Bluelight

Thread: Any advice / insight methadone alcohol cirrhosis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details

Hi. Thank you guys for all of your kind and encouraging words and not forgetting about me. I really appreciate it. It's nice to know you all are still out there.
    I wasn't able to see the link from aihfl, it gave me an error message, I'll pm you so maybe I can find it another way.
    I think I figured out why I started all this madness again(aka drinking)
    I think I was feeling a false sense of well being/health?! I dont know what to call it, but from when I first was diagnosed w/cirrhosis (Jan '17) I had extreme edema, legs like tree trunks, huge ankles, feet, stomach(I even had a woman at a job I just started ask if I was pregnant), yellow skin/eyes, constant nausea and my Dr. telling me I needed 6 mos w/no alcohol to be put on the transplant list to now where my swelling is slight, usually just ankles, my belly is still a bit distended, but nothing like it was, my color is normal, bloodwork is "normal"
    (for me anyway.. meaning certain things are always way high or low when you have cirrhosis) and my Dr telling me I'm too "healthy" to be put on transplant list now...even at stage 4!! My MELD score is too low now. I still can't believe it.
    I guess I thought I'm doing so well, I might as well have a couple drinks and on from there...
    Well, I guess it doesn't take a genius to figure all that out, but whatever.
    I quit before for a whole year and a half, so I can do it again. I was given Librium after I got out of the hospital, which I dont have now, but I do have Xanax which I understand to be about the same, as well as Flexeril that I know helps with achiness, muscle spasms/cramps, stuff like that when you're getting off of pretty much anything.
    Anyway, I've rambled on enough for now.

2. Collapse Details

Sober Living
    Hi Leo, I sent you a PM where I cut and pasted my self-detox protocol from that sticky. It's a work in progress so Toothpastedog may have set it to so that only moderators can access it. I hope it is helpful. I don't recommend trying to detox with Xanax because of it's short half life. Librium or Valium are best, or if your liver function is impaired and/or you are prone to seizures, Ativan is best. There's a link to an article from American Family Physician that details detox protocols, along with a link to a benzo equivalence calculator, along with a list of comfort medicines that will help you get some sleep. I should have added Ambien to that list. I got a script for it on Wednesday when I last saw my own shrink and it is lights out before you even know what is happening.
    Struggling with addiction? Join us at Sober Living. We can help.

3. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Sober Living
    Life Advice & Visual Arts
    Other Drugs
    Drugs in the Media
    Look into baclofen OP. It may be really helpful maintaining abstinence from booze, as well as coming off booze.

Alprazolam is better than nothing for coming off alcohol, but it isn’t quite as effective as a longer acting benzo like Librium.

You’d probably benefit more from a diazepam taper or baclofen than alprazolam, but work with what you have.

4. Collapse Details

Sober Living
    ^ TPD, baclofen is not an effective med for detox. It's used when detox has been completed, to help maintain abstinence. It's far from guaranteed, though. I was on it for years and I still drank heavily at times while taking it. I also really have to strongly caution against using Xanax for withdrawals. Due to its short half life it requires frequent re-dosing compared to Librium or Valium. As a result, if one tried to detox off alcohol using Xanax, one would just end up dependent on Xanax instead of alcohol. It's precisely because of the long half life of Librium and Valium that allows doses to be tapered down over five to seven days.
    Struggling with addiction? Join us at Sober Living. We can help.

5. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Sober Living
    Other Drugs
    Drugs in the Media
    ^good to know. It certainly doesn’t seem like it would be a very effective first line detox med, but considering people have mentioned phenibut helped them detox I figure baclofen would be worth exploring if nothing more appropriate was available.

Have you ever tried taking gabapentin or baclofen to help treat alcohol withdrawal? Certainly don’t seem like they’d be as effective as something like diazepam, I’d just assume they were better than nothing (or alpazolam for that matter).

6. Collapse Details

Sober Living
    Gabapentin has some use in detox as a comfort med but none of the agents you mentioned other than benzos are effective anticonvulsants and the real danger of alcohol withdrawal are seizures. As someone who has been through multiple inpatient and outpatient detoxes, a taper using a long half life benzo is really the only safe way to go. Phenibut should be completely avoided as someone withdrawing from alcohol is already has an increased seizure risk and phenibut at high enough doses can induce tonic-clonic seizures.

7. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Sober Living
    Other Drugs
    Drugs in the Media
    Thanks for the info aihfl! It always scared me when folks said there were using phenibut to try and detox from booze. Ugh...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12