Next Mexican admin: US legal marijuana vote changes 'rules of the game' in drug war

First came marijuana as medicine. Now comes legal pot for the people.

Those who have argued for decades that legalizing and taxing weed would be better than a costly, failed U.S. drug war have their chance to prove it, as Colorado and Washington became the first states to allow pot for recreational use.

While the measures earned support from broad swaths of the electorate in both states Tuesday, they are likely to face resistance from federal drug warriors. As of Wednesday, authorities did not say whether they would challenge the new laws.

Pot advocates say a fight is exactly what they want.

"I think we are at a tipping point on marijuana policy," said Brian Vicente, co-author of Colorado's marijuana measure. "We are going to see whether marijuana prohibition survives, or whether we should try a new and more sensible approach."

Soon after the measures passed, cheering people poured out of bars in Denver, the tangy scent of pot filling the air, and others in Seattle lit up in celebration.

Authorities in Colorado, however, urged caution. "Federal law still says marijuana is an illegal drug, so don't break out the Cheetos or Goldfish too quickly," said Democratic Gov. John Hickenlooper, who opposed the measure.

As the initial celebration dies down and the process to implement the laws progresses over the next year, other states and countries will be watching to see if the measures can both help reduce money going to drug cartels and raise it for governments.

Governments in Latin America where drugs are produced for the U.S. market were largely quiet about the measures, but the main adviser to Mexico's president-elect said the new laws will force the U.S. and his country to reassess how they fight cross-border pot smuggling.

Analysts said that there would likely be an impact on cartels in Mexico that send pot to the U.S., but differed on how soon and how much.

Both measures call for the drug to be heavily taxed, with the profits headed to state coffers. Colorado would devote the potential tax revenue first to school construction, while Washington's sends pot taxes to an array of health programs.

Estimates vary widely on how much they would raise. Colorado officials anticipate somewhere between $5 million and $22 million a year. Washington analysts estimated legal pot could produce nearly $2 billion over five years.

Both state estimates came with big caveats: The current illegal marijuana market is hard to gauge and any revenue would be contingent upon federal authorities allowing commercial pot sales in the first place, something that is very much still in question.

cont at
http://www.kotanow.com/story/20034908/pot-votes-in-2-states-challenge-us-drug-war

marajuana_360.jpg

The main adviser to Mexico's president-elect says votes legalizing recreational marijuana in the U.S. states of Washington and Colorado will force the Mexican government to rethink its efforts on halting marijuana smuggling across the border.

Luis Videgaray is the man in charge of President-elect Enrique Pena Nieto's presidential transition. He tells Radio Formula that the Pena Nieto administration that takes office in three weeks remains opposed to drug legalization. But he says the votes in the two U.S. states complicate Mexico's commitment to quashing pot growing and smuggling.

cont at
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/1...al-marijuana-vote-changes-rules-game-in-drug/

The rats are fleeing the sinking ship!

Folley, this is what I was talking about when I brought up the cartels in the Washington thread.

deaf eye;11042161 said:
noone wants their crappy mexican dirt weed anyway

damn right. best weed in the usa is most likely grown pretty darn close to wherever you live.

"free market" my ass. we live in a do-as-youre-told-and-dont-ask-questions market. go ahead and flood our border with your poop schwag. a free market would just respond with some surplus cannabis cup cross medicinal strains ;)

Yo quiero Mexico.

Cali is dumb as dirt. We should surrender to Mexico immediately. I've said this repeatedly.

That way I wouldn't have to go to school to be a pharmacist, and I could get ativan without having to go to the doctor.

Besides, I understand Spanish better than I do Arnold.

I would be glad to be a white English only Mexican. Just move the border. Es Bueno.

Independent

Friday 09 November 2012

With reader comments

The decision by voters in Colorado and Washington state to legalize the recreational use of marijuana has left President-elect Enrique Pea Nieto and his team scrambling to reformulate their anti-drug strategies in light of what one senior aide said was a referendum that "changes the rules of the game."

It is too early to know what Mexico's response to the ballot measures will be, but Pea Nieto's top aide said the incoming administration will discuss the issue when he heads to Washington this month for meetings with President Barack Obama and congressional leaders. The decision, however, is expected to spark a broad debate in Mexico about the direction and costs of the U.S.-backed drug war here.

Mexico spends billions of dollars each year confronting violent trafficking organizations that threaten the security of the country but whose main market is the United States, the largest consumer of drugs in the world.

With Washington's urging and support, Mexican soldiers roam the mountains burning clandestine plantations filled with marijuana destined for the United States. Mexico's police and military last year seized almost as much marijuana as did U.S. agents working the Southwest border region.

About 60,000 Mexicans have been killed in drug violence, and tens of thousands arrested and incarcerated. The drug violence and the state response to narcotics trafficking and organized crime has consumed the administration of outgoing President Felipe Calderon.

"The legalization of marijuana forces us to think very hard about our strategy to combat criminal organizations, mainly because the largest consumer in the world has liberalized its laws," said Manlio Fabio Beltrones, leader of Pea Nieto's party in Mexico's Congress.

More...
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...could-change-antidrug-strategies-8300222.html

the prez elect probly just doesnt like it cuz he is in the pockets of the cartels and it will hurt business. i wouldnt be surprised anyway.

Since when does the U.S. give a flying fuck what Mexico thinks as long as it's enforcing American policy?

This is just propaganda to try and turn the results of the vote against WA and CO. Don't give into it.

The border drug war will continue because it's profitable for law enforcement for it to continue. Mexico was about to legalize pot during the Bush Admin until it was threatened with economic sanction, so its government should stop acting all high and mighty.

The border wars would END if sane drug policy like the ones in WA/CO were implemented tomorrow on national scales. Drug lords should not be in control of cannabis, and there is no reason why people should be getting shot to death at the border over a plant!

It's so easy to grow at home indoors, I wasn't aware border smuggling was a problem with marijuana. The people I have met who buy or sell these kind of things certainly don't bother with random drug cartel marijuana, not when they're obsessive enough to grow much better stuff.

take the power from the cartels then the violence in mexico will stop, the most effective way to debilitize any orginization is to hit them economicallly, money makes the world turn. It's how the U.S defeated the soviets we beat them economically during the cold war, starve the cartels income and you significantly shrink their size, influence and abilities.Not to mention pot shouldn't be associated with such violent criminal activity, pot was here before the govt. laws and it will be here when the laws are gone, it will exist reagrdless of any laws or measures.

Weed makes a little money for the cartel. They make most of it through violence or harder drugs.