• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Help with quitting Dihydrocodeine

ElBarone

Greenlighter
Please let me know if this is better posted elsewhere

i am at my wits end trying to overcome my dependence on painkillers and i need some fresh thinking!

i’ll try and be brief

I was prescribed dihydrocodeine (DHC) about 7 years ago for broken ribs and since then have been using for lower back pain, and dependency

For those who don’t know (i believe it’s quite rare in the US?) DHC is a low to medium strength opioid roughly 2-3 times stronger than Codeine, however my doses are quite high, ranging from 750mg - 1200mg a day, you divide by about 6 for equivalent with Oxy, so maybe 150-200mg a day? (Equivalences are debatable but this is where i ended up with after endless research!)

i am constantly on tapers or planning tapers, which never last + I don’t think CT is an option, i can’t get past the PAWS, last time was 4 years ago and i got through the acutes but relapsed after 3 weeks due to sheer and utter boredom, irritability and depression, everything was grey and joyless and it was so easy to fix it!

The general pattern now looks a bit like this.. i start a taper, stick to rigid dosing times and amounts, go for 2 weeks or so, relapse at a weekend by taking a big dose because, normally, I’m in a good mood and having a good time and i think, ‘hey lets make it better’, then I’m back to square one..planning my next taper. This has been going on for nearly 5 years (the relentless tapering)

The problem i have is i am not sufficiently motivated to quit..my life is pretty good, and has improved over the last 7 years. I’m in a good place with work and my private life, its not perfect, i have debts, a difficult relationship with my ex wife and suffer from occasional bouts of anxiety and depression, but hey, could be a-lot worse, and as i say, hasn’t worsened since i started the DHC, in fact the opposite.

The DHC has just become part of my life, every 7 hours or so my legs ache and i might become a little sweaty, and i take a handful and it goes, and that’s boring but hardly horrific, especially when compared to the millions of people on medication for illnesses etc, but I spend so much time thinking about it and planning on how to quit, and making sure i don’t run out! It has made me less social and marginally less productive, my focus had suffered too. I would love never to have touched the stuff, but there is not enough there to literally make me quit, and therein lies the problem - i really want to quit

So I can relate to this as I have been addicted to DHC before, and Codeine Phosphate and Tramadol

there are only 3 ways out. First do you get your pills legitimately ? If so then thats a good place to start right there the doctor that prescribed them. You can explain you want off and need to taper off. maybe they can do you a weekly script so you cant abuse too many at one. Thats what they did with me the first time(but in the UK) They sent a bunch of pre-dated prescriptions to the pharmacy and i could only pick them up on the date of the script. But that worked for me but i relapsed like 3 weeks later cos i am weak

2nd is you go CT and go the docs and say please could i have some comfort meds like Clonidine and some sleeping tablets and maybe something to stop the dhiarrea (dont take loads of immodium as you will make the WDs more prolonged) to help with the pain during CT, i also did this successfully a couple of times but once again yes I relapsed

3rd is to see if MAT is an option for you with your doctor but coming off methadone or buprenorphine is insanely difficult, i have also done that and I am never going on bupe again its nasty

good luck which ever you do but i would say thats the 3 options you have so which one would best fit you right this moment if you certain you want to get off it once and for all

Shit, that is a lot, when you put into oxycodone equivalent. I would go with a slow taper and see if you can get Lyrica or gabapentin and as mentioned above Clonidine to ease withdrawals. Careful with the Lyrica or gabapentin. They are addictive.
I am an American so I am unfamiliar with the mentioned drug. I don't know whether or not it has acetaminophen/ paracetamol/ Tylenol in it.
If it does, it is great for you to get off it. The acetaminophen/ paracetamol/ Tylenol will cause more damage than the opiod; provided no overdose. Hopefully your liver is okay, I say that because I can't have meds with acetaminophen/ paracetamol/ Tylenol in them, because of Cirrhosis of the liver. I am paranoid about that, sorry 😞 but keep up trying to get off it. The fact that you want to quit, despite not having destroyed your life and are not falling apart is great, but the fact that it occupies a lot of your thoughts and is good sign to quit. It is great that you recognized this, without destroying your life is also great.

Last edited:
Shit, that is a lot, when you put into oxycodone equivalent. I would go with a slow taper and see if you can get Lyrica or gabapentin and as mentioned above Clonidine to ease withdrawals. Careful with the Lyrica or gabapentin. They are addictive.
Thanks..Lyrica is amazing but i get A horrific rebound from it, even after a couple of days use, like 3-4 days of feeling very ill, so sadly its no longer a runner for me , which is a pity

Have you tried gabapentin, because that with clonidine got me off 24/7 morphine er, for 7+ years and I also switched at the time to a weaker benzo and had no real issues, I did get an extra oxycodone but that only helped a little.
Well anyways, I know there are people who have trouble with Lyrica; gabapentin is kind of like it's little brother, but long term heavy use, according to a lot of people on here can cause bad withdrawals, but if used carefully can work wonders, unless that gives you trouble also.
Best of luck, and try to remain strong.( Yes I know, easier said than done, I have my issues also)😀

Try looking for outpatient facilities that offer opiate substitution therapies. You can go onto suboxone easily but some doctors will offer suspended release morphine and that might be a lot more useful since you can taper down easily