• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery HELP with CRAVINGS and Relapse

I just went through one of my biggest fears. During my addiction it was really pain pills that were my problem. Having gone through Cancer and a lot of other stuff it was tough to get away from them. My fear was what would happen to my sobriety when I get injured or need surgery again. I have lead a ROUGH life and have had many surgeries, even prior to Cancer 15 years ago. So I know there are some coming, and this summer I got hurt.

Long story short, I had a plateau Fracture of my Tibia from Mountain Biking at the end of July. A tibial plateau fracture is a break of the upper part of the tibia (shinbone) that involves the knee joint. Symptoms include pain, swelling, and a decreased ability to move the knee. People are generally unable to walk.

I was very concerned about the Dr offering me more meds and how I was going to deal with it. I am proud to say I passed on any scripts and used some Ibuprofen for the swelling and some weed for any sever pain. I have to say the weed made a much better pain management option than I would have suspected. It dulled the pain, so you didn't do anything too stupid like walk on it. Where I find the pain pills would completely remove the pain which can cause problems.

This experienced really showed me there is a life after you are deep in your recovery. You can take control of your choices again if you stick with it and trust your self and never let your guard down.

Stay safe everyone.

I made a decision to change my life, i.e. I voluntarily forsook the bad lifestyle, and stuck to the decision. I do not abstain from my oral addictions ... I have abandoned the two (drink and cigarettes).