• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Coping with chemical imbalance (meth)

cyberius

Bluelight Crew
When I don't use meth my mind gets to be scattered. More and more days go by and this stress and inability to organize my thoughts, pay attention, and express myself builds and builds. I end up getting so restless and claustraphobic it justifies using more to me. I can't even rationalize to myself getting clean because it gets to be just me fighting myself to pay attention or cope with useless anxiety.

Why would I get clean when life is all around less managable when I'm sober? How do I get a better quality of thought and focus when I'm sober? I imagine I'm coping with a messed up pleasure center, it almost completely removes my ability to enjoy anything

Have you tried getting on adderall or dexedrine? Might help man.

I'd love that but I will never be allowed to get stimulant meds (or so I've been told). Doesn't help that I've heard from a physician amphetamines work 80% better than wellbutrin than treating ADHD

you might want to try getting it anyways. a dexedrine prescription spaced out properly is a lot less harmful than meth binges for someone who's had serious struggles with it.

you might want to try getting it anyways. a dexedrine prescription spaced out properly is a lot less harmful than meth binges for someone who's had serious struggles with it.

I'm seeing a therapist after work. That's just it. I strain myself trying to focus at work and I just get this feeling that if I was medicated better I'd be a lot more comfortable and productive.

Is there any otc meds or supplements that have been known to enhance motivation more than just marginally?

It seems that meth addiction is one of the hardest to cope with because of the lack of neurological assistance we get, heroin addicts at least get methadone and regain functionality in a pinch. Instead of the longer term pain sentence we get our problems are mostly psychological in nature so its more akin to having walking brain damage.

I'm seeing a therapist after work. That's just it. I strain myself trying to focus at work and I just get this feeling that if I was medicated better I'd be a lot more comfortable and productive.

Is there any otc meds or supplements that have been known to enhance motivation more than just marginally?

caffeine

a lot of people use nicotine but I do not recommend it

It seems that meth addiction is one of the hardest to cope with because of the lack of neurological assistance we get, heroin addicts at least get methadone and regain functionality in a pinch. Instead of the longer term pain sentence we get our problems are mostly psychological in nature so its more akin to having walking brain damage.

Opiate addiction is no walk in the park. Often drugs like methadone, buprenorphine etc. often end up producing "milder" but longer lasting withdrawal. It's just as miserable to someone who can't cope for a few seconds in that state, let alone days, weeks, months etc.

There are stimulant-ish anti-depressants and other medications that should in theory balance some people out who struggle with meth addiction.

It's going to take awhile for your brain to heal itself. Your going to feel really off during that time. Im not sure a stimulant prescription is really much of an answer it'll probably just make you crave the real thing. At the same time you have nothing to lose trying it. Doesn't necessarily have to be obtained legally either. Though having a professional watching out for you would be nice.