Harm Related To Substance Use - A Pilot Study

MattD

Greenlighter
Have you experienced harm related to substance use?

My name is Dr Matthew Dunn and I am a researcher from the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre (NDARC) in Sydney, Australia. I am looking to hear from people who have experienced harm related to their substance use. This might include relatively minor harm such as falling over and spraining your ankle while under the influence of drugs to something more serious, like an overdose.

The study is relatively easy. You can contact me via email ([email protected]) and tell me that you are interested in participating. I will send you a copy of the participant information statement and a consent form via email. If you’re still keen on participating, you can let me know, and I’ll then ask you to send me an email with an account of a time you experienced harm related to substance use. Ideally, this would include information such as:

• What harm you experienced
• Where it occurred (at home, at a music festival, on the way to a bar, etc)
• The context (was it a birthday, a celebration, just a normal night out)
• Who were you with
• What substance you think caused the harm, and whether you had used any other substances
• Whether you sought any treatment or help (e.g. did you go see a doctor, go to hospital, or just ride it out)
• If you didn’t seek any treatment or help, why not?

Our email exchange might occur once or twice, depending on whether I need to clarify something you’ve written.

Participation in this study is confidential and anonymous. Because this is going to occur over email, you might want to set up a new email account that doesn’t identify you.

This study is a pilot study – I am looking to gather information which would help me create a better questionnaire for a study in the future looking at this issue.

We have ethics approval from the University of New South Wales Human Research Ethics Committee to conduct this study.

Thank you in advance :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Matt, thanks for posting your study.

Are you interested in receiving accounts from people around the globe or just from Australia or Sydney?

Also, what sort of dissemination do you expect to do from the pilot study? Or will the results stay with you and simply inform the larger quantitative study you are planning?

Cheers :)

Hi Tronica :)

I'm happy for people all over the globe to get in touch.

At the moment, the primary aim is just to collect some data to help inform a larger (future) study but if I think the data is good enough then I'll attempt to present it & publish it. Any piece of dissemination that comes from the data will get posted here.

Thanks!

I've spoken with Matt: seems he didn't get much interest for this study and in its original form, it has been terminated. However, he is keen to continue more similar research in the future :)