• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Induced paralysis pre-surgery

golego55

Bluelighter
A few months ago I was operated on for knife wounds. I noticed the feeling of paralysis in my body for less than 2 minutes after the drug was administered (my eyes were closed during the paralysis) shortly before surgery. Looking at the medical notes for the "visit" on the "EPIC" patient portal I noticed that I had been given rocuronium, which I suspect to be the causative agent of the paralysis.

The wikipedia article for "Rocuronium bromide" stated that "Since 2016, rocuronium bromide has been the standard drug, along with propofol, administered to patients for euthanasia in Canada.", also stating the states of Ohio/Virginia/Florida had switched to it (as part of a combo of drugs) for lethal injection (2016, 2012, and 2017 respectively).

I apologize for getting off track. But my question was: has anyone else been awake in the state of paralysis for a period of time before being sedated (from any drug, not just rocuronium bromide) for surgery? Was your experience negative or positive? It might sound weird but I found the paralytic effect mentally/emotionally relaxing (not in any pain/anxiety at the time) even if it was only for a few seconds. I wanted to know about anyone else's experience.

Last edited:
rocuronium

That sounds like a really potent drug. I don't know too much about it or anything really.

But I wonder why they chose to give you that.

If it does cause paralysis, it would probably kill Me. But that's just my opinion.

I have been put out from anesthesia many times. It's like death to me.

And is just my opinion because I really don't know how to explain death then.

Sounds very interesting however. Why would they use that particular injection

is what intrigues me. Okay !!

"Rocuronium is a non-depolarizing neuromuscular blocker widely used to produce muscle relaxation to help facilitate surgery and ventilation of the lungs in elective and emergent situations."

It's a safer curare derivative. Remember curare, the Amazon dart poison? It works by relaxing all muscles including the lungs. When they noticed that a curare victim lived just fine when ventilated, they began using derivatives to relax all muscles during surgery. Yes, they use it in executions where they obviously don't ventilate.

As long as they ventilate you, there are no adverse effects.

Last edited:
"Rocuronium is a non-depolarizing neuromuscular blocker widely used to produce muscle relaxation to help facilitate surgery and ventilation of the lungs in elective and emergent situations."

It's a safer curare derivative. Remember curare, the Amazon dart poison? It works by relaxing all muscles including the lungs. When they noticed that a curare victim lived just fine when ventilated, they began using derivatives to relax all muscles during surgery. Yes, they use it in executions where they obviously don't ventilate.

As long as they ventilate you, there are no adverse effects.
Thanks for the info.