• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

I'ld like to hear from anyone who uses an opioid to fight depression.

Excellent post and I'm sorry to hear about your struggle with opiates. But trust me mate, you have nothing to be jealous about. This is not a life, this is just a fight for survival. Endone is a immediate release oxy and I really don't have any "happy" effects. But it does the job and gets me out of bed in the morning. Not everything is perfect because a day has 24 hours. But morning depression is the worst so I have to be grateful because there's no cure for TRD and PTSD.

I asked my Psychiatrist about tolerance and he said it shouldn't be a problem at such a small dose. The only problem is that I feel like a criminal as my Dr. just reapplied for another year of Endone therapy. My life literally depends on Governments Health Department decision because they are only interested in pain management as Oxy is not officially approved for TRD. So I am still waiting and hoping because I don't have a plan B.
If you don‘t mind me asking what country you reside in?
Where I am from no doctor in the whole universe would give me Oxy and on paper I am diagnosed with the exact same stuff: treatment resistant depression and PTSD (and a couple of other stuff like past history with body dysmorphia, and now multiple substance abuse).
Oxy is only prescribed here after surgeries and stuff.
Funny little side story: I took them too back in 2022; funny enough I OD‘d in the hospital bc they mistakenly gave me too high dosage. Never had an opiate in my system back then and they slammed me with a way too high dosage. Left me with 60/30 blood pressure and unconscious having to be hooked with Narcan and then feel the worst physical insane pain bc I was only a few hours awake after being cut open crazily.

Would take this horrible day ANY DAY over what I have to go through today. The stuff I experience now is worse than any of this. For real.

If you don‘t mind me asking what country you reside in?
Where I am from no doctor in the whole universe would give me Oxy and on paper I am diagnosed with the exact same stuff: treatment resistant depression and PTSD (and a couple of other stuff like past history with body dysmorphia, and now multiple substance abuse).
Oxy is only prescribed here after surgeries and stuff.
Funny little side story: I took them too back in 2022; funny enough I OD‘d in the hospital bc they mistakenly gave me too high dosage. Never had an opiate in my system back then and they slammed me with a way too high dosage. Left me with 60/30 blood pressure and unconscious having to be hooked with Narcan and then feel the worst physical insane pain bc I was only a few hours awake after being cut open crazily.

Would take this horrible day ANY DAY over what I have to go through today. The stuff I experience now is worse than any of this. For real.
I'm from Australia and the rules here have drastically changed in the past couple of years. Its impossible to get Oxy as a new patient but I'm suffering from these symptoms for the last 20 years. I guess that's one of reasons why they approved it.

I was taking Endone in the past after each of my 5 surgeries and never abused it. That could be a reason number 2.

I am seeing my Psychiatrist, Neurologist and GP on a regular basis for the last 20 years. This should be a 3. reason.

But all of this is not important if my case is reviewed by the government bureaucrat who is just "following the rules".

If you think that you're ready l would strongly suggest that you have an honest conversation with your Psychiatrist and see what your options are? Besides esketamine, MDMA, and psilocybin which are extremely expensive, small dose of Oxy is your best chance. Good luck!

I'm from Australia and the rules here have drastically changed in the past couple of years. Its impossible to get Oxy as a new patient but I'm suffering from these symptoms for the last 20 years. I guess that's one of reasons why they approved it.

I was taking Endone in the past after each of my 5 surgeries and never abused it. That could be a reason number 2.

I am seeing my Psychiatrist, Neurologist and GP on a regular basis for the last 20 years. This should be a 3. reason.

But all of this is not important if my case is reviewed by the government bureaucrat who is just "following the rules".

If you think that you're ready l would strongly suggest that you have an honest conversation with your Psychiatrist and see what your options are? Besides esketamine, MDMA, and psilocybin which are extremely expensive, small dose of Oxy is your best chance. Good luck!
Ahh sounds good👍.

I won‘t get oxys and especially no instant release one, in my country it‘s impossible. But I don‘t mind that much, I wanna get clean but I am a severe addict. Feeling awful sober. I am currently substituted but I will hopefully very soon get Bupe as it‘s the best bet for people like me (better than Methadone for cravings). Currently substituted with another delayed release opiate (Tramadol). Then stay on Bupe until my life circumstances turn for the better.

All the best to you ❤️

Ahh sounds good👍.

I won‘t get oxys and especially no instant release one, in my country it‘s impossible. But I don‘t mind that much, I wanna get clean but I am a severe addict. Feeling awful sober. I am currently substituted but I will hopefully very soon get Bupe as it‘s the best bet for people like me (better than Methadone for cravings). Currently substituted with another delayed release opiate (Tramadol). Then stay on Bupe until my life circumstances turn for the better.

All the best to you ❤️
If you are talking about Suboxone it could be a life saver for you. But be careful mate and start with moderate dose. I was taking it for almost a year for chronic pain and TRD. Everything was perfect for 9 months and I was ready to stay on it for life. Then literally l collapsed overnight. Mentally and physically.

Why that happened nobody knows as I didn't change the dose (8mg) or start taking any new medication. It took me 3 months to tapper it down and almost a year to recover. But that's just me. Plenty of people owe their life to Suboxone, especially long time addicts. I hope you will be one of them.

One more thing. It will ruin your teeth so try to brush and rinse immediately after the film dissolve. Once again, good luck mate. Suboxone could be a life saver for you. It works miracles for TRD and chronic pain as well. ✌️

Last edited:
For the end let's summarise this topic. Conclusion: opioids DO work for TRD and chronic pain but only when taken responsibly and in a small doses.

1. Cheapest option: ($30 p/m) Oxycodone, not more than 10mg per day.
2. Medium price: ($50-100 p/m) Suboxone, average dose of 8mg p/d.
3. Most expensive: ($3-4000 p/m) Spravato nasal spray (esketamine).

I have chronic pain but also severe PTSD … and I’ll admit when I wake up from night terrors all shaking & covered in sweat, tensed up in pain ect … it definitely helps my PTSD to take an opioid

Here's the fruit of my experience for anyone who might care to listen . . . and might benefit. Amitriptyline is very constipating. Add an opioid to that, and the gut slows way down. The result is constipation and belly pain.

There is a solution. Take an osmotic laxative, as often as needed, to make sure you poop every day. Otherwise you can damage your colon and end up with diverticulitis. (Happened to me.) Stimulant laxatives - like senna - irritate the lining of your gut. They're not the best choice. Osmotic laxatives - like Miralax or milk of magnesia - are the absolute best choice. Taking a dose of either one every day will not harm you. Miralax is great stuff. (The store generic knockoff is cheaper and is exactly the same stuff.). You can even take several doses in one day, if badly blocked up. (This is the same stuff they give you to clean out before getting a colonoscopy.)

The only caveat is this: Don't take any laxative, if your problem could possibly be appendicitis. You'll just get sicker. An X-Ray at the ER can pinpoint the problem for you, if you're not sure.

One more caveat: Don't swallow anything, if you feel very nauseated. Otherwise you might throw up and accidentally inhale your own vomit. That can be life-threatening.

Normal poop is not hard or painful to pass. Anyone who is passing hard poop should be taking an osmotic laxative, as often as needed to maintain soft stools. Doing that faithfully can stave off some really bad problems and the misery that goes with them.
My understanding of FDA guidance is that opioid mono therapy requires instantiating of stims laxative—- osmotic does not stimulate peristalsis muscles which is what is needed. I’ve tried both, ended up hospitalized e w impactions from osmo. By contrast a simple glass of raw leaf senna tea a day has kept me out of the hospital for years. I personally have notice no stomach issues