• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

DNA Database Tracks Pot Trafficking

BA

Bluelight Crew
MERIDEN, Conn. -- State forensic scientists are compiling a DNA database to track the nation's marijuana distribution network. It is built upon two principles: Genetic material does not lie, and drug dealers always grow the most potent marijuana possible.

In three years scientists at the state Forensic Science Laboratory have mapped the genetic profile of about 600 marijuana samples taken from around New England. As the database expands, scientists foresee a new way for investigators to trace the drug from grower to smoker.

Using a single marijuana bud seized anywhere in the world, police would be able to quickly deduce whether a suspect is a homegrown dope dealer or part of an international cartel.

The success of the DNA database hinges upon a cultivation technique drug dealers use to keep only the best, most potent marijuana on the street.

Waiting for marijuana seeds to grow into plants takes too long for high-level dealers who move thousands of pounds at a time, police say. Instead dealers usually plant cuttings from their most potent plants.

That results in a shorter growing period and ensures top-quality drugs in every harvest. But it also means an entire marijuana crop is comprised of just a few plants, cloned over and over. Genetically those plants are identical.

An officer who makes a drug bust in Connecticut might normally have no idea, however, that the pot came from the same harvest as a load seized on a California highway.

While small-scale marijuana operations are local, top-level drug cartels are international. Breaking up a basement drug business is often as easy as getting one buyer to confess. Infiltrating a major drug cartel is not so simple.

"It's next to impossible, unless you have a good informant, to know the size of that kind of an organization," said Sgt. Lilia Gutierrez, a narcotics officer in El Paso, Texas, where authorities in February seized 12,000 pounds of marijuana coming across the Mexican border.

A few months before that bust, federal agents in San Diego, Calif., seized 10 tons of dope in what is believed to be the largest marijuana bust in history.

"Relatively few of the drugs that cross into San Diego remain in San Diego," said Michael Turner, special agent in charge of the city's Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement field office. Turner said marijuana that crosses the California border can turn up in cities like Detroit and Chicago.

The database being developed in Connecticut is not nearly complete enough to begin tracking that effect. But Heather Miller Coyle, a Connecticut forensic scientist, said the state plans to request a renewal of its $340,000 federal grant early next year. If the grant continues, she hopes federal agencies will begin sending their samples for analysis.

"We are seeing correlations," Coyle said. "Correlations between individuals and correlations between locations."

Research assistant Eric Carita is responsible for bringing the genetic signatures into a searchable database. On his computer screen each sample looks like a stock market chart, punctuated with distinct peaks and valleys.

A computer program converts that plot into a long, unique string of ones and zeros. If the computer matches that number to one already in the system, the samples are identical.

Officials hope the effort will pay off in the courtroom. A court case pending in Connecticut Superior Court will be the state's first attempt to get marijuana DNA admitted as evidence. Police have not laid out the details of that case, but scientists say DNA data suggests that two drug operations were actually part of one organization.

Coyle said she hopes that courtroom acceptance of human DNA evidence will make it easier to introduce plant DNA data. Scientists can even print out the DNA plots from Carita's computer and show a judge or jury that two samples are identical.

There are hurdles. While a genetic match can nearly guarantee that a suspect was at a crime scene, a plant DNA match does not by itself prove that two growing operations are related. When combined other evidence, however, officials hope DNA data can help eliminate reasonable doubt.

"If they keep cloning ( pot plants ), there's no way around this," Coyle said.

The DNA mapping technique cannot be used to track more dangerous designer drugs like cocaine and heroin. Though both are plant-based narcotics, drug synthesis isolates the mind-altering chemicals and the organic material is eliminated.

Forensic experts believe efforts like this represent the future of forensic science, which for years have been focused on the analysis of human evidence like blood, semen and hair.

"We don't know all of the frontiers yet," said Kenneth E. Melson, president of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences and the U.S. Attorney for Virginia. "As our experience and capabilities increase, forensic science can be used any number of areas we haven't even thought of yet."

Not everyone is convinced that marijuana dealing should be the cutting edge of forensic science.

"It's a huge, monumental waste of taxpayer dollars," said Allen St. Pierre, executive director that National Organization for the Repeal of Marijuana Laws Foundation.

Law enforcement officials, however, believe a genetic database could give police another advantage over creative drug dealers, who have concocted some ingenious growing and trafficking techniques.

"Certainly, if they're able to do enough fingerprinting to tell that this load came from same field as another load, we can begin to show patterns and trends," said Turner, the federal agent.

"If they could do it, it'd be one more tool in the arsenal."

Pubdate: Sun, 20 Jul 2003
Source: Associated Press (Wire)

Aside from the sheer stupidity of wasting people's money in doing this, apparently nobody told the reporter that cocaine and heroin are not really considered designer drugs and both contain carbons in their molecular structure, so the "organic material" is not really eliminated....Maybe their cocaine is pure HCL...

The 'R' in NORML is for 'Reform,' not repeal. Subtle inaccuracy there.
I had no idea you could get DNA from plants ... some of this sounds a bit sketchy though, as a juror I would be very skeptical if presented this as evidence that someone was involved in a huge scheme. Interesting nontheless.

to the tune of "A whole new world"

A BRAAAAAAAAVE NEW WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORLD

so... after they get the database, what exactly are they planning to do?
sure, you can tell that this bag and this bag and that bag all came from the same plant but... well, ok?
i'm confused and a half, and i dont like the idea that they are spending so much goddamn money on WEED
I mean, come on. the high doesnt even last that long and they gettin all forensic up in this joint. heh
hmpf.

^^ yeah but remember....DARE teaches you that if you smoke pot you will buy guns, rob stores, and kill people all because you went out and got high one time *sarcastic look*

Oh yeah, I had totally forgotten about all those stoned murders I commited...
</sarcasm>

dumb!!
People who get high are just so... docile and funny!!!! jeebus

Fingerprinting weed strains? Very intriguing.

The data that is accumulated may help growers grow better herb.

PLEASE let me know the citation of the case you mentioned.%)

useless said:
Oh yeah, I had totally forgotten about all those stoned murders I commited...
</sarcasm>

dumb!!
People who get high are just so... docile and funny!!!! jeebus

cause lord knows that us stoners are....well.....dangerous because we laugh too much

<Cop> Look, that young hooligan is laughing .. he must be high on that reefer and suffering from reefer madness .. better get the gun out just in case.

BlueAdonis said:
It is built upon two principles: Genetic material does not lie, and drug dealers always grow the most potent marijuana possible.

but drug dealers don't always grow the most potent pot possible, yes some do. But aot also grow the strain which will maximise their profits, whether that is short flowering time, or big yeild. The big commercial growers care not about strength, more about the money

Damnit, the place where they are researching/compiling this database is about 5 minutes from my apartment... These fuckers are wasting even MORE of my tax dollars on the retarded War on Pot.

rekkneyez said:
cause lord knows that us stoners are....well.....dangerous because we laugh too much
so dangerous that... we might split someones side!! 8( 8(

This is the dumbest thing i've heard for some time. I can see what they are trying to gain by getting the DNA from the plant in an attempt to pinpoint where it came from, but fuck me, it isn't PROOF!
i don't know how big the marijuana genome is, but are they going to spend millions (probably more) on a stupid venture that, in the long run proves fuck all. so a plant had the same genome as a plant in holland. do we go over armed to the teeth and arrest the dutch hippies? damn.

The media makes it sound like that when DNA is sampled and matches something at the 'scene' it's a fool proof way to conviction. 2 years ago i went to an introduction forensic's seminar in melbourne for people interested in it. And the thing that they did say is how just because your defacto wife's hair strand is on your chair where a headless body lies doesn't mean she did it.
well that's a half-baked example, but you get the idea.

"It's a huge, monumental waste of taxpayer dollars," said Allen St. Pierre

Give this man a medal. %)

I am dumbfounded by this 'attempt' to catch the bigger fish. Well..not really....it is the US. they most fucked up drug reform program in the world.....after asian countries with their death penalties 8(

I think that while there is a clear purpose with tracking marijuana DNA, in most cases it won't point authorities to "drug cartels" and international operations simply because most small-time pot dealers and users don't have a clue where the pot originates from. Sometimes they have the vague idea it comes from "up north", meaning NH/ME/VT or Canada, or really have no idea whatsoever.
While most people would probably LIKE to know if their shit really is homegrown, or came from Mexico through drug cartels, most won't because when it comes down to it they just want to smoke their pot and will buy it regardless of how it got to them.

I think the NORML guy said it best:
"It's a huge, monumental waste of taxpayer dollars,"
And to think that this research is going on in my home state, and I'm paying for it...:X

I think that while there is a clear purpose with tracking marijuana DNA, in most cases it won't point authorities to "drug cartels" and international operations simply because most small-time pot dealers and users don't have a clue where the pot originates from. Sometimes they have the vague idea it comes from "up north", meaning NH/ME/VT or Canada, or really have no idea whatsoever.

This is exactly WHY they're creating a DNA database. Because informants aren't enough to crack drug smuggling organizations. By having a database, they'll be able to track the routes along which the marijuana is smuggled and figure out where it's coming and going.

And as you said about people having a vague idea, the vague ideas are usually b.s. speculation. I'm sure a lot of people would be suprised to learn that their high grade B.C. bud is actually from Kentucky and West Virginia.

"The database being developed in Connecticut is not nearly complete enough to begin tracking that effect. But Heather Miller Coyle, a Connecticut forensic scientist, said the state plans to request a renewal of its $340,000 federal grant early next year. If the grant continues, she hopes federal agencies will begin sending their samples for analysis."

I could think of 340,000 ways to spend that money for a WORTHY cause.

J

woah, I just figured out a like toataly good way to break up big cartels. Legalize it...

I would also like to point out a potentially dangerous usage of this database. It WILL be used to add Conspiracy charges to 2 dealers in the same town, or even false conspiracy charges between dealers who happen to grow weed from the same seed supplier in different states. In case anybody didn't know, you can buy weed seeds online, now how are they going to account for that? I would imagine they aren't, and they're just going to claim that the 10 people growing weed in different states with the same seeds are part of a conspiracy (definition according to the law: 2 or more people commiting a crime together). A conspiracy charge adds between 4 and 10 felony levels to a drug charge. See http://www.ussc.gov/ for details (sorry I cant find the exact link cause that site is down).
Even worse is I can picture prosecutors using the RICO laws to prosecute people with this. This law was designed to take down the various mafias, its a law against organized crime. But somewhere written into the law it states that once a minimum number of people are involved in a conspiracy, it becomes organized crime. Although there may not be enough proof to actually convict people with being part of organized crime because they all bought their white widow from the same website, they will still prosecute, and someone facing 20 years for being accused of being the leader of an Organized Crime Cartel (think bart simpson), is going to need to waste $(Extremely large number) on a lawyer to defend himself from the 10 charges brought against him. And if the person is just a poor stoner growing for himself and not getting filthy rich from sales, guess how much help the public defender is going to be against the "drug cartel bust of the year".

Good luck stoners!