• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Addiction Damage from ingesting hand sanitizer

Can u afford a cheap bottle of gut rot wine maybe?
I think the cheapest bottle here used to be like 6 bucks canadian and was 20% alcohol.

Hey @cowardescent it's been a few days now, how are you doing? I've been in your exact position with alcohol withdrawals in the past and having no money so I understand. Can you borrow $20 from a friend to at least get a box of wine??

Please please PLEASE do not drink hand sanitiser though. It is incredibly toxic, especially now that your liver enzymes are elevated, your liver is struggling.

I would love to hear an update also. Fingers crossed your rehab is going well.

When our local distillery was making santitizer I wondered about this. I bet I would have tried it when I was drinking.

I just wanted to add a couple pieces of information.

Someone earlier in this thread said that toxic alcohols are added to ethyl alcohol to avoid taxation. This is normally true, but I don't know where you are located but in my region, the breweries were given a legal pass for producing pure ethyl alcohol for use in hand sanitizers when there was a shortage of sanitizer. So you had commercial food grade ethyl alcohol being funneled toward hand sanitizer production. This meant the purity was relatively high even if it didn't get the official "food grade" certification.

So I think it depends on who is producing what you're buying. If that 70% ethyl alcohol comes from a brewery or another local company that was given temporary licensing for sanitizer production, then you might be dealing with a high purity product. I reason this because a food grade company is not going to change their manufacturing apparatus because of a temporary license -- it would cost them money to do so. So they will just keep making food grade alcohol for sanitizer.

Your elevated liver enzymes could be due to alcohol dependence in general. Methyl alcohol, even in small amounts, usually results in blindness fairly quickly if there is regular consumption. Isopropyl alcohol requires large consumption to die from and its main drawback is that it's a more effective central nervous system depressant than the ethyl form. But in trace amounts, it's doubtful that it will harm you. If you ever get a fruity taste in your mouth after you're done drinking, that's probably the isopropyl form converting to acetone in the body... which is a positive test for isopropyl alcohol. But normally, you'd have to drink a decent quantity of just isopropyl to get that effect.

I'm not encouraging you to drink hand sanitizer but if you've been doing it for this long and haven't gone blind, had a nervous system reaction, or puked/shit your guts out, then you are either not consuming toxic forms of alcohol or the quantities are so small that they are negligible.

You should stop though. The formula you're drinking may be relatively safe but it could change at any time because it's not "food grade" and they don't have to warn you if they change it.

doesent that also contain isopropanol? Which is really toxic.
you sure?

my understanding is that it is about twice as toxic as ethanol, but the dosage needed to get drunk off isopropyl alcohol is about half that of ethyl alcohol... so it evens out.

now this doesn't account for whatever other crap they might put in it...

my understanding is that it is about twice as toxic as ethanol, but the dosage needed to get drunk off isopropyl alcohol is about half that of ethyl alcohol... so it evens out.
Once I bought isopropyl alcohol in the pharmacy for cleaning a printer head. Took me 15 mins of interview and ram hedruction stuff, they printed a big label which basically said "not ingest me, we aren't responsible". I openly told her that I tried 2-methyl-2-butanol which tastes minty but had no intention of ingesting the isopropyl. It didn't make the impression that this stuff was toxic at all, just that they don't want people to ingest it. I imagine that - if they sell it at all - methanol would come with big red skulls printed on the bottle. They are overly cautious in my country, even DXM is prescription only now.

I'd rather drop yeast into a bucket of cheap apple juice and added sugar and let that ferment in warm conditions for some time. You can get up to 15% of ethanol concentration and the product doesn't even taste that bad. You can buy turbo yeast that converts juice/sugar into ethanol very quickly, even up to 20% ethanol concentration. 1kg of sugar costs around 1 Euro here and should yield around 500-600 grams of pure ethanol, which is far more than a bottle of hard liquor contains. You cannot beat that price. Drinking that stuff is surely much better than drinking hand sanitizer.

For a 20L bucket:
10L of cheap apple juice
1kg of sugar
1 pack of turbo yeast (can be reused many times)

Let that sit at between 20 and 30°C until be bubbling stops, drink the result.

Seriously if you need alcohol that badly buy some apple juice and brewing yeast. Even sugar will work with yeast nutrients but I wouldn’t drink that straight up. You can build a simple still and produce your own moonshine for dirt cheap just got to be careful to remove the first part it’s methanol.