• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Barbiturates... What's with all the hype?

kurups

Bluelighter
Is it not true that Barbiturates feel almost identical to Benzodiazepines only MORE dangerous in that they have an achievable LD50?

I've had Phenobarbital and i was incredibly underwhelmed. I couldn't believe how little i felt (though obviously was due to the relatively low dose) and how exactly similar what i DID feel was to benzos i'd tried previously.

I see a lot of romanticizing of barbs (especially after wolf of wallstreet) but in truth aren't they almost identical in feeling to benzos? with the added bonus of being much more likely to kill your ass (tho admitedly the LD50 is still quite high - but nothing CLOSE to that of benzodiazepines)

Anyways if any of this is untrue i'd like to know so that i'm not spreading misinformation! I suppose what i'm asking is - is there any REAL difference between benzos and barbs? Would a so called 'lemon' quaalude really feel that much better or different from a highish dose of alprazolam ?

Methaqualone smoked is much more euphoric/different than a highest dose of Alprazolam. But pharmacological (or MOA) speaking there isn't much of a difference other then Barbiturates being more toxic, and if I recall correctly. Benzodiazpines increase the frequency of the channel opening at GABA(a) and Barbiturates make those channels open longer.

I've only taken amobarbital in a spansule with amphetamine (they were from the 60s or 70s). They were more calming for me than benzos, no real euphoria, but a feeling that all the world was right. The barbs overpowered the dex to the point where I dosed one after being all up on speed, laid down so that it would stay in, and I suddenly woke up 4 hours later. I could see them being great with opiates or with amps to keep away anxiety.

I think now a days they are harder to come by in most places (because of benzos), so it makes them exotic which people get excited about.

I think now a days they are harder to come by in most places (because of benzos), so it makes them exotic which people get excited about.

Not tried any myself but I definitely agree with this comment. Simple issue of Supply v Demand.

Phenobarbital is the worst example of a barbiturate if you're trying to get recreational effects out of it. When people talk about barbiturate abuse they are almost always referring to the barbs that used to be sold as fast acting sedatives/anxiolytics like amobarbital and secobarbital (Amytal, Seconal, Nembutal, Tuinal, etc). Those are quite a bit more powerful than benzodiazepines for sure.

Phenobarbital on the other hand is more like a long duration anticonvulsant. It's the clonazepam of barbituates, if it makes any sense to say that.

If the only benzo you had tried was clonazepam and you had nver tried alprazolam or any of the fast-acting ones you could be convinced that all benzos are crap.

Also, quaaludes (methaqualone) aren't barbiturates. They're a class of their own.

Also, quaaludes (methaqualone) aren't barbiturates. They're a class of their own.

google says "Quaaludes (methaqualone) are a synthetic, barbiturate-like, central nervous system depressant"

i wonder HOW similar it is?

I've never taken barbiturates. The only one I can get hold of is phenobarbital but that doesn't interest me. I want Seconal or Nembutal.

That said, I have had carisoprodol and GHB, which are much closer to barbiturates than benzodiazepines in their pharmacology. The effects are noticeably different.
Benzos feel a lot more subtle and less 'messy'. It's mostly just a feeling of complete mental and physical relaxation.

Carisoprodol and GHB feel a lot more intoxicating. The feeling is very similar to alcohol, but cleaner and more euphoric.

Diazepam and carisoprodol are my two favorite sedatives. I can't say I prefer one over the other - they are both very euphoric but in different ways.

The barbs overpowered the dex...I could see them being great with opiates...

You can imagine a sedative / depressant that overpowers dexamphetamine being good to combine with opiates? I mean.. in a sense.. I can't help but agree.. but seriously, taking something that puts you to sleep whilst on amphetamines is probably not the smartest thing to take with opiates!

Yes, i think that they put them together in thd spansule so that the bored house wife could fall asleep at the end of the day. It put me down because i had been up all night on dex beforehand.

I meant that they didnt seem very recreational on their own, and would be great in combo with other drugs. But you're right, I wouldn't want some lucky guy finding some combingin them with opiates and dying. Luckily they are rare.

My methadone counselor calls barbs the OLD SCHOOL BENZOS.

He told me they made Benzos due to the fact that barbs were causing too many OD's, and are real shitty drugs. He told me that from experience to barbs.

When I showed him my RX for 1mg Clonazepam, he told me you're really lucky to have a RX for Clonazepam, its the all around best benzo for everything, including anxiety, depression, panic attacks, muscle relaxation, long half life, etc.

I currently have 4 different kinds of benzos on hand today, including all the common ones, Diazepam, Alprazolam, Lorazepam, and my RX of Clonazepam.

In all honesty, I do like my RX of clonazepam better than all those I listed. IME, its a mixture of all 3, the strength of alprazolam, the long half life/muscle relaxation properties of Diazepam, and the overall relaxation of Lorazepam.

So im REALLY blessed to have a RX for Klonopin/Clonazepam. LOVE IT.

Clonazepam works great for anxiety. It does take a longer time to kick in, but it blows lorazepam (unless it is liquid) out of the water. Also, it doesn't have the same risk of OD when attempting suicide <- from my own experience.

Barbiturates are nifty to find, but really not that special besides being able to say you did them.

I disagree. I loved pentobarbital. I had a vial of it, 50mg/mL, and I combined it with everything from speed to heroin.

On its own it was very pleasant. Less "numb" and more "everything is A-OK".

I'd take nembutal over any barb on the market, no question.

Of course it isn't some legendary high or something, it was just "better". Expectations must be tempered accordingly.

I've always wanted to try them...seconal,tuinal ludes'(even though not a barb), sure I would like them as I enjoy anything that works on gaba receptors..except alcohol. Have a feeling they were more euphoric than benzos...

Phenobarbital = sleep

Not very recreational IMO

Neither is Seconal

I heard soma being mentioned....now that mixed wth a joint and a couple if glasses of wine is EXTREMELY pleasant

I know people who are Schizophrenic and bipolar too who take them and abuse them but they think that it helps with their mental illnesses; but these people have a tendency to abuse the barbiturates even though they're prescribed by a medical doctor, or psychiatrist.

Last edited:
Phenobarbital = sleep

Not very recreational IMO

Neither is Seconal

I heard soma being mentioned....now that mixed wth a joint and a couple if glasses of wine is EXTREMELY pleasant
You mean carisoprodol? That's not a barbiturate though to my knowledge.

Benzodiazepines and Barbiturates are lightyears apart in my opinion. The only thing they truly have in common is that they are both CNS depressants. Granted, I have only experienced Barbiturates on a handful of occasions, but I can give you a little bit of reference; I'm in the USA where barbs are extinct except for very rare cases of treatment-resistant insomnia and of course migraine/tension headaches. I have used Secobarbital (or what the pharmacist claimed it to be) a half-dozen times when I was in Asia and Butalbital (compounded with various active ingredients). Being a drug addict, I am also well-versed in the effects of Benzodiazepines, so I feel like I can put some perspective on the subject.

Benzodiazepines, as many others will attest to, do not produce any significant euphoria when abused. They are sedatives ranging from mild and long lasting (Butalibital, Phenobarbital) to potent and short acting and everywhere in between. They are nearly impossible to overdose on when not combined with other CNS depressants, making them relatively safe.

Barbiturates, on the other hand, are what I can only describe as ethanol in pill form. You get most of the same effects that you might get from a Benzodiazepine but with an extra "kick". I would liken the feeling, as a matter of fact, to consuming Benzodiazepines with alcohol. Barbiturates also have a much more narrow therapeutic index than Benzodiazepines i.e. the medically accepted dosage of any given Barbiturate is not far from the dosage which could cause overdose or even death. Barbiturates are great because they can actually produce euphoria on their own. I'm an opioid addict so I always crave opioids, especially after drinking/consuming benzos, but when I used secobarbital, I was content to just relax and enjoy the experience. This is one reason for Barbiturates receiving the present-day hype that they do.

Another possible reason is that they are gone and old-timers talk on and on about how great they were and how all of the stuff we get these days is shit etc. Take note of the massive "cult-following" of Methaqualone in present day, people who "love" Quaaludes often haven't even tried them, they just muse upon how great the effects must be. Yes, I do believe that Barbiturates have a much greater recreational value than Benzodiazepines, but neither are anything to write home about. Opioids will always be king in my book.

Just to clarify, I realize that Methaqualone is not a Barbiturate but being that it's effects profile is so similar, they can practically be compared apples to apples.

I've tried barbs plent of times , and was an avid user of booze weed and benzos

Barbs are not better, recreational, or euphoric.....they knock you straight the funk out .... And I've never tried ludes, but they sure sound fun, one thing that barbs are not