• S&T Moderators: VerbalTruist | Skorpio | alasdairm

Computing Can't use new gmail account with Mozilla thunderbird - anyone knows why?

lecroute

Bluelighter
This one goes to the more computer-savvy users:

I have an old gmail address I use for stuff like my bank, health insurance company, carriers etc.
It's kind of my "official" address and I use it also for correspondence regarding cases I help some people with, which involves sharing documents etc which I hate to do over WhatsApp or some other Apps shit, or even mails over the phone. In my opinion it's unprofessional, but whatever.

Now I get a LOT of mails from other banks, insurance companies, even a bulletin from a city I never lived in. Lot's of junk I can't get rid no matter how I often I say I wish not to get those mails.
So I did what I often do: create a new mail account to use for this kind of things.
But I can't get Thunderbird to get mails from it. I keep getting a message that authentification failed, though username and pass and all the other stuff is correct, and I get into gmail when to state that I want give Thunderbird permission to access my mails.

Now I have severa l mail accounts registered, not all are gmail, and it works fine with those already there. But I can't add new ones if they are gmails, or aol, or something like that - but I tried with a friend's that's a @web.de and that one worked.

Long story short:
Any suggestionson how I could manage all my mail in an easy way, without having to log in and out of accounts all the time?
I work with Linux (OL7), so Outlook is no solution.

IIRC Gmail is enforcing OAuth for clients now so you might have to switch your authentication method to that

IIRC Gmail is enforcing OAuth for clients now so you might have to switch your authentication method to that

Are they doing it for new phones/factory resets etc? How does OAuth work?

Protonmail allows some kind of method of accessing your gmail, don't know if it's going to require the same, though.

OAuth is a way to identify yourself with tokens instead of stored credentials. Usually you will have to go through authenticating with 2FA before you can request a token, and then your client application stores the token and uses that to sign you in.

The benefit to using tokens instead of stored credentials is that if someone steals your token, their access level is limited to just everyday things you need the token for. You can also revoke access rights for a token. It's not the key to the castle keep, in other words, just the key to the.. err.. privy