Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Hooked on a feeling; Ecstasy becomes drug of choice on county club scene

E-llusion

Bluelight Crew
Hooked on a feeling; Ecstasy becomes drug of choice on county club scene

Posted Wednesday, May 14, 2003 by Webmaster

By JAMIE GOLDENBAUM
Herald Staff Writer

NEWTON — Every day Becky Carlson of the Sussex County Coalition for Health & Safe Families reads the police blotter in the local newspaper.
She saves the blotter items pertaining to drug use among local youths.
And, the stack gets a little taller every day, she said.
A 12-year-old middle school girl is the youngest local teen to have a drug addiction known to Pat DeCoste, who is an addiction counselor for the county Center for Prevention and Counseling, .
The girl smokes marijuana, DeCoste said, and her parents did not think their daughter — especially at her young age — would consider doing drugs.
DeCoste attended the regular meeting of the Coalition for Health & Safe Families steering committee meeting this week to give an update of Ecstasy use in Sussex County.
However, her information touched upon other areas of drug use in Sussex County.
First, there are the gateway drugs — alcohol, tobacco and marijuana.
And, there are also hard drugs — like heroin and cocaine.
Now, a new trend has risen called the “club drug scene,” where users often take drugs known as Ecstasy, GHB or Special K. Ecstasy is a “designer” drug, a mix of methamphetamine and mescaline called MDMA. GHB, or gamma-hydroxybutyrate, is a central nervous system depressant. Special K is an animal anesthesia called ketamine.
The largest problem associated with Ecstasy use is one that many people are not aware of because they lack the medical knowledge.
Ecstasy creates a “high” for the user by sparking the brain to overdose on a natural chemical — serotonin.
Serotonin is released sporadically from various points of the brain to activate physical feelings of positive stimulation.
When a person ingests the drug Ecstasy, the brain releases serotonin from these points all at once. “It’s an overdose of a natural chemical that gives off a euphoric feeling,” DeCoste explained.
Because it takes the brain time to produce more serotonin to replace the flood of chemicals lost, Ecstasy users will also feel a two-to-three-day depression due to lack of serotonin and an abundance of dopamine in the brain, DeCoste said.
New issues still coming to fruition before doctors and drug counselors also involve these release points in the brain for serotonin. Ecstasy can permanently damage those serotonin release points, thus causing brain damage, DeCoste said.
By the time regular users are in the their late teens to early 20s, they are permanently depressed. Prescribing anti-depressant medication is pointless because the medication’s purpose is to stimulate the release of serotonin in the brain, DeCoste said.
“Heroin users tend to just like heroin,” DeCoste said, but Ecstasy users will experiment with other drugs.
Despite the continuously rising number of drug users amongst Sussex County’s youth, Carlson said alcohol is still the number one drug of choice for teens here.
A common attitude amongst local parents is to allow their teenage sons and daughters to drink alcohol with friends at home instead of worrying about where their kids are going and what they are doing.
“And it’s very popular in Sussex County” for parents to host an under-aged drinking parties while rationalizing it by creating reasons for keeping kids safe at home.
However, parents are sending mixed messages to their teenagers by allowing them to break the law in their presence, while other times telling their children to abide by the law.
“You’re encouraging kids to break the law,” DeCoste said. “Is that what you want?”
A parent’s job is not to be a “buddy” to their child, they are mentors, roll models, educators and disciplinarians.

http://www.njherald.com/news/newspro/viewnews.cgi?newsid1052919105,42391,

Ecstasy is a “designer” drug, a mix of methamphetamine and mescaline called MDMA.

Mescaline ???8o

Last edited:
^^^ hehe, that's a cute way to describe E.

Heroin users tend to just like heroin, DeCoste said, but Ecstasy users will experiment with other drugs.
I'm speechless. What a demented-ass thing to say.

Very interesting article, thanks for posting!

plus its a great name for an article about ecstacy Hooked On A Feeling :p

There wasn't a single part of this article that wasn't extraordinarily hilarious. MDMA=meth+mescaline: that's the first time I ever heard of that one.

"Ecstasy is a “designer” drug, a mix of methamphetamine and mescaline called MDMA. "
Well who needs the truth when sensationalism will suffice. I bet all the people making E around the world are now thinking "oh I've been doing it all wrong all this time"

hah this article just proves how the average American citizen is a mindless zombie who will believe anything.

First off a DESIGNER DRUG is a drug designed to mimic the effects of another drug, yet maintain a quasi-legal status because it is a different chemical (ie- china white, etc). This does NOT include the following drugs: MDMA, Ketamine, Methamphetamine, or any other drug you idiots like to call designer drugs.

Second of all, just because a 12 year old kid smoked schwag 3 times does not constitute an addiction to a non-addictive drug.

And third of all, Ecstasy does not cause your brain to overdose on seretonin. Do I need to whip out the fucking Webster's Dictionary?

Finally, just because you use MDMA *DOES NOT* mean you will automatically be depressed. 1 - Depression is entirely relative. After abusing the hell out of MDMA more than the average user will ever do, I can tell ya that it never caused me any more depression than I had to begin with. 2 - It has never been officaily proven that it causes any kind of brain damage (yet medical science tends to lean towards that it does). The "release points," or seretonin receptors as people with half a fucking education like to call them, have been proven to grow back with time and good health. Where in the hell do they get information that a user will be permanently depressed in their late 20s, and will be unable to use anti-depressants nonetheless??

This article should have made me laugh alot, but since ive had little sleep and an assload of caffiene, it made me wanna smash my fist through a wall for some reason.

Yeah, I've never understood the tern 'designer' drug.
I think of 'designer cologne' and how they are immitations of name brand cologne like Polo, Nautica, Hilfiger, etc.

Origin of the moniker 'designer' drugs.

OK youngsters, this is the story of 'designer' drugs. I know because I lived it. In the late 60's, MDA (methylene- deoxyphenyl-isopropylamine),(also known as methylene deoxy amphetamine).
made its appearance. It, like X, is from a family of chemicals known as phenylethylamines. It is much more psychoactive than today's X (MDE or often MDMA), with a half life about 11-17 hours. Naturally, the social retards who make our laws made that specific compound illegal. However, Alexander Shulgin, a chem Prof. at Berkeley, found a loophole. The ring sructure of the phenylethylamine molecule could be modified by adding a carbon atom here, a hydrogen atom there etc., etc. Those compounds, which include MDE, MDMA,TMA, TPA, MME, were not illegal, as they were not the banned drug! Shulgen synthesized over 200 different, newly 'designed' molecules, most of which are psychoactive to a greater or lesser degree. Realizing the unlimited number of designs, the cretins banned all existing and future phenylethylamines based on the original ring structure. They called them 'designer drugs'. You can read about all of them, and his experiences with them (he and a select group of friends took them all!!) in his book PHIKAL (phenylethylamines I have known and loved). He has passed on his legacy to the future as well by describing the synthesis of each compound.

Ecstasy is a “designer” drug, a mix of methamphetamine and mescaline called MDMA.

I just can't believe i read this. who\where the hell did that information come from. un-be-fucking-leavable!

also

“Heroin users tend to just like heroin,” DeCoste said

DeCoste - suck my cock cause you're the dumbest prick 'Dr' i've ever heard talk shit about drug use. oh geez. the media has just dropped another notch closer to hell (all the lying) 8( =D

i can just imagine some crazy mum reading the bit about mescaline and freaking out. did the stupid reporter even look up what MDMA stands for?......obviously not.

the media....never cease to surprise us with their fantastic stories!

BlueAdonis said:
Yeah, I've never understood the tern 'designer' drug.
I think of 'designer cologne' and how they are immitations of name brand cologne like Polo, Nautica, Hilfiger, etc.

Actually it really just means a drug where the chem structure has been designed synthetically...nearly all drugs that are used medically are designer drugs.

OK kiddies-this is lesson #2:

Of course most all drugs are 'designed' - it's called chemistry (you all went through 10th grade I hope).
The word needs to be understood in the context of the times. I'll give the perfect example-We all wore blue jeans in the 60's-70's, but there were basically only 2-3 brands. When Calvin Kline, Ralph Lauren etc started to market them, they were basically the same, but slightly different. The word 'designer' jeans was used to differentiate them (and the asking price) from the standard brands. The analogy was applied to slightly different (but basically the same) drugs.
This is the fact, Jack. Any other explaination is wrong. Sorry if I'm dogmatic, but I'm right!!!

It's probably the best explanation I've heard for the term, so I'm inclined to believe you, old timer ;)

Welcome to bluelight.

--- G.

Thank you for schooling me wise guide from the 60s. I took chemistry in 9th grade. Welcome to bluelight:p

MDMA sort of is a mix of mescaline and amphetamine, since mesc is the best known phenylthylamine and it does have an amphetamine molecule. It may seem dumb but try coming up with a simpler explanation of MDMA.

kitchkinet said:
MDMA sort of is a mix of mescaline and amphetamine, since mesc is the best known phenylthylamine and it does have an amphetamine molecule. It may seem dumb but try coming up with a simpler explanation of MDMA.

Ok here goes:

think of MDMA more as the refined, behaved, well appointed version of methamphetamine ---> the luxury production version of a formula 1 race car.

there is a little bit more in a molecule of MDMA versus a molecule of meth ( methylene-dioxy-methamphetamine vs. methamphetamine), you can think of the additional atoms, and the change in molecular structure that comes with them as the leather trimmed interior, the smooth ride, the wood grain trim, the world class styling that makes people turn their heads.

sure in a formula one race car you can go 220 mph all day long and then some, but in the refined luxury sport sedan you can go almost as fast while doing it in comfort, style and class.