[AUS] Survey on OTC codeine use

Also what is with hoptis claiming Bluelight isnt pro drugs? You can learn how to grow lush weed plants from the cannabis section on this forum, providing information on how to grow plants more efficiently would to me be classed as being pro drug.

I'm talking about the stance the board and it's staff take, or should be taking, and that is one that neither condones or condemns drug use. It'd be a shame if people were reading the drug forums on BL and getting the message that drug use is encouraged or a brilliant idea.

Were not blameing the survey on the recent news, were just pointing out that there is only one way for the government when it comes to drugs and we would rather not add fuel to the fire.

We are intrested in HR but keep in mind we are also drug users (and addicts). We want to protect our own intrests(as selfish as it sounds)as well. Dont want to bite the hand that feeds us, and drawing attention to Codeine abuse will be taking a good snap.

I think we have good reason to feel this way. We simply have learned from history.

It makes sense that drug users want to protect their interests. It's true that it's a rare occasion when Government interests and drug user interests are the same: unfortunately, these two groups are usually working towards a different goal.

I accept that, but I do think it is unfortunate and *I know* it is not the only way. I hope that, in the next couple of decades, there can be more issues upon which drug users and the government agree upon. Indeed, if we can break down the stereotypical divisions surrounding drug use, people will see that drug users are actually in government ;)

static_mind: are the goals of Harm Reduction that much in conflict with the goals of a self-interested drug user?
(IMO, most drug users want to enjoy themselves without killing themselves...?)

I think we have good reason to feel this way. We simply have learned from history.

I don't doubt there is good reason for this feeling. My question is: if policy will be made anyway regardless, do we want it made based on evidence or on ignorance?

Research beats ignorance every time. I did the codeine survey and I'm sure I'm one of the heavier users of CWE codeine. Places like Turning Point are dedicated to harm reduction, and from my personal experience with them over the last decade, they are on "our" side.

Codeine is metabolized to C6G by uridine diphosphate glucuronosyl transferase (UGT) 2B7 and since only about 5% of codeine is metabolized by cytochrome P450 CYP2D6, the current evidence is that C6G is the primary active compound. [6] Claims about the supposed "ceiling effect" of codeine doses seemed to rest on the assumption that high doses of codeine saturated CYP2D6 which prevented further conversion of codeine to morphine, which is simply incorrect. There is also no evidence that CYP2D6 inhibition is useful in treating codeine dependence, [7] though the metabolism of codeine to morphine (and hence further metabolism to glucuronide morphine conjugates) does have an effect on the abuse potential of codeine. Any comments?

Hi mmodred123

You might want to repost your comment in its own thread somewhere like Advanced Drug Discussion? This thread is specifically for discussion regarding the research project mentioned in the first post :)

over the counter codien pills dont do a thing to me here in canada they put a crap load of caffine in them , so you suffer more from the jitters than anything they dont do a thing i did the cold water extraction method

A journal article from this study has been published:

Nielsen, S., Cameron, J. Lee, N. (2011) Characteristics of a nontreatment-seeking sample of over-the-counter codeine users: Implications for intervention and prevention. Journal of Opioid Management, 7(5), 363-370.

Abstract
Objectives: Recently, there has been considerable policy and public interest in the availability of over-the-counter (OTC) codeine. Case reports demonstrating severe harm from OTC codeine have been published. However, few studies have examined how people use these products and who develops dependence. The aim of this study was to better understand who develops problematic use of OTC codeine. Design and setting: The authors conducted a web-based survey with people who self-reported OTC codeine use. Eight hundred participants completed the survey that examined codeine use and dependence, pain, and general physical and mental health. Results: Codeine-dependent people differed from nondependent codeine users on a range of characteristics. They were younger, had lower levels of employment and education, and were more likely to report family history of substance dependence. They were more likely to have taken well above recommended doses of OTC codeine and have taken codeine for considerably longer periods of time than recommended. Codeine-dependent people in this study differed markedly from other populations of opioid-dependent people recruited to research in Australia and were more similar to the general population, suggesting that a web-based survey may have reached an under-researched population of opioid-dependent people. Conclusions: How best to use these findings to identify at-risk OTC codeine users requires consideration. Approaches aimed at reducing harm from prescription opioids may be difficult to implement in pharmacy settings. Implications for pharmacists and other health professionals are discussed.

I have not been able to access the full-text as yet. If anyone else has access to Journal of Opioid Management, please PM me! ta :)

Like this, unless I am missing something, why do so few of the surveys actually publish their results? From the look I just had, only a few publish either preliminary findings or links to them (or the project site). The links to the Call out results seem just to revert to the Drug Studies menu. Feel free to point out what I am missing, I won't be offended. I am a tad tired after all. And I did just have a ball Reading half the presentations for a university seminar...I do love surveys but also love to see the results.

Hi NINDY

Good question. We encourage researchers to come back to these trends with their results, and in fact, we try to follow them up and ask them to post results or Google them and try and find the corresponding results ourselves. This takes time though so we have not gotten through every study! But in the case of this thread, they have published results. Unfortunately due to copyright, I can't post a direct link but can send you one by email if you PM me.

Would be great if more researchers remembered that we assisted them in their original quest for participants and therefore wouldn't mind hearing back from them. Unfortunately it would be out of their own ethics as researchers are not rewarded for engaging with the community (that is, people don't win fellowships or new academic positions due to community engagement - it's all about their academic record). No excuse really, but I think that does explain why we don't see as many come back as we would hope.