• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Random Buying used cars

thegreenhand

Administrator
Staff member
Idk what to do. I've been in the market for a new vehicle for while now. Probably something 2010-15ish. Requirements are that it is big enough for me to camp in the back of, and of course i want it to be reliable.

How do you guys make the decision to pull the trigger on a car? I've been reading up on reliability ratings and what not but of course everyone has something different to say. If I buy a car and then it has tons of repairs i'm gonna be mad at myself, obviously. What can I do to minimize risk when buying a used car?

Last edited:
Generally, looking at the recall history is a good indicator of reliability. Cars that have had any engine or transmission flaws are a major red flag for me. These are your big ticket items, and even if you get a third-party warranty it's not likely they will provide full drivetrain coverage so getting this part right is key.

The service history of the car you're looking at can also provide some clues. Without records of regular maintenance, there could be more wear and tear on hidden parts than the mileage would otherwise indicate. If maintenance records provided are spotty, that's something you can use as leverage in negotiating the price down.

With your criteria I would be looking at Hondas. Odyssey is a stable platform with space for a bed and decent fuel efficiency. If you drive more and camp less, the Fit is also a decent choice and surprisingly it does have enough space to lie flat in (seat config wizardry).

Alternately, if you want to have plenty of space then I would just go straight for the GM cargo van with LS motor. There are plenty of them, they're available for cheap (which makes up for the poor fuel efficiency) and it's a time-tested platform. Lots running around at 300k+ mi. with just regular maintenance.

Right now i have my eye on a 2012 Subaru Forester that seems like a good deal. 124k miles, one owner, and very consistent maintenance records. The only recall issue seems to be that it burns through oil quicker than other cars might. Plus it’s a 5 speed manual which i’d be lying if that wasn’t enticing me somewhat

My other option is probably a Toyota RAV4, although those tend to be a bit more expensive upfront. But also generally seem to be more reliable.

I probably should’ve stated that good handling in snow would certainly be a bonus, hence the crossover/SUVs above

Subarus are pretty good but the boxer engine is not that great. It does sound cool though. They had a major engine recall recently, though I don't think the Forester was one of the models affected.

Honda (FWD) handles snow alright and generally is known for having the best manual transmissions.

The benefits of AWD for snow are kind of overblown. You're looking at worse fuel economy off the bat, and when it comes to stopping AWD provides no benefit over FWD or RWD. Either way it's going to come down to the quality of your tires.

Rav4 would be a good pick though, I think it has just enough towing capacity to handle a teardrop trailer and that would be more comfortable for camping.

Huh I figured awd would offwr a decent benefit but I guess not. A heavier car with more ground clearance probably still helps in rougher conditions, I would think.

and unfortunately I think Honda manual transmissions generally come only in their sedans, or much older SUVs. But that’s not a dealbreaker by any means

im torn on the Subaru. nothing seems wrong with it, but I’m also not a mechanic. Though I do trust the dealer that it’s from. My dad has brought his cars there for service for the last 15+ yrs

its all so nerve wracking lol

a friend of mine had a 2012 forester and it seemed like a pretty solid mix of quality and fun, but it did have rust in abnormal places. i'm not sure if that's a flaw in the production process or just a problem with his car in particular. Honda has the famous rusted rear quarter panel problem so they're not exactly immune to rust issues either.

compare the forester to others with the same mileage, if the price is at or below average and the car seems to be in good shape then it might be a good buy. definitely check on the recall history before making a decision though.

My current 03 Jetta has rust spots that is we on all other Jetta’s of that year range. I think that’s just what happens with certain models some times. But this one has a very clean body, luckily

The recall history has some airbag things and a couple brake line issues. Nothing about engine or transmission. Price seems comparable, if not slightly below average. I’m gonna test drive it again on Sat and probably make a decision then

good luck. if you do get it, look for a mechanic who specializes in boxer engines because it's a fickle engine. the major recall i mentioned doesn't cover the 2012 forester but according to some of the comments on this blog post it affects all 2.5L models to some degree.

Yeah that’s I worry about a bit. They say they cleared the issue up, but if 2010 was the last model with the known issue, who knows how well their fix works after only two iterations to test it

Im not sure what country the OP is in but here in Australia we have a motorists group (NRMA in NSW) that you can pay a small fee to and they will send a mechanic to go over the car with a fine tooth comb and provide you with a report.

In fact I would go as far as to say that if your in Australia and you buy a used car without having a complete mechanical report beforehand......... then you reap what you sow.

good luck. if you do get it, look for a mechanic who specializes in boxer engines because it's a fickle engine. the major recall i mentioned doesn't cover the 2012 forester but according to some of the comments on this blog post it affects all 2.5L models to some degree.
Ended up passing.

my mother was looking to trade in her 2010 rav4 soon anyways, so instead of that I may just buy it from her. 100k miles and we know all the maintenance, obviously

yeah that sounds like a top choice. rav4 is pretty cool, might have already gotten one but used toyotas are too $$$.

yeah that sounds like a top choice. rav4 is pretty cool, might have already gotten one but used toyotas are too $$$.
Yeah this is actually only gonna cost a bit more than what the Subaru was gonna be

she was gonna trade it in (she isn’t the type to deal with selling cars) so she’ll give it to me for the trade in price, not what she could sell it on her own for

nice discount lol

Well, used cars are almost always up for sale because they have issues, or the seller can't fix it/lost interest in it. Sometimes you will find some good deals.

If buying a 5 speed or manual transmission car, shift through the gears. If you can't downshift smoothly then you most likely have a synchro issue. If it grinds, or is hard to get in and out of gear you'll need transmission work. If you can, check the compression of the engine. (Kits are only like $30, and can help you make sure the engine is still strong and not down on power)

If you go to a used car dealership, expect to pay a lot more for the same cheap car on marketplace. Used dealers buy their cars from marketplaces, or auctions and those cars usually will have issues to.

I suggest reading about any car you inquire about, if the seller has receipts of maintenence or other work that is sometimes a plus.

Start to learn how to work on the car yourself. Body work for example, I self taught myself that, and save hundreds if not thousands when I buy a car that looks beat up.

Don't get a ford. (found on road dead) I had issues with the transmission stalling quickly and then surging forward. I almost got into multiple car accidents because of this. Get a Toyota imo.
So Asian > American in this case

Just got a 2012 Mitsubishi Outlander ES 4WD, used. 171,000km.

What I looked for: any weird sounds or issues while test driving, rust levels on the body; condition of the exhaust system, brakes, wheel rotors, wheel berrings, and electrical. When buying a used car, make sure the used car place already did an inspection on it from a reputable mechanic. The inspection should reveal all issues related to the vehicle. The used car place then has the option to repair them before resale, or let you know the issues so you can buy the vehicle at reduced price and repair them yourself (an "as is" sale).

Engines that last the longest in my opinion are Mitsubishi or Chevy.

You also want to ask around to see if used car parts are readily available for the model you're buying. I loved my last car but as it aged, the parts became obsolete which made repairs a bitch. The one I own now is a popular model even for its age, and mechanics can easily source parts for it.

Last edited: