• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Ecstasy linked to loss of memory

BA

Bluelight Crew
Pulsing music. Flashing lights. Twisting bodies. Rave. For many people, these things equal a good time. For those using the club drug Ecstasy, it could mean losing their memory. An article written by Ohio State University Associate Professor Stephen Koesters, doctor of internal medicine and pediatrics, compiled results of current studies stating Ecstasy use could lead to memory loss.

"We know that Ecstasy kills nerve cells, and we're not sure what all that means; but we have a concern that 10 to 20 years from now there will be some major damage to memory," Koesters said.

Since human research is hard to conduct, most of the studies in Koesters' article are based on animal subjects.

"In every study, all the animals have had some damage from Ecstasy," Koesters said. "In one experiment, a primate was given four doses of Ecstasy in four days. Six years later, when the primate died, the autopsy showed that it still had damage to its nerve cells."

Methylenedioxymethamphetamine ( MDMA ) - Ecstasy's scientific name - is a mood-altering drug, which effects the serotonin levels in the body. Serotonin is a chemical produced by nerve cells that regulates mood and anxiety.

People with low serotonin levels are usually depressed and are treated with drugs such as Prozac, which gradually increases the production of serotonin to healthy levels. Ecstasy also increases serotonin levels in the brain to levels which result in harm to the body.

"It causes a flood effect in the brain by releasing the serotonin, but somewhere in the process it kills the cells too," Koesters said. "It may be that the drug pushes the nerve cell so hard that it exhausts itself and it just dies."

Information about how much damage Ecstasy causes is hard to obtain since there is no way to do research on the drug's use. Many of the reported hospital cases also showed that Ecstasy users were usually using other drugs as well.

"There is not any safe dose," Koesters said "A lot of people don't have side-effects and then keep doing it. A couple of doses or even one large dose could be enough to cause serious damage."

To date, there is not a cure for the damage Ecstasy causes.

"Brain cells either don't heal well or not at all," Koesters said. "Some grow back but may have abnormal connections and this damage could be permanent."

Koesters said if people were educated about the long-term effects Ecstasy has on the brain, they would not use it.

"Simply telling a student 'no,' doesn't hurt, but it doesn't always work. But if you truly make an effort to teach people, to let them know the effects - that it definitely damages brain cells - people will at least take note of it," Koesters said.

TracyCat, a senior in comparative studies and a user of Ecstasy disagrees.

TracyCat said she knows about the depletion in serotonin levels that Ecstasy use can cause. In conjunction with Ecstasy, TracyCat smokes weed with friends and knows about potential memory loss problems.

"You get old, you lose your brain anyway; you can't keep yourself healthy forever," she said.

TracyCat will often feel the effects the next day where she will feel lazy and want to sleep - it's a reaction she has come to expect.

Even after experiencing the after effects, TracyCat said she would love to do Ecstasy again.

TracyCat isn't the only casual user of Ecstasy, said Julie Joseph, a Columbus police detective. Ecstasy use in Ohio has increased in the last five years, but has been stabilizing.

"We haven't done any raids of raves," Joseph said. "Ecstasy use is very hard to police, but we've noticed that most of the use isn't at just raves, it's gone mainstream."

Stacey Frohnaphel Hasson, chief of communication and training at the State Drug Program, said the results of the 2002 PRIDE Survey were the first recorded numbers of Ecstasy use among high schoolers.

"In Ohio the results reported 3.1 percent of eighth graders, 6.4 percent of tenth graders and 8.9 percent of twelfth graders had tried Ecstasy," Frohnaphel Hasson said. "Ohio is right along with the national average."

"We have no studies that show what the usage is like among college students, but there is a good chance that if they've tried it by twelfth grade or by age 21, there will be more users," Frohnaphel Hasson said.

Ecstasy was created in the 1950's and became common in the 1970's when therapists used it on their patients to increase communication. In 1985 the Drug Enforcement Agency classified Ecstasy as a Schedule I drug.

"A Schedule I drug has a hallucinogenic property -- no medical use. It isn't prescribed by doctors, and it has the potential for abuse," Joseph said. "Punishment is dependent on the amount a person has in possession."

Possession of Ecstasy is punishable by up to 20 years in prison and a potential $1 million fine.

link
7-29-03
Author: Mandy Heth

He probably compiled all of Ricaurte's experiments...the one where the primate died certainly is...What he never mentioned was the DOSES used in said experiments...

These people are biased and nothing will change their hammer-heads...

Not to say that Ecstasy is safe, which it clearly isn't but this is another aricle written by clueless people...a quick search in Google and the author would discover that ecstasy was not created in the 1950's....

This is a systematic propagation of errors....cave people, Plato was right....

as always my bluelight brothers are correct
I have no clue why I said that
right- fucking gov't propaganda

"Many of the reported hospital cases also showed that Ecstasy users were usually using other drugs as well."

im so glad this was said.

:)

An article written by Ohio State University Associate Professor Stephen Koesters, doctor of internal medicine and pediatrics, compiled results of current studies stating Ecstasy use could lead to memory loss.

In other words, a single person, a medical doctor, is repeating what he heard in past (usually badly flawed) 'ecstasy' memory research. He has no original data and nothing new to contribute; it's a re-hash of the past, nothing more. Doctor Koesters has published one prior article on 'ecstasy' that followed the same basic trend: No actual new research, just a review of things previously published by others.

When this article appeared, I was annoyed enough that I hunted him down, and much to my surprise, not only was he not familiar with the numerous brain scan experiments that have found no persistent changes to user's brains, he didn't even understand that it was possible to visualize the serotonin system using radioligands (chemicals that show up on a PET scan and 'stick' to serotonin axons.) In my last exchange with him I told him to either become better informed about the subject or restrain himself from expressing an opinion; I haven't heard from him since.

"We know that Ecstasy kills nerve cells, and we're not sure what all that means; but we have a concern that 10 to 20 years from now there will be some major damage to memory," Koesters said.

I complained about that as well; his response was that it was OK to tell the press that MDMA kills brain cells even though it normally only damages their axons 'because it's all the same to the public.' I wasn't impressed; explaining the difference between cell death and cell damage isn't that big a challenge.

"In every study, all the animals have had some damage from Ecstasy,"

I also challenged him on this blatantly false claim, to which his response was 'well, but they've been able to produce neurotoxicity in all species tested so far'. That's a rather different claim than 'any dose in any experiment causes damage.'

Koesters said if people were educated about the long-term effects Ecstasy has on the brain, they would not use it.

Rating: Idiot. =D

Last edited:
hmm

"We haven't done any raids of raves," Joseph said. "Ecstasy use is very hard to police, but we've noticed that most of the use isn't at just raves, it's gone mainstream."

good and thats how it should be nickka!!! LOL your my boy blue!!!!!

*claps* at theDEA.org
well done on confronting this cockhead. his mentality is apalling. 'it's all the same to the public anyway' what the fuck is that!?
hopefully he will think (if possible) before he comments on a topic he knows nothing about.

is this article related to the ecstacy research that was being done at OSU?

I know the guy posted on here a few times...

anyone know?

^
No, I don't think so. I actually took part in that study. The guy giving me the test never mentioned anything about animal tests, he said it was strictly human experiments.

^

ahh word. a few of my friends did the study as well...I'm curious as to what came of the research.

Originally posted by NSU
...cave people, Plato was right....
So true, but reading this either confirms my suspicion or it makes me glad that this many people say its a load of bollocks. My memory has gone up the proverbial creek lately, and i attribute it to a number of things - starting at a new uni, then changing 6 months later, increase in work load maybe? or family trouble? are likely explantations and then there is the i used ecstasy a few times routine when i scare myself into thinking i fucked up... but its only got bad a few months ago, almost a year after i stopped using... I reckon someone needs to really really look into everything that has been said about ecstasy and then maybe come to some sort of 'conclusion' or idea as to what is happening... but thats in a perfect world and as we know, that isn't the case...

Hyper

Hyper, I am truly sorry for your memory loss and, again, Ecstasy use is NOT safe...

Kudos to DEA.org for exposing a pseudo-scientist...many of Koesters answers to DEA's questions show an incredible bias....Instead of blurting out platitudes and re-hashing the same study, perhaps he could be seriously researching MDMA, its effects on human being and ways to prevent/ minimize damages....

everything that I might say, has been said. interesting and informative comments everyone.

regardless of what you think of the research, just because there may not be any certified proof that ecstacy use leads to memory loss or other brain/nerve damage, it does not mean that damage is not done. theres no proof that it doesnt do damage either. you have a right to be sceptical, sure, but perhaps you wont know until 30 years from now.

its only been about 4 years since i first used ecstacy, and i cant remember shit! 8(

I"m the same as MikeySammy - been about 1 month since i last used ecstasy and i don't remember shit. But on the other hand i didn't remember shit before i used it at all. I think doctors have no idea wat causes memory loss in the first place.

We know that Ecstasy kills nerve cells, and we're not sure what all that means; but we have a concern that 10 to 20 years from now there will be some major damage to memory," Koesters said

That line definatly tends to suggest the docs have no idea

Nice Tits

I dunno about this memory loss shit. What I do know is I've been taking E since 1991 and I've never overdone it, I've always left a month or two between hit and I've only used pure stuff etc etc. I've also been smoking dope regularly for 16 years or more.

My memory is fine!

Now, where did I put my lighter...:D =D

dope as in what? weed? meth? I want positive articles about meth/mdma to be posted. I need encouragement.

-poste