• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Cannabis link to male fertility

BA

Bluelight Crew
Men are today warned that smoking cannabis could affect their fertility. Scientists have uncovered new evidence that the drug upsets the male reproductive system.

They fear it could reduce the amount of testosterone - which plays a key role in sperm production - produced by the body.

It may have a serious impact on the body's natural hormones and they want more research to assess the risk.

The warning comes in a study by scientists at Aberdeen University, who examined the impact of cannabis on male mice.

The animals, whose reproductive systems are similar to those of humans, were injected with cannabinoids - cannabis derivatives - to see if they changed natural messages from the brain to the testes regulating testosterone production.

Because the testes also produce testosterone of their own accord, as well as reacting to brain signals, the research team also looked at whether cannabis affected this function.

The results suggest that the drug has a significant impact on both processes. Dr Paul Fowler - from the university's department of obstetrics and gynaecology - who led the research, said: "Our study suggests that cannabis interferes with the hormones needed for reproduction.

"It appears to affect the way the testes make and release testosterone, and has an impact on the way the brain regulates production of the hormone."

The team found that in mice, cannabis may actually boost the amount of testosterone produced as a result of brain signals, but it reduces the amount produced by the testes. Dr Fowler said: "These two things could add together to have a serious negative impact on testosterone production.î

The research, to be unveiled at a major fertility conference in Aberdeen today, reignites the debate about the potential dangers of so-called soft drugs.

Cannabis is the most widely used drug in the United Kingdom after alcohol and cigarettes. Home Office figures suggest that a third of all 15-year-olds have tried it. Experts estimate it is responsible for 30,000 deaths in the UK every year. Last month, it emerged that cannabis users are seven times more likely to suffer from mental illness, triggering fears of an epidemic of schizophrenia.

The United Nations drugs watchdog has warned that the Government's "softly, softly" approach is putting the health of a generation at risk.

Critics say the decision to downgrade it to a Class C drug has sent out the wrong message, encouraging people to think it is safe. Studies show that nine out of 10 children believe it is legal.

Scientists have speculated that falling sperm counts among European men are due to the surge in the use of recreational drugs. Previous studies on mice suggest that women who smoke marijuana during pregnancy risk damaging their baby's reproductive system.

http://www.femail.co.uk/pages/standard/article.html?in_article_id=188394&in_page_id=169
July 14, 2003

30,000 deaths a year due to marijuana?

ok, obviously they didn't overdose, and if they were driving under the influence then they knew it was wrong anyway, so how the fuck did these people die?

The wording's bad and sensationalized. Marijuana may have been a contributing factor in those deaths. The user is ultimately "responsible" for his or her choice to use drugs.

But as for the ultimate substance of the article, fertility, I don't think it is a big deal at all. I only want to have a few kids in my life and I should be able to do so no matter how damaged my sperm may be. It only takes one per child, and even if pot reduces fertility, it probably does more to decrease unwanted pregnancies than to frustrate couples who want to concieve. Even so, this is an important fact about the risks of using cannabis. It just upsets me that it is used as a reason to criminalize it since it's really pretty insignificant.

the 7 times more likely part(manipulated wording and usually a clear sign of bullshit in the air) and the 30,000 deaths part of this article(i think everyone here knows there has not been 1 reported death resulting from cannabis use directly) totally ruins the credibility, IMO.

I also take issue with the line "seven times more likely to suffer from mental illness." Causality? anywhere? Or is it that people of that kind of disposition, medical and in personality, are more prone to like ganja?

Let's not forget that alcohol and antidepressants, particularly strong anti-psychotics, have a bad way of interacting with each other. Ganja and antidepressants, on the other hand...=D

wow so if i smoke weed daily, and hook up wit some hot chick and bust a nut inside her, i wont have to worry about her finding me 9 months lader with a child support lawsuit?

PHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!

what was the dosage of cannabinoids injected into these poor critters?

The 30,000 figure came from this Guardian Article, they are basically saying that a proportion of lung disease, cancer etc. deaths can be attributed to cannabis.

the 7 times more likely part(manipulated wording and usually a clear sign of bullshit in the air) and the 30,000 deaths part of this article(i think everyone here knows there has not been 1 reported death resulting from cannabis use directly) totally ruins the credibility, IMO.

The National Office of Statistics will tell you that there where X people a year in which cannabis was implicated. There are always 1 or 2 who will die from choking on vomit etc. Check it out for yourself.

Jason

This isn't a bad thing; the world is overpopulated anyway.

Any roman catholics out there who arn't smokeing ganj should definately start!

I'm going to attribute that 30000 deaths a year are caused by sneezing because everyone in their lifetime sneezes. and sometimes maybe phlegm gets caught in their eye and people crash their cars.

MrM said:
This isn't a bad thing; the world is overpopulated anyway.

Any roman catholics out there who arn't smokeing ganj should definately start!

:D LMFAO! ;)

I remember reading about a study in the Mirror (the Newspaper :p), in the study they found that people who smoked ganja were 2x more likely to develop a mental illness and people who smokes fags, yes cig's 8o , were 4x more likely! :\

That study was done in the UK. The story was about 3 paragraphs long, sorry I don't have anymore info'.

All the anti-cannabis stuff is being rooted up at the moment, normally with some police officer or other involved.

I think the police prefer to arrest cannabis users/dealers than those involved with Class A's. They must be nicer or something.

My local police force has nothing better to do...

Jason.

Pot definitely disrupts my hormonal system.

Even to the point where I get a noticable change in my chest(mild bitch tits).

The symptoms go away when use is discontinued.

Pot really messes with my hormones, I have started and stopped using it many times, and that's the conclusion I came too.

Thus, I no longer use.

7x might be too high but if it is then the number is something like 6x. All hallucinogens are implicated with triggering the onset of previously unexpressed schizoprenia and other severe mental illnesses. This does not mean that the marijuana completely created the illness, all it means is that because of the pot the user had a breaking point after which the illness was expressed. You can technically have schizophrenia your whole life but without an event to trigger it, schizophrenic episodes will never occur.

So let me get this straight cannabiniods injected into mice found that there is an increase in testosterone in the body but production of it slowed down makes sense as other studies have revealed that after smoking cannabis there is an increase in testosterone levels followed by a decrease and then a leveling off so what does this mean to someone who is looking to keep there testosterone levels high for body building reasons as although production is down release of it is up but when it runs out there is a drop and then it levels off if no more cannabis is used correct so from what i understand this would have little effect on muscle growth unless the decrease in production of testosterone is long lasting can anyone verify this.

I'd like to hear more specific details as to how they "injected" the cannabiniods into the mice. Did they inject them into the testes? and how much did they inject? I mean sure if you inject a mass amount of cannabiniods into a human, in the same rate as they did the mice did i'm sure that human's horomones would be fucked up too.... This does'nt seem like a credible study.

Here's an idea .. STOP USING MICE FOR TESTS
Mice don't smoke pot, people do. I'm not some PETA activist, just wish people would stop wasting money testing shit on animals when it should be tested on people.
I once got a pack of gum that said it contained sacharyin (major sp.), which had been shown to cause cancer in lab rats. I DON'T GIVE A FUCK. That's not relavant at all. Goddamn scientists.
Also, 30K deaths, lmao. Darkmoonlight said it best.

Yeah how does it effect muscle growth for weight lifting? I do see a lot of skinny potheads, but i think thats cause they spend all their moeny on pot and not food