[AUS] People who use ecstasy

Tronica

Executive Director
Staff member
I'm coming in a bit late with this... has been advertised on front page of pillreports for a month now:

PERTH people are especially in demand!

Researchers throughout Australia would like to talk to people who use ecstasy.

Interviews take about an hour and are strictly confidential and anonymous. You will be reimbursed for your time and expenses.

ALL INFORMATION YOU PROVIDE WILL REMAIN CONFIDENTIAL

Please contact the researchers in your state or territory for further information or to make an appointment. If you reach voice mail please leave a name and contact number and someone will get back to you.

If you are in Adelaide:

Call Rachel at UNSW on (02) 9385 0256 or 0410 847 033 or email [email protected]. Interviews will be conducted at a location convenient to you.

If you are in Canberra:

Contact Sheena at UNSW by email [email protected] or call (02) 9385 0254 or SMS 0424 446 493. Interviews will be conducted at ANU, UC or at an agreed public location convenient for you.

If you are in Darwin:

Contact Benjamin at UNSW by email [email protected] or call (02) 9385 0264 or SMS 0424556322. Interviews will be conducted at a location convenient for you.

If you are in Perth:

Call Jessica on (08 ) 9266 3552 or 0416 303 461 at the National Drug Research Institute, Curtin University of Technology or email [email protected]. Interviews will be conducted at a central location of convenience.

If you are in Brisbane or the Gold Coast:

Call Fairlie at the Queensland Alcohol and Drug Research and Education Centre (QADREC), University of Queensland on (07)3365 5443 or 0434606981, SMS, or email [email protected]. Interviews will be conducted at the Centre in Herston or at other central locations.

If you are in Sydney:

Call Laura on (02) 9385 0407 at the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, UNSW, or SMS your details to 0404 786 677 or email [email protected]. Interviews will be conducted at the centre in Randwick or at a location convenient for you.

If you are in Melbourne:

Call Phuong at the Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health Research (CEPHR), Macfarlane Burnet Institute for Medical Research and Public Health, on (03) 9282 2137 or 0451 115 126 or email [email protected]. Interviews will be conducted either at the centre or at an agreed public location.

If you are in Hobart:

Call the research team at the University of Tasmania on (03) 6226 7697 or SMS 0409 803 813 to leave a name and contact number and someone will get back to you, or email [email protected]. Interviews will be conducted at a location convenient to you.

We look forward to chatting with you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Please, tell your friends.

I think people who have never participated in research can be a bit apprehensive, but if a friend of theirs has done it and it went well, it can help them get over their concerns :)

PERTH ecstasy users, do you exist? Please contact NDRI as per above if you are interested in participating in research.

@shro0m - I believe it is $40

@tranq - Yes, that's half the problem. But for those few who do have some access or *think* they do, Curtin is still hoping to contact them.

Is there going to be any interviews further down south of WA?I would like to do it n i think a few mates would too but were not too keen on driving 2 hours to do a interview

is anything still going for qld? :-D do you know if it is payed research?

^ you might have left it too late but it can't hurt to email or call Fairlie. At worst she may be able to include you in next year's study? I did an interview with her about a month ago at the UQ pop health building (next to Royal Brisbane & Womens Hospital in Herston), she's really nice :) Standard interviewees do get reimbursed some cash, "industry experts" get chocolates.

For the research study at QUT Kelvin Grove a couple months ago I sent email asking what's involved and got response:

The Ecstasy Check-up gives people who use ecstasy (as well as other substances) a chance to talk about their ecstasy use without worrying about feeling any pressure to change. If you’re interested, we can provide you with some information about the effects of ecstasy as well as some hints for how to reduce your use or the harms associated with it. Any decision about whether you want to make a change in your ecstasy use is completely up to you.

We do this in a few steps:

1. Phone screen: We will first contact you to check that you are eligible for the study.

2. echeck-up: A researcher will interview you to learn about your experiences with ecstasy and other substances to assess whether or not you are eligible for the study. As we are evaluating the usefulness of different forms of echeck-ups, we will then randomly allocate you to either a one-session brief motivational intervention or an educational-only intervention. You have an equal chance of being in either group. We are available for these interviews Monday to Friday generally between 9am and 5pm and it will take up to 2hrs.

3. Follow-up assessments: We will then contact you approximately 4, 16 and 24 weeks after the Check-Up appointment to ask you some questions about your substance use and issues related to your use. We can contact you either by telephone or in person – it takes 5 minutes. You will also be asked to fill out a questionnaire package at each follow-up assessment: this can be completed electronically at home.

You will be reimbursed at the baseline and follow-up visits to compensate for your time ($25 for the first assessment, $35 for the follow-up assessment at 4 weeks, and $40 each for the 16 and 24 week follow-ups- a total of $140 if you complete all of the assessments).

We believe that the echeck-up will give people who use ecstasy and/or other substances a chance to find out a bit more about ecstasy use and its effects and discuss their use with an unbiased person. We can also help you decrease your ecstasy use, if this is what you would like to do.

In order to protect participants' confidentiality, each participant will be assigned and ID number. All ecstasy-related information will be stored under this number and contact details will be kept separately from other information gathered throughout the study. In any publication, information will be provided in such a way that you cannot be identified.

Didn't end up going in as it was a bit out of my way- not sure if that study's still on.

Thanks saboteur. We actually already have a thread for that study, see: http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/501674-AUS-NSW-amp-Qld-Brief-intervention-for-adult-ecstasy-users

Fieldy, they usually only recruit for the study advertised in this thread for a couple of months around May to July, so I'd say it would be closed now. First results come out October/November, with full report in April. Then recruitment starts again in May. So keep your eye out for the 2012 intake (yes it is paid research).