• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Canadian Government to Unveil Marijuana Decriminalization Bill in June

ikarus

Bluelighter
Canadian Government to Unveil Marijuana Decriminalization Bill in June, Newspaper Says

Citing an "inside source," the Toronto Star reported on April 18 that the Liberal government of Prime Minister Jean Chretien will unveil its long-awaited marijuana decriminalization bill in June as part of a broader National Drug Strategy. According to the Star's source, Chretien backs the proposal to make possession of small amounts of marijuana a mere ticketable offense that will not create a criminal record. Chretien views the current state of marijuana laws in Canada, with sporadic and inconsistent enforcement, as a "basic injustice," the Star reported.

The government has made no decision on the cut-off weight for "personal use"; they think it should be somewhere between 10 and 20 grams, the Star reported. Thirty grams has been the dividing line between simple possession offenses and possible trafficking offenses, but the government appears to have heeded warnings that today's marijuana is more potent than earlier and seems prepared to accept a lower level.

According to the Star, Chretien and Justice Minister Martin Cauchon, who has repeatedly vowed to introduce decrim legislation, have faced opposition within the cabinet. Cauchon has faced "an uphill battle" to persuade cabinet ministers John Manley, responsible for border security, Health Minister Anne McLellan, and Solicitor-General Wayne Easter to support decrim. McLellan, who replaced Alan Rock at the health ministry, stopped Rock's medical marijuana distribution plan dead in its tracks, while Easter is in charge of the federal lawyers who continue appeal court decisions challenging Canada's current marijuana laws.

http://www.drcnet.org/wol/284.html#canadadecrimbill

definately a big step. i hope this helps the US to change its strict policies also.(unfortunately at this point that seems unlikely)

the president is bush, the vice president is dick, so a whole lot of fucking around is what we're gonna get...

Sweet... we get closer and closer

Finally the goverment has realized what everyone knows and supports!!

Right in time for summer too. The worst time cuz all the bike pigs are around, easy to get caught. But it don't matter no more!!!!!

I hope they don't make the ticket crazy expensive...

Many states in america already have decriminalized marijuana.. I'd like to see the Canadian Gov't outright legalize small amounts =D

Such a good time to be Canadian.

I'm finally proud of my country.