• S&T Moderators: VerbalTruist | Skorpio | alasdairm

Technology Physicians expect almost one-third of their job to be automated by 2040, Stanford Medicine report finds

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
So unfortunately, I was recently a patient at the hospital and I noticed all these health care providers using the term algorithm over and over when talking to me about all aspects of the care they were providing. It was astounding how frequently it was being used. At one point in an hour I heard five different providers use it in reference to seven different topics. It got me thinking of how close we are to automated health care. In fact less than ten seconds went by after it was used and all these medical alarms, bells and whistles went off prompting three nurses to seriously frown roll their eyes and curse "See that things never going to do it." Their attitude was intended to be nonchalant, but there was a clear undertone of resentment and fear

So I enquired whats never going to work while this nightmare of sounds and lights is going off like a insane demonic slot machine. "The automated sitter" They all groaned. "You mean an automated health care robot?" Yep. I wonder if they were in a contest with an automated version of themselves. Both the human health care professionals and the automated counterpart required to follow the exact same algorithm with the results being compared. Or worse were the helping to design algorithms to be used by their eventual automated replacements.

There was some really weird and unesasary things done.. like an injection of three ml of a medicine usually given in doses of 50ml plus. I asked and was told "its the algorithm."

The nurses landcare were great, but the actual medical procedure was pretty bizarre at times.. always the procedure.

So what do you guys think about automated health providers?

al·go·rithm
/ˈalɡəˌriT͟Həm/

noun

1. a process or set of rules to be followed in calculations or other problem-solving operations, especially by a computer.

Last edited: