online seems to differ in many variables from the “usual” clinical study population (e.g. age, sex). Results indicate a great degree of trust in online information and a strong use of the data highway (more than 72%) for getting information on substances. Besides the widely known advantages of using the internet for psychological research, experiences show strong evidence that the internet may not only be a new but in many cases also better tool for research in special psychological fields.