• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Anyone here a member of a mystery school?

honEbee

Bluelighter
Just curious as to who is a member of what group. And what you think of their teachings? Are you gaining a lot or not?

Ok I popped the phrase "mystery school" into a search engine and come up with an answer. Its a school that essentially teaches altered states, shamanism, paganism, magick and various other stuff. Not much of a mystery.

If anyone out there has been in such a school it would be cool to post your experiences. I havent been in one, do they have like 3yr courses or something with diplomas? Anyway.. you dont have to give the name of your school if you dont want too (and ya can post anonymously via a new nick), just think it would be cool to hear what you learned and thought about it. Overall it sounds like a prety cool subculture to our ever developing global society. hey, I even found a christian mystery school. Go figure.

Last edited:
wow what a wicked amazing thread...i'm waiting for someone else to post their stories first though.

or atleast till I can come up with something interesting to say...these things aren' easilly expressed.

LOL -- there aren't literal mystery schools, are there? I always assumed it was being used more in a way like "school of thought" -- a group or discipline with particular 'mystery' practices. Like the Freemasons might be considered a mystery school, for example.

I think a modern day mystery school is probably an more like an attempt to recreate an experience like the Eleusian mysteries, or something to that effect. I could be wrong though.

I know some Jungian psychodynamic theorists have wrote about "mystery schools" (check out Masters and Houston, who cowrote "Varieities of Psychedelic Experience"), but I haven't really read up on them, so I can't say much about it.

just wanted to say that void's avataar rocks...

(sorry, back to you regular scheduled thread)

zorn said:
LOL -- there aren't literal mystery schools, are there? I always assumed it was being used more in a way like "school of thought" -- a group or discipline with particular 'mystery' practices.

No, from what I understand they are actualy schools where you go to and learn. Kind of like university with courses and classess, and some even have distance learning if you are not near a temple/church/class whatever.

I dont really know what to make out of 'em, it would be good to learn that stuff in a structured place with experienced people if you were into it. But on the other hand it would have to be a place your comftable in, and that you click with the philosophy of the place and the people. I'd assume there were good places and not so good ones. I am really surprised I found a christian one though, it teaches mystasism, occult bible, and other stuff from what I read.

OK OK, in my Ouspensky book ot talks heaps about "Schools". They are just called schools. Schools have a basis in teachings that come from a higher mind. They serve to teach and allow teaching. They are always esoteric is what Ouspensky says.

So me I do Kung-Fu, which is definately a school. It's mostly like Taoism, we follow the Way of the White Dragon. You put all of yourself into what you are doing. You are responsible: if you make a mistake, you must fix it. No excuses, just do it. It's rather like being a Warrior.....

Yeah, hope I didn't freak you all out by actually giving a proper answer ;)

it is only mysterious to us because of what we think higher learning is?

Sorry guys. I had forgotten I posted this and just came back to read it.

Well, Void is right about what they teach. A lot of schools are done like clubs, etc. where you go in and learn directly from the other members. Mine is a little different though (see next paragraph). The main advantage of these schools (IMO) is to pass down the iniatic part of learning these lessons (that has been done for centuries). The thing about iniation is that esoteric things work through your mind (creating in the astral first to manifest them) and the more you can make these things special and impress them upon your subconscious the better results you get. Of course as you get better and start seeing results and *know* that these things work, the less ritualistic stuff you have to do. But, not just anyone is given access to this knowledge. They do screen you to make sure you won't abuse the things they teach you.

I'm a member of the Rosicrucians. What they do is send out lessons each month for you to read, learn from and then practice their "experiments" to help prove to yourself that what they are saying is correct - instead of leaving you to blindly believe in anything. The higher up you go the more you get into the esoteric stuff.

Some other groups would be the Freemasons and the Golden Dawn.

Last edited:
Well, yeah, the Freemasons have a backdrop in so called spiritual teachings, but they are overall a political group and not centered around knowledge and understanding. But if you join a group, and do not get a good vibe from it I suggest you leave asap. You can also just talk long distance learning so that you get the info without having to get into close contact with the politics. But of coarse there are different levels for this, and I dont think they all go very deep into the profound. I havent had contact with one myself though.

My grandfather was a freemason in the scottish rite. I didn't think it was a particularly mystical group, though the initiation supposedly reenacts some mythological occurence from the Egyptian religions. It seems more like a "good old boys club" where members give each other a leg up in society.

Of course, haven't all our presidents except Kennedy been freemasons? (I don't think Catholics can be them for some reason). That in and of itself is a little weird.

Isn't mystery and mistisism very different? Masons are christian based and though they are certianly mysterious and underground my experience tells me they just capatilize on the mystisism of others.

The etymological root of mystery and mysticism is the same, and meaningwise they are not too different either. Mysticism is to find that which is a mystery.

so being a mason gives you the insight of knowing what they keep secret thus making you a mistic? I see what you are saying and though it is true , a true mystic is far more then someone who discovers where his keys have been lost.