• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

CONFORM - Throw Away Your Individuality Now!

TrancenDance said:
Second, I tend to believe that in many cases, those who consider themselves non-conformists or individualists just can't come to grips with the fact that they really aren't anything special. They're the same eating, breathing, shitting, pissing, fucking human being that all the rest of us are.
IMO, the only time you aren't 'special' is when you don't THINK you are.
Everyone is special.

"By embraving our sameness, we cn drop suerficial individuality and adopt it in one sense that actually matters: a highly developed sense of ethical duty."
ethical duty? to whom? so are you serious, or are you just fucking with me?
[This message has been edited by FunnyDust (edited 28 September 2001).]

Do you not believe in ethics at all?
By virtue of our existence alone, we can create ethical duties. They don't necessarily have to be "to" anyone. They could be to yourself, to humanity, to living creatures, etc.
My advice to you: drop the Ayn Rand. She's a philosopher for kindergarteners. If you like her, you'd probably enjoy A.J. Ayer and John Locke. At least they're legitimate thinkers.
On one final note, the true individualist, the ubermensch if you will, doesn't accept a system of morality handed down through a pop-fiction novel from a hollywood actress wannabe (Rand). The ubermensch sees that there are no absolutes, and creates his own system, which is not necessarily self-serving.
------------------
Trance and Dance: the enlightened path to Trancendence.
[This message has been edited by Trancendance (edited 28 September 2001).]

lmao
so i can "drop the ayn rand"? interesting you say that... seeing as that i wasn't thinking of her philosophy (or books) when i was opposed to what you said. there was nothing to read between the lines of what i said. i haven't read her work for a few years now. "drop" the attitude.
anyway, i didn't like what you said because it was almost like your were saying that people should get rid of the idea that they are individuals and unite for the SAME ethical duties. sure i believe in eithics... i'm a philosophy major... i know what you're talking about. but, i don't believe that anyone should think of theirselves as superficial, and give up any kind of identity. You said, "by virtue of our existence alone, we can create ethical duties. "... (sounds a little rand'ish)... its not that we "can", its that we do. however, i don't believe that i have any ethical duties to anyone else. the true individualist? i thought that you were opposed to this?... "the ubermensch sees hat there are no absolutes, and creates his own system, which is not necessarily self-serving."... if you are claiming this as fact, name your source. if not, and its your opinion, cool... "not necessarily self-serving", why have animosity towards those that choose this path?
and back to rand.... sure i believe some of what she said.. not all of it. your reply was a little bitter... problems with philosophy?? or rather, her philosophy?

just for this message, this is not J or "FunnyDust"... I just lost my account name cause I haven't been on speaking terms with you losers in a while... apparently that gets you kicked off...
THE POINT:
You have all been prey to sophists.
[said in infantile voice]
"I like individuality.
I don't like individuality?
Yep, I don't like individuality
Wait... uh
I don't like individuality"
Whoever presents an argument [not even a strong one] you will follow because you're so lost in your drug-induced pathetic reality
Instead of twisting words around like "individuality" and "community" [which both have specific connotations], lets just think on our own for once... no arguments... no implications... just be yourself... kinda hard?
[said in infantile voice]
"I am an individual
I am an individual?
yep, I am an individual
wait... uh
I am an individual"
repeat when necessary to infinite regress
sincerely and repsectfully and truly yours till the plane hits the building,
tOM fOOLERIE

Someone who is NOT FunnyDust but who posted using her name said:
Whoever presents an argument [not even a strong one] you will follow because you're so lost in your drug-induced pathetic reality
Um, generalize much?
Since you "haven't been on speaking terms with you losers in a while", I don't really think you have any way to make a determination about who is drug addled, who is not, and whose reality is or is not "pathetic".
If you want to argue a point, fine...but why don't you use rational arguments to back up your position rather than some generality designed to nullify an argument based on WHO says it, rather than on its lack of merit (especially when you know nothing about the author of the argument).
If Blue Lava's point is incorrect, why?
Perhaps anyone who disagrees with your point is a dishonest evader who holds inherently dishonest ideas....
[This message has been edited by FoX (edited 29 September 2001).]

No one lives in a vacuum. I try to balance my life between not caring what others make of me, but at the same time I realize I can not reach my personal goals if I alienate everyone. I just try to be aware of when I am completely conforming and when I am totally standing alone on any given issue. Either extreme is not the answer for me.

the idea isn't to be different, but to be yourself without being unduly influenced by social pressures.
community is a great thing. it does not the opposite of individuality, but under the best circumstances, it is an extension of it -- a place for everyone.