• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Chicago to install cameras in the ghetto

Full article

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
They sit atop light poles 20 feet above the ground, flashing blue lights.

Their rotating bulletproof lenses with all-weather night vision can survey an area up to four blocks away and can be directed by a remote-control joystick in a portable suitcase.

Welcome to the brave new world of policing in Chicago, where cameras are strategically positioned on street corners in high-crime neighborhoods to scare off gang-bangers and drug dealers and curb the nation's leading homicide rate.

"It's not Big Brother. . . . If you live in a community plagued with guns, gangs and drugs, they're screaming out for any help," Mayor Daley said. "It will enable us to keep an eye on several different street corners at the same time with minimal additional manpower."

Chicago has picked up on the lessons learned from the Iraq war, said Assistant Deputy Supt. Ron Huberman, who helped design the street-corner cameras for Chicago.

"Technology enabled our troops to succeed because it acted as a force-multiplier. It allowed our armed forces to have more eyes, more ears and to be more places than they otherwise could be were it not for that technology," Huberman said.

The cameras--to be installed within the next few weeks--will be paid for out of drug forfeiture money under a $2 million contract with the Sayers Group--owned by Gayle Sayers, the legendary Chicago Bears running back.

At a cost of $16,000 per camera and $7,000 for each suitcaselike "portable control unit," $2 million would be enough to install cameras at 87 locations. But the contract will cover other equipment.

Daley would not disclose how many cameras the city has bought or where they will be installed.

He would only say they would go where the violent crime is, based on up-to-the-minute information. If criminals move to avoid surveillance, the cameras will move with them, the mayor said.

It takes just one hour to install the 110-pound units and one hour to take them down, officials said.

"This moves, too. Come on. It's common sense," the mayor said.

The American Civil Liberties Union said it would not oppose the cameras as long as they are not manipulated to peer into cars and other private spaces.

City Hall plans to preserve only video that captures crimes.

Cameras have become an increasingly popular crime-fighting tool across the nation.

Nearly half of the 651 local police agencies surveyed by the International Association of Chiefs of Police last year said they use cameras for surveillance--either in fixed locations, vehicles or both.

Only 20 percent of the police agencies said cameras are useful for crime reduction. Most said they are most useful for "investigative assistance."

Although 65 percent of those questioned have used cameras for more than five years, almost none of them has a formal way to measure their effectiveness.

July 11, 2003

BY FRAN SPIELMAN AND FRANK MAIN Staff Reporters Advertisement

if your stupid enough to your drug deals on corners then you deserve to be caught

They did this a long while back in parts of L.A. Thing is, they announced it first by putting up big brother type signs on streetlamps. Crime actually reduced in certain areas and it turns out the cameras were never installed in the first place because the signs were doing the job just as well. LAPD explained it away by saying "uh, ya, we want to surprise the crooks so we're not gonna say when and where we're putting the cams up....but don't you worry because they'll be coming soon."

8)

dreamgirlie19 said:
if your stupid enough to your drug deals on corners then you deserve to be caught

I'm assuming you've never been to an open-air drug market before. In alot of areas people know you want drugs because you are white and driving in that area. Suburban white people will flood an area and people will post of the corners to slang you your dope, even running up to your car to peddle their wares. And most people who push dope on the corner DONT get caught, thats why their installing the cameras.

dreamgirlie19 said:

Thats how it is in chitown, and other places too. But I guess not anymore...damn now I have to get out of my car for the smack??

:( boo!!

I'm moving to amsterdam!

sb twelve said:
I'm assuming you've never been to an open-air drug market before. In alot of areas people know you want drugs because you are white and driving in that area. Suburban white people will flood an area and people will post of the corners to slang you your dope, even running up to your car to peddle their wares. And most people who push dope on the corner DONT get caught, thats why their installing the cameras.

you assume correctly.

wow, i personally wouldnt wanna be in a situation like the one you described. i cant fathom having to do that to get my drugs..

so thats probably why i look down on those that do. may sound bad but its honest.

thanks for the info though, i really didnt know it was like that lol

this might pose a problem for the open air market.. anyone else think the same? I am a little worried.. could these cameras zoom in and get facial snap shots or license plate #'s? this would suck big time.

anyone else feeling the heat in chicago.. PM me or IM me.

I tend to agree with dreamgirlie.

87 cameras over a city the size of Chicago isn't that big of a deal. I mean, Chicago is HUGE, so not every back alley and doorway is going to be watched. I suppose the buyers could always go indoors and do their business?

Those cameras would be for sale on e-bay within 48hrs. Therefore, e-bay promotes criminal activity. Bastards!

:p :p

its a joke...(not literally)

the police have to "seem" like they are trying to help all the neighbors that call and complain constantly of drug sales.

Its a lost cause.

The faucet is broken and the smack will flow forever

in the UK they have some serious camera activity -- if you walk round central london you are almost always in view of at least 2 cameras -- govt. ones or private. The roads in London now also have cameras pointed at them, at least, in central areas, as part of a new traffic-reducing scheme that can use numberplate recognition technology to work out if you have paid the new congestion charge they introduced. They try to use cameras to bust crack dealers but most of them just swallow the drugs as the cops come up to bust them, so even if they see you dealing, if you swallow quick, they can't bust you.

cameras

they've had these cameras in many cities for along time. (newark, nyc) they usually do not stop open air drug markets although one thing does change. instead of being able to drive up in your car most dealers will want you to park and walk up to the spot. (usually into an area that the camera cant go, like inside an apartment building)

yeah sorry to break it you guys, but these cameras have been around for a long time. I think they just decided to go public with it now to scare of some of the hustlers and whatnot. Just think of where else they might have cameras that they havent told us (OR YOU) about yet.........................
Muahahaha Trust Nothing

Mayor Daley??? Not THE Mayor Daley of the Democrats Convention fame, surely? He couldn't STILL be in power, could he???