Best Cover Songs

eh, well the first band that comes to mind when I read this thread title was metallica. I don't even like metal, but I like them a lot. I think they embrass every band they cover because they do the song 100 times better.

-poste

^^
I agree in some respects, I think their covers of 'Stone Cold Crazy' and 'Am I Evil?' are better than the originals...

I'm amazed no one has mentioned "All Along the Watchtower.' Everyone and their mom has covered that song.

I really hate anyone who covers Beatles material, but a lesser known band, the gufs do one hell of a "come together" cover.

Sublime's cover of "We're only gonna die for our Arrogance" originally by Bad Religion.

MEGADETH - Black Sabbath's "PARANOID"

love that fucking song!

Sublime's cover of "We're only gonna die for our Arrogance" originally by Bad Religion.

Biohazard's version is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better.

beanergrl said:
Jimmy Buffet (shut up, don't laugh, i'm a fla girl) does a remake of Southern Cross,by Crosby Stills & Nash. I never really cared much for the original but i love Jimmys cover of it. He owns that song.

I also like UB40's Many Rivers To cross orginally by Jimmy Cliff & their cover of Red,Red, Wine orginally by Niel Diamond, i think.

But my very favorite would be Phish's cover of Snoops Gin & Juice as dark_angel177 already mentioned. I listen to that song often. I didnt even know what most of the words were intill Phish covered it.

i know i'm missing tons of songs but that's all i can think of right now.

I think Red Red wine was originally a ballad done by Kenny Rogers....

I loved Nirvana covering The meat Puppets... and that one song they covered, that I know the meat puppets covered also..off of live in New York City

Although I cringe to give the guy credit, I would have to say Marilyn Manson's 'Sweet Dreams'.

Elixir's cover of Ani Difranco's 'Overlap' is everything and more than what a jazz cover should be.

bong420tripper said:
I'm amazed no one has mentioned "All Along the Watchtower.' Everyone and their mom has covered that song.

It was mentioned. Jimi Hendrix. Greatest cover song ever. The Greatful Dead did a very good cover of it too.

Another favorite of mine was already mentioned, Sympathy for the Devil re-done by Jane's Addiction... fucking awesome.

There are two full albums of Hendrix cover tunes that are amazing:
In From The Storm (my favorite cut- Burning of the Midnight Lamp)
Stone Free (Spanish Castle Magic)

Web said:
It was mentioned. Jimi Hendrix. Greatest cover song ever. The Greatful Dead did a very good cover of it too.

I really hate the Dave Matthews Band, but they did(as in not anymore) a good job of covering it as well.

here's some of my fav's

Type O Negative - Black Sabbath ( Black Sabbath )
Metallica - Whiskey In The Jar ( Thin Lizzy )
Korn - One ( Metallica )
Johnny Cash - Rusty Cage ( Soundgarden )
Marilyn Manson - Down In The Park ( Gary Newman )

Airon Later

Devo - Head Like a Hole (NIN, though I heard Prince originally did it(?))
Radiohead - After the Goldrush (Neil Young)
Deftones - Say It Ain't So (Weezer)

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Higher Ground, originally done by Stevie Wonder
Foo Fighters - Baker Street, originally done by Gerry Rafferty
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Fire, originally done by Jimi Hendrix

Five Iron Frenzy:
It's Not Unusual (Tom Jones)
Sweet Talking Woman (ELO)
Mama Mia (ABBA)
Everywhere I Go (Amy Grant)

Ani Difranco did a live cover of "When You Were Mine" (Prince/Cyndi Lauper) that took the song to a whole new level of saaaad....

Radiohead - nobody does it better (Carly Simon)

In the words of Thom Yorke "This is the sexxiest song ever written".

can't believe no-one's mentioned jamiroquai's version of sunny (the one from concert garden, not the more common one from montreaux etc). def my favourite cover.