• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Discoverer of LSD Urges Medical Use of the Drug

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
VIENNA (Reuters Health) Apr 16 - The man who discovered the
hallucinogenic agent lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD) 60 years ago this week says its use should be allowed under controlled circumstances, to help psychiatric patients and to fight against drug abuse.

Dr. Albert Hofmann, now aged 97, made the discovery of the properties of LSD at the Sandoz pharmaceutical research laboratory in Basel, Switzerland, on April 19, 1943.

The road to the discovery started in 1929 when he shunned the synthetic chemistry so fashionable at the time to work on the chemistry of natural products.

By 1935 he had become interested in the alkaloids of ergot, a fungus that grows on rye. It had poisoned thousands in the Middle Ages by contaminating bread, although medieval midwives had also used it tentatively, and sometimes lethally, to induce childbirth.

Three years later, Hofmann developed the first artificial ergot
alkaloid, clearing the way for its safer use in obstetrics. Then, looking for other uses, produced a twenty-fifth derivative--labelled D-lysergic acid diethylamide, or LSD-25.

It aroused no special interest and testing was discontinued after he noted that experimental animals showed some signs of disturbance.

From his home in Rittimatte, in Burg, Switzerland, the retired
researcher told Reuters Health how, five years later, he fully appreciated what had happened to the animals when "on a peculiar presentiment", he synthesised a batch of the abandoned LSD-25 and experienced his first 'trip' after spilling some on his hand.

He said: "I noticed strange effects coming over me in the lab, I was not sure what caused them. I though maybe it was the chloroform. But then I began to realise that it must have been the LSD-25."

Three days later, on 19 April, he decided to do a test by ingesting
four hundred micrograms, "a massive dose of five times the recommended amount."

"The lab assistant took me home and called a doctor. It was a hellish trip at first. But as I was coming out it was wonderful."

Twenty-two years on, thousands had repeated the agony and the ecstasy and Sandoz was forced to withdraw the drug, pointing out that "in some parts of the world (it) has reached the scale of a serious threat to public health".

In his book "LSD--My Problem Child," Dr. Hofmann recalls how the
managing director of Sandoz told him: "I would rather you had not discovered LSD."

Worldwide, the drug was banned from researchers and chemical
adventurers alike, a move that Dr. Hofmann says caused him great sadness. "I have been very saddened by the terrible things that have happened with it since, but the fault is not the drug, it's not evil, it's just a substance."

"The problem was that in the beginning there was not enough care taken. It came on the drug scene very quickly, especially in America. The doses people were getting were not controlled, were not right."

"I believe the answer is to make it possible for doctors to get access to it for therapeutic use like they do heroine or morphine. There are so many potentials for it, people who respond to no other treatment other than LSD for example. But it is banned, even though many, many doctors want to use it."

He said the drug is quite safe if carefully controlled, but the ban
makes it more attractive and dangerous. "It is glamorous to chase something that's banned. I hope the ban is lifted, I am 97 now and this is my hopefor the future."

But Dr. Fabrizio Schifano, a senior lecturer at St. George's Hospital
Medical School, London, told Reuters Health: "Nothing useful came out of the research of that time."

The consultant psychiatrist and pharmacologist sees no need for a
relaxation of the ban. "In twenty years I have never had the idea of giving psychedelic drugs to any of my patients," he said. "They have enough problems. I would like to say it should be banned forever but I really don't want to offend a great researcher."

By Nigel Glass

Last edited by a moderator:
RIGHT ON DOC HOFFMAN!!!!!!!

I hope he gets to see many more years for 'discovering' such a wonderful oganic chemical!

=D

"Nothing useful came out of the research of that time."

Are you fucking kidding me? Research into psychoactive chemicals in the 40's and 50's almost revolutionized modern nuerology through the discovery of numerous nuerotransmitters (such as seratonin), among other advancements I'm sure. Tinkering around with psychoactive chemicals seemed to account for over half of the research done at the time!

Fucking awesome..I remember reading Dr. Hoffman's report of bicycling home and staring at his ceiling tripping(think it was his first time)..Very intelligent man, and inspiring too :)

"I have been very saddened by the terrible things that have happened with it since, but the fault is not the drug, it's not evil, it's just a substance."

obviously this guy is dellusional, LSD is clearly the Darth Vader of the drug world.

This is fair enough. You have to remember that success in research is judged on how well the research question is answered. Ask a dumb question, or one that's not's particularly interesting, like " does LSD raise blood pressure in rats", then nothing useful will come out of it.

On the other hand, non-research material can be judged by others. Certainly art and music and other non-scientific pursuits have benefited in the minds of certain people. As for me, I kinda love the stuff, and it's led me into the acquaintances of many fine people. Usually kind and generous and peace-loving.

Under the 'nothing useful banner' might come things like "life in prison without parole" for getting caught making it. Or maybe that's useful as it is intended to scare the shit out of people.

In fact it has been useful in drawing a clear line between assholes and good folks. It has clearly defined the enemy.

Pity it doesn't grow on trees =D =D =D

P

What a great man and a truely phenominal discovery!. I've read "My problem child" by Dr. Hoffman and was fascinating reading. Can you believe 97 years old?, still pushing it. Hope theres a few more years in him yet.

gun toting hip gansta said:
obviously this guy is dellusional, LSD is clearly the Darth Vader of the drug world.

That is, if you ARE darth vader. Its way yoda to me.

Thats one cool old man!

This SENIOR LECTURER obviously is a little out of touch.
This CONSULTANT PHARMACOLOGIST is forgetting that if it wasnt for the research of that time, many women would have much trouble giving birth (many ergot derivatives give a strong uteronergic effect) and MANY MANY people would have crippling migraines, as ergot derivatives are the main basis for many many migraine pharmaceuticals. He also forgets that if it werent for the research of the time that the science of pharmacology would have been put back, as it was in this time that many of the bodies neurotransmitters and drug pathways were discovered, and were it not for the discovery of these, then he would have alot of trouble treating his patients.

This guy is a fucking git and i wouldnt be surprised if he was paid to say such a thing. No self respecting doctor, pharmacist, psychiatrist or biochemist would deny that it was a great time for the advancement of medicine.

Albert Hoffman is my role model, i hope to be a research pharmacist at the end of my studies, and would love to work in the field of psychedelics... Hoffman rocks!

Andromeda:)

word to the doc.

i would've posted something more relevant, but its already been said by the above cluey folk.

so, again, word to the doc.

"Nothing useful came of it."

What the fuck! In addition to what everyone else said (discovery of neurotransmitters, e.g.) LSD was extensively used in the 50s and 60s to study schizophrenia. Everyone knows that LSD produces hallucinations. So, reasearchers thought they could find out why people have schnizoprhenia if they gave normal people LSD and noted the results. It didn't quite work out, because LSD mainly affects serotonin, and schizophrenia seems to occur in individuals with unusually high levels of dopamine (like a tweaker coming down after 4 or 5 days hearing voices). The proof they used was that schizophrenia mainly causes auditory hallucinations (naturally occuring visual hallucinations are rare), while LSD produced visual hallucinations. So, even though LSD wasn't quite successful in helping figure a cure for schizophrenia, it helped develop a lot of medications (Haldol, e.g.) to treat it by proving that schizophrenia was associated with dopamine. Also, newer generations of anti-psychotics effect not only dopamine, but also seronotin (among other neurotransmitters), so perhaps researches have benefited from studies with LSD.

In my personal opinion, I think ALL substances / chemicals should be approved for research. I mean, you can research with LSD, but you have to have a damn good reason, and it's closely monitored. I think a lot of information pertaining to mental disorders could be obtained if researchers were allowed to study illegal substances, how they affect the brain, and how that data might be used to make newer, better medicines.