[US] [New York City] Anxiety in Recovering Opiate Dependence

OpiYum

Greenlighter
I stumbled upon this and thought that some people may be interested in this research study. It's at Beth Israel Hospital in NYC.

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00668265

Anxiety in Recovering Opiate Dependence
This study is currently recruiting participants.
Verified by Beth Israel Medical Center, February 2009
First Received: April 28, 2008 Last Updated: February 20, 2009 History of Changes
Sponsors and Collaborators: Beth Israel Medical Center
AstraZeneca
Information provided by: Beth Israel Medical Center
ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00668265

Purpose
This is a 16 week study of the efficacy of quetiapine in treating symptoms of generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) in subjects with comorbid opiate dependence. The study will be conducted in a prospective, randomized, double-blind, and placebo-controlled fashion. Study subjects will be inpatients at a residential drug-treatment facility, enrolled in a 1 year methadone-to-abstinence treatment plan. Subjects will be randomized to receive either quetiapine or placebo in addition to ongoing drug addiction treatment. Subjects will be followed for 16 weeks and a variety of psychometric assessments will be made. Hypothesis One: Compared to placebo, Quetiapine will demonstrate a greater reduction in symptoms of anxiety in subjects with GAD and remitted comorbid opiate abuse. Exploratory Hypotheses: Compared to placebo, Quetiapine will demonstrate a greater improvement in psychosocial functioning and compliance with community norms in subjects enrolled in a residential drug addiction treatment facility.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took had a strange past life where I took place in the NAOMI project North American Opiate Medicalization Initiative.
They compared Heroin to Methadone as a (small population 4% received Hydromorph( dilaudid) over a one year stabilization then taper. With the option of methadone if required

I have a co existing anxiety problem which i fully believe is the source of my opiate addiction.
My questions is Quetiapine is in what class of drug? It sounds like an opiate, but I also tried Bupurephinine(suboxone) in my fight against opiate addiction. Really it just took a change of attitude and strong family friend support systems

^^^
Quetiapine is Seroquel, which is an atypical anti-psychotic.

I have a huge opiate addiction right now. I take only opiates because of an anxiety disorder I developed after a bad trip on mushrooms. I get horrible anxiety with other drugs, but not opiates, and even during withdrawals my anxiety doesn't really get to the point of bothering me. I guess I'm just lucky?

they had a study about 2 years ago for suboxon they were very nice . i couldnt take the stuff made me sicker than sick

in detox they give ya Seroquel it def helped

I was honestly about to sign up because I would do anything to get my anxiety under control. I'm taking 1mg of klonopin three times a day and it is just ridiculous. I need to go see my doctor and change meds. I was honestly going to apply for this until I read what drug they would be using. I was actually excited about the hope of having a better life.

im on a suboxone treatment program currently. canada is behind the US and some EU countries. but i guess even methadone seems to help some people. so far its keeping sickness and cravings at bay; but it slows my breathing (but ive also sarted smoking a few cigs a day and taking valium. so hard to say which is which.) ill stick to it for the following weeks in any case

i only have my parents who are actively supporting me. does anyone think this is enough? that, change in attitude (most important I think). but i have no friends who support me at all; its like they dont know im here; or leave me to die - that and anxiety were my reason for wanting and loving opiates originally.

so all i can do is keep taking suboxone, working with my parents, trusting myself, get counseling. that should be enough i hope! all hope to all recovering opiate addicts. it is such a curse. just too much. i imagine people with less than i have simply dont recover, ever. but positivity is the best cure i guess. either way i cant get go back to the needle. just CANT. attitude change FTW :p

Again, Cheers for the post. I overheard a friend say that, " But, I too, have SEVERE anxiety and none of it is from opiates, if anything, that is what calmed me down. Opiates are one of the reasons I became addicted. The drugs they are using to equalize are a bit questionable, to say the least. Opiates are a life drug like cigarettes. You see and feel them everywhere you go, Everything reminds you of a tangible hypersensitive experience with them. When you break that, if you do, it takes much more than seroquil to break that. But, I applaud the initial step towards sobriety." That's what he said. Good luck mate

What does it pay? 16 week inpatient, 24/7 drug treament and psych evals. A drug that i know for me doesn't work worth a shit for anxiety, makes me feel like shit in the morning when taken for sleep. Im glad i moved otherwise i would have jumped on this anyway, and undoubtably regretted it. But an addict will do anything for money and drugs i suppose. Get paid and get methadone, an addict would write off anything else involved as a minor speed bump.

It makes you extremely tired but after you develop a tolerance to it and remain coherent, realizing how weird it makes you feel kinda just rustles up any existing anxiety. I wouldn't mind having them again to knock me out when I have persisting insomnia, but that's about it.

Update on this study:

This study has been suspended.
( New PI assigned; IRB needs additional information before "provisional approval" can become "full approval )

We will mark the study terminated, for now.