US - Prescription for effectiveness

A state owned database for people's prescription history?

What's to prevent that data from being mined and given to the companies who make the drugs? That data would be amazing for economic and marketing purposes. You would know exactly which demographic uses your drug the most and where to focus your advertising budget.

Also, do you want the government knowing you're an oxycontin addict? All government databases cross-connect in today's world because of homeland security.

Maybe I'm paranoid but I'd rather only my doctor have this info about me.

Prescription for effectiveness

bilde

Cindy Harney of Sarasota visits the gravesite of her son, Garrett, who died of a prescription drug overdose in 2006. He was 20 years old. Cindy Harney was instrumental in pushing the Legislature to create a prescription drug database.

Recently, we called upon the governor and Legislature to approve new funding for Florida's prescription drug database, by which the medical community and law enforcement can monitor the sale of powerful painkillers and other controlled substances.

Last week we learned that funding -- though vital -- is not enough: Florida's year-old database program needs teeth.

An investigative report by the Tampa Bay Times, published Sunday, revealed that only 8 percent of Florida physicians have ever checked the database before prescribing the painkiller oxycodone and other powerful -- and too often deadly -- drugs.

Pharmacists who fill those prescriptions are even less likely to check the database, the Times reported.

"Who would be opposed to this?" Cindy Harney of Sarasota asked a Times reporter. Harney, whose 20-year-old son Garrett died of a prescription drug overdose in 2006, went to Tallahassee to fight for creation of the drug database.

"Who would ever be opposed to saving a life?"

The reason for the failure of most of doctors and pharmacists appears to be simple: Nothing in the law requires them to check.

The law governing the database has only one requirement: Dispensers of the drugs, usually pharmacists, must enter the prescription's details into the state's online program within seven days.

Amend the law

We would like to think that physicians and pharmacists entrusted with caring for the sick would voluntarily take the time -- estimated at a minute or less -- to check a database designed to prevent drug abuse and deaths from overdose. After all, prescription drug abuse kills an average of more than six people a day in Florida.

Obviously, such concern must be mandated. We urge the Legislature to amend the database law to require doctors and pharmacists to consult the database before writing or filling prescriptions for the specified controlled substances.

Given the lack of participation in the program, it's amazing that Florida has begun to stem the tide of prescription drug abuse.

Two years ago, lack of a prescription drug database in Florida and other lax laws encouraged the growth of illicit pain clinics. Drug dealers and abusers swarmed into the state to make high-volume purchases.

Florida became known as America's "pill mill capital."

Creation of the database and other steps taken by Florida in the past year to regulate pain clinics are finally helping to clean up the state's image.

In January, the federal Drug Enforcement Administration announced that:

• Sales of oxycodone, one of the most abused prescription drugs, fell 20 percent from 2010 to 2011.

• Florida doctors bought 97 percent less oxycodone last year than in 2010.

• In 2010, 90 of the top oxycodone-buying physicians were in Florida. Last year, that number dropped to 13.

Just imagine how successful Florida's efforts would be if more than one doctor in 12 were using the database.

Kentucky's example offers some insight.

After years of voluntary use of Kentucky's prescription drug database, the Times reported, "just one in five prescribers were using the system." The system processed about 2,900 requests a week.

Last year, Kentucky mandated participation. Now the system gets 95,000 weekly inquiries.

Every state except Missouri has a drug database or laws requiring the creation of one. Twelve states have approved mandates.

Florida should be the next.

But first, the Legislature needs to ensure the future of Florida's drug database.

Unreasonable restrictions on the funding of the database -- denying not only state dollars but contributions from pharmaceutical companies -- were written into the legislation to appease Gov. Rick Scott and others who initially opposed the bill. Financial support was limited to grants and donations.

Those limited funds are on the verge of drying up. The state officials who operate the database have only enough money to last through next June.

Ideally, the Legislature would provide annual funding for this critical program,which costs about $500,000 a year. At a minimum, it should remove the restriction on funding by drug companies.

Purdue Pharma, the maker of the OxyContin brand of oxycodone, has offered to contribute $1 million toward funding the Florida database. That money alone would fund the database two years.

That at least would give the state time to figure out a more suitable way to preserve this worthwhile program.

Need is clear

Also, while ensuring, at a minimum, interim funding for the database, the Legislature should change the law to require participation by all physicians who prescribe federally controlled medications and all pharmacists who fill those prescriptions.

The painkillers and sedatives tracked by the database are invaluable to patients who need them; those patients' access should not be unnecessarily impeded. But the need to maintain the database, mandate participation and provide strict penalties for noncompliance is clear.

If legislators need additional motivation to strengthen the database program, they should talk to Cindy Harney.

"It's not going to save my boy," she told the Times. "But think of all the others it could save."

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20121015/OPINION/310159995?p=1&tc=pg

so far all i've seen the database used for is preventing people from getting their legit medications. It's probably a safe bet that 1/3 of floridians are addicted to oxy.

Not too sure why people are panicking over the stae-run database thing. Even if they give all their data to Purdue, what's gonna happen? We all know how well the public looks upon narcotic advertisements after this whole oxycodone thing blew up. Really my only concern is it makes it easy to identify and harass high volume consumers.

I do belive opiate painkillerz are prescribed quite loosley.They are in the UK and what i,ve read in america also.So sorry for the ladys loss of her son heartbreaking!!. There needs to be a more stringent system when it comes to prescribing opiate painkillers i feel.This is coming from a person who is battling Addiction to Dihydrocodeine!!!!

HIPAA specifically prohibits commercial release of your health info. I have access to the Illinois database, and I have never had any experiences of abuse of the info. That being said, it is fucked that such a thing exists in the first place.

panic_the_digital;11028369 said:
HIPAA specifically prohibits commercial release of your health info.

Except, I know that insurance companies can use the data to deny new costumers coverage, or jack up the prices.

Though not for long. Unless Romney wins.

Not to be offtrack, but Florida is still fun as fuck.
The community and Pharmacy workers have good, current dialouge about this passing issue.

It can be fun for some. While all these precautions are being taken in florida it makes many Floridian Doctors quite scared of breaking any laws. My parents live in florida, they dont abuse drugs but both have pain problems. They do not go to pain management clinics because they are scared of getting "busted" and their doctor only put more fear into them by how strict he is with even hydrocodone.

Florida issues are not fixed in the least, and because of the people that come out of state to abuse the problems I feel like it causes twice as big of a pain for those who legit need pain medication inside florida.

There will always sadly be casualties of war on drugs, you can die from to much water. Legit pain patients i feel sorry for.

People died....pass law....hurt pain patients.....not good enough still addicts......pass another law.....suicide rates skyrocked ( but why? )...... heroin epidemic.

Keep pushing this shit govornment, pain patients won't get relief......junkies still will. When you make it so junkies can not get high on scripts and pat yourselves on the back for there being almost no diversion you will then be battling a heroin epidemic.

They've done this up here too in my part of Canada. It is pretty much impossible to double doctor anything stronger then a benzo here. Of course there are still ways around the fence but this has all lead to more IV drug use (instead of popping or snorting oxy people are IVing morphine and dilaudid) Heroin use has also gone up.

when roxy prices went up i just switched to H while i understand this mother is in pain she is just placing the blame somewhere else

These doctors and pharmacists who are not checking need to have a "3 strikes and you're out" system - if they keep prescribing without checking the database then they get struck off. Simple.

It should be made law as these are severely potent and potentially addicting substances being synthesized.

B
^fully agree. moar laws, we cannot take care of ourselves and must be protected :|

florida's pill situation, while "getting better" from the POV of prohibitionists, is fuct because of all the rules in the 1st place.

Protip: junkies don't care about your laws, and while oxy/dilaudid are preferable, there will *always* be high-potency opiates to fill junkie demand. This is so basic and obvious that, moral/ethical issues aside, it destroys any practical validity to prohibition.

Yes just what we need more protection from ourselves! Fuck off ye law and order types and let me enjoy me speedballs and beer while doing 100 down the road.

B
if you wanna do speedballs at home it's your right to do so. If you're driving that's a different story.
/you already know that tho

Suggestion : put the source on the homepage with the articles! it looks like bluelight supports prohibition sort of the way this herald worded the article...

^ Thanks, I didn't even realise it was on the front page. Do they just add certain DITM articles there or something? I've never really checked that page much at all, I just go straight to the several forums I frequent and have bookmarked.

The article on the front page says it has 1 comment, but when you click into it all these comments show, I guess that's a bug?