• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Cannabis link to male fertility

BlueAdonis said:
Last month, it emerged that cannabis users are seven times more likely to suffer from mental illness, triggering fears of an epidemic of schizophrenia.

epidemic of schizophrenia? 8o

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES, VILE MISCREANTS FROM THE GANJA FARMS ARE TAKING OVER THE CITY!!

8(

ok guys. we need to be careful. Lets get all the people shooting up weed in a line over here and shoot em down, they are making us look bad. lol how would anybody irl even be exposed to such an enviorment as those poor mice. Surely they injected more then the avg person could smoke in a lifetime.

When you stop smoking marijuana, the damage that's been done to your body heals itself in time, so if you want to have kids...quit smoking.

I can understand not wanting kids who are still developing to smoke, but information like this is usually twisted and interpreted in a drug-negative light (not that this article isn't already a shining example of that)

schizo

in response to the schizophrenia part, people with physcological disorders are more likely to abuse drugs whether the drug be marijuana, alcohol, or heroin is insignificant. none of these drugs cause schizophrenia. the drug use is a result of a pre-existing condition which the early signs of most likely when unnoticed. (schizophrenia)

SilverFeniks said:
Here's an idea .. STOP USING MICE FOR TESTS
Mice don't smoke pot, people do. I'm not some PETA activist, just wish people would stop wasting money testing shit on animals when it should be tested on people.
I once got a pack of gum that said it contained sacharyin (major sp.), which had been shown to cause cancer in lab rats. I DON'T GIVE A FUCK. That's not relavant at all. Goddamn scientists.

To which I respond, "goddamn ignorant people!" Though it would obviously be best to test shit on people, testing new substances with unknown effects on a large enough group of people for the results to statistically generalize to the whole population would be ethically bankrupt, not to mention that it would be difficult to find an adequate number of volunteers. Also, in animal studies, it is a hell of a lot easier to control for possible confounding factors that result from the diversity of human lifestyles. Animal results can be VERY relevant to humans, as a large chunk of our successful medical technology attests. HOW relevant they are depends on the specific system being studied, and how similar it is to the homologous or analogous system in humans. If people like you had their way, and we stopped testing on animals, the development of new drugs to combat disease, as well as the study of cancer, alzheimer's, heart disease, and other ailments, would suffer greatly. Obviously, some of the results may not generalize to humans, but enough of them do that it is worth it to keep on doing experiments on animals. Your objection to testing on animals obscures the more salient arguments about methodology, such as the fact that people do not administer cannabis by injection. In conclusion, I have to say that these findings are worrying, as I smoke pot almost every day, but I do not assume that they generalize to humans. Rather, it is possible, and maybe even probable, that they do. Only future research, and more advanced techniques of human examination, will tell.

Also, as another note, I have found that virtually all the critics of animal testing do not have a firm enough grasp of biology to appreciate its usefulness. Once you learn how much of the architecture is conserved at the cellular and molecular level, it is easy to recognize that animal testing is extremely valuable.

We might as well just test all new drugs on prisoners then (why not use people arrested for simple posession?). They'd be just as willing, perhaps even more so.
I'm not even going to try and argue this. Either you agree with me, or you don't give a fuck as long as it doesn't affect you.

SilverFeniks said:
We might as well just test all new drugs on prisoners then (why not use people arrested for simple posession?). They'd be just as willing, perhaps even more so.

That would be highly unethical. What if somebody died or was permanently damaged in some other way? Plus, they would never test recreational drugs on somebody who was arrested for their possession, as it would undermine the case for imprisoning them in the first place. Your unwillingness to argue this subject merely reveals your blind ignorance, for if you were willing to, you would have cogent, scientifically based rebuttals to my points.

I think there are plenty of people who would willingly participate in pot studies. People have been smoking weed for a long time, the chance that someone is going to get really fucked from it is relatively low. However, should someone start developing schizo symptoms, they should absolutely be allowed to withdraw from the study. Besides that,

lower spermcounts=a good thing

Dexter666 said:
So let me get this straight cannabiniods injected into mice found that there is an increase in testosterone in the body but production of it slowed down makes sense as other studies have revealed that after smoking cannabis there is an increase in testosterone levels followed by a decrease and then a leveling off so what does this mean to someone who is looking to keep there testosterone levels high for body building reasons as although production is down release of it is up but when it runs out there is a drop and then it levels off if no more cannabis is used correct so from what i understand this would have little effect on muscle growth unless the decrease in production of testosterone is long lasting can anyone verify this.

My god, is that whole text a single sentence? Get back to school bro!

Highly unethical .. no shit. That's my damn point.
No less ethical than using unwilling animals for this stuff, and many other far more criminal acts.
It is my opinion that science causes more harm than good; once we have cures for all these diseases/illnesses, overpopulation will become even MORE rampant.
Nuclear war is the only solution. In that, G.W. is doing his part :)

i've been smoking hooter a long time and i have definately noticed my sperm count dropping.
these days if i blow 5 good wads over the headboard i'm happy.
i wish i'd never started smoking... omg will i ever concieve?

This all seems a little strange to me. Four or five months ago I moved to northern california, and i've been smoking more than i ever have before out here - at least once a day, and once i do, i'm stoned until I go to bed that night.

I've also started lifting, something I never really stuck with before now. I've seen surprisingly good results. Getting stronger, visibly bigger, etc. This is all during HEAVY cannabis usage. If i'm able to build muscle while still smoking grams a day, i've got to wonder how serious this problem is....

I wonder if they perhaps have hit on something here, but are blowing it way out of proportion.....

Anybody else have any experiences with lifting and smoking?

^^ yeah.
i do work outs... but never while stonned.
i do it to get away from the hooter mostly.
but i dont find any problems with bulk building,
and i'm a big smoker.

Hey UsersDoDrugs i think you need to go back to school and find out who you are talking to and sorry i do that sometimes while on certain substances. I use cannabis very heavily and it has no noticable effects on my muscle growth but then again i increase my testosterone levels with certian hormones but i use very low doses only enough to keep my levels at atleast 300% which is not much but then again i don't want my bodys own production to drop too quickly.

Last edited:
perhaps after being injected the mice just couldnt be assed fucking each other and were just happy to chill and laff at the researchers?

where are all these flower-power kids from the 60's that have turned schizophrenic from spending a decade smoking mull? ... oh that's right .. they are now our political leaders 8)

Last edited:
THE WOOD said:
wow so if i smoke weed daily, and hook up wit some hot chick and bust a nut inside her, i wont have to worry about her finding me 9 months lader with a child support lawsuit?

PHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!

thats what i was thinking.. honey no condom tonight!! sweeeeeet lol

but seriously if this study is legit, it's good to know. no drug is 100% safe. all you mice shooting up cannabinoids, know you may have less testosterone produced in your testes.

what exactly happens if your testes make less testosterone anyways? they didnt really get to that part, besides it affects how your brain regulates it. I know plenty of stoners who have strong sex drives. some say that if it was stronger when not smoking, they're glad they do smoke.

OK, These guys chose mice for their experiments because they "have reproductive systems similar to humans".

Well, I checked mine out and a mouse's and have drawn a different conclusion from this experiment:

Scientist doing biased research on Marijuana have really small genitalia.

B