• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Fatigue - what physical activity (exercise) did help you?

I enjoy walking with the dogs more than I do walking alone.
I enjoy being with dogs more than I do being with people.

I'm talking in generalities here. There are some people that I like very much and I enjoy being with them. But given the choice of spending a day with a random dog or spending a day with a random person, I'll pick the dog every time.

I'm relearning to socializa with humans. As long as they don't bring their drama to me, things are good. New place I moved to, almost everyone has dogs (like in multiple). They also have cats and one neighbor has a parrot.
I already take two of them at a time when I go for a short walk, next step will be the three of them together and from then on I guess I can start exploring my new neighborhood with them.

I plan on joining a gym. I used to work out at home or just go out for long walks, but it's been too long since I did any workout at all.
In a gym I will have someone I can ask for advice about how to restart, and it will also bring me close to people, which is a first step in socializing.
I live dogs, but not people, and work from home. Can't stay confined to my house and yard forever.

It's not considered typical exercise, but I recommend the Wim Hof method for just about everything: energy, anxiety, depression, withdrawal, it can make a noticeable difference on all those things.

If you don't know, it's basically a combo of breathing exercises, cold showers and ice baths (you don't HAVE to take ice baths if you don't want, but cold showers at least are mandatory) and there's some yoga mixed in. It will really boost your endorphins and does all kinds of great things for the brain and body.

I plan on joining a gym. I used to work out at home or just go out for long walks, but it's been too long since I did any workout at all.
In a gym I will have someone I can ask for advice about how to restart, and it will also bring me close to people, which is a first step in socializing.
I live dogs, but not people, and work from home. Can't stay confined to my house and yard forever.
I'm a little late to this discussion, but for me personally, hiking/backpacking is the passion I can't live without, whereas I hate gyms. Hiking by myself is wonderful IMHO, though nice with dogs, too. Luckily I live in an area where the weather outdoors is pretty good year around, but even if you live in a hotter area, you can compensate by getting out early. If you are looking to try to up your socializing, you can try a local hiking club, put an ad on Craigslist, look for groups through MeetUp, etc. I often default to hiking alone so I get how that can be hard to do.

@chippermonk
Nice weather here 10 months out of 12. And places to go, too.
Would love to hike, but it wouldn't be a good idea to do it alone, and my dogs aren't trained for anything. They wouldn't be of much help if I get stuck in my own mind (I'm autistic).
I also don't live in the US. But now that you mention MeetUp, there's an expat group from the US who also include not-US citizens (can't be too selective in the province) as long as they speak English good enough to follow their conversations. I know from someone that they do a lot of stuff together, not just sitting in a cafe drinking tea for hours on end (which I couldn't stand doing).

@Mycophile
I do that cold shower thing, but because it makes me feel good. Didn't know there was a specific method that included this. Will look into into, though I'm not a huge fan of breathing exey as most of the time they make me anxious.

@chippermonk
Nice weather here 10 months out of 12. And places to go, too.
Would love to hike, but it wouldn't be a good idea to do it alone, and my dogs aren't trained for anything. They wouldn't be of much help if I get stuck in my own mind (I'm autistic).
I also don't live in the US. But now that you mention MeetUp, there's an expat group from the US who also include not-US citizens (can't be too selective in the province) as long as they speak English good enough to follow their conversations. I know from someone that they do a lot of stuff together, not just sitting in a cafe drinking tea for hours on end (which I couldn't stand doing).

@Mycophile
I do that cold shower thing, but because it makes me feel good. Didn't know there was a specific method that included this. Will look into into, though I'm not a huge fan of breathing exey as most of the time they make me anxious.
Well, without the breathing exercises you only get approximately half the benefits of the Wim Hof method, and you aren't learning to properly warm your body to adapt to further cold exposure, but then again, you didn't know that.

The breathing exercises shouldn't make you anxious if you do the right kinds. Most of them are very calming. I can give you more info on it sometime if you'd like.