L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Social Is Abuse Gendered?

This is not a gendered issue.

More than 40% of domestic violence victims are male, report reveals​

About two in five of all victims of domestic violence are men, contradicting the widespread impression that it is almost always women who are left battered and bruised, a new report claims.
Men assaulted by their partners are often ignored by police, see their attacker go free and have far fewer refuges to flee to than women, says a study by the men's rights campaign group Parity.

The charity's analysis of statistics on domestic violence shows the number of men attacked by wives or girlfriends is much higher than thought. Its report, Domestic Violence: The Male Perspective, states: "Domestic violence is often seen as a female victim/male perpetrator problem, but the evidence demonstrates that this is a false picture."
Data from Home Office statistical bulletins and the British Crime Survey show that men made up about 40% of domestic violence victims each year between 2004-05 and 2008-09, the last year for which figures are available. In 2006-07 men made up 43.4% of all those who had suffered partner abuse in the previous year, which rose to 45.5% in 2007-08 but fell to 37.7% in 2008-09.
Similar or slightly larger numbers of men were subjected to severe force in an incident with their partner, according to the same documents. The figure stood at 48.6% in 2006-07, 48.3% the next year and 37.5% in 2008-09, Home Office statistics show.

Why are you dragging race into a conversation about' Is Abuse Gendered' bird? Gendered isnt skin tones mate.Thats a whole new topic ....do white folk commit more violent acts than coloured folk mexicans chinese......violence and abuse isnt acceptable whether rich poor white coloured male female trans and whatever other categories exist.Or am I missing something here ....apologies if that may be the case

Last edited:
I'm not arguing with you about whether or not men commit more violence. My point is that maleness isn't the only factor.

I will provide statistics about race and violent crimes in America if you like?

I will provide statistics about race and violent crimes in America if you like?
You’re bordering on a very bad direction to go in with this.

If your point is that saying abuse is a male issue is like saying that crime is a black issue, then I get the point that you are making here completely.

Yep, neither statement is acceptable.

If you're going to say men are violent because of statistics, that applies to all sorts of factors.

AussieJoe said:
Why are you dragging race into a conversation about' Is Abuse Gendered' bird?

Okay, change it to disability. People with disabilities are often super abusive towards their support workers. So is violence a disabled thing?

Last edited:
I presume that the male statistics may be lower than reality for reasons stated above.
But that is an excellent resource regardless and I think that it proves that this is not a gendered issue.

thought about this as i was trying to go to sleep last night and here is my outlook on this so far:
sadly it seems natural to abuse those who are "weaker" than others. its all in nature everywhere. my biggest issue is that i would expect human to be a different/evolved species but evidently we are no different than any other animal it seems.
i do not like my "take" on this answer much but my observations are only what they are....
we as human do have equalizers, though; but are penalized if used to level the playing field.

I think a better point of this discussion is figuring out how to support all victims as a society. Male victims are often laughed at and not taken seriously, especially by the police and social workers. Very few shelters will take them. They are far, far less likely to disclose or admit the abuse (even to themselves) or seek help.
This is changing now too. Meaning men are fitting the criteria for abuse too. But it happens. It's sad because it usually happens to the nicest of men.

I was physically and emotionally abused by someone who wasn't that big/strong in comparison to me/other males - him being male and me female. Then there's a really big guy I know who is being controlled and emotionally abused etc by his partner (female) e.g. won't let his mum see his kids etc and he doesn't want to leave behind 4 (two are his own) kids and a dog so he's stuck -she has put her hands on him too like pushing him and shouting and he's such a big teddy bear he wouldn't dare hit her back or anything.

Abuse isn't gendered, anyone can experience abuse. Statistically men are more likely to commit abuse against women but statistically they are also victims of abuse.

However I think a salient point is that female on male domestic violence rarely results in the same murder rate as male on female domestic violence, which creates the impression that only women are victims and only men are perpetrators. Note that I said rarely rather than never.

In Australia the issue is particularly bad. I can't recall the last time a woman killed her male partner but one woman is murdered every couple of weeks here by their male partner.

But abuse also exists in non heterosexual relationships between men and men and woman and women, so it's not purely men committing the crime. However again, gay men are more likely to abuse their gay partner than lesbian women their partners, based on the advocacy I've seen.

In terms of sexual violence, women objectively but not exclusively face more of it. Basically every women has been sexually harassed (minimum) by the age of 18 in Australia. 1 in 3 female children and 1 in 6 male children are sexually abused. The perpetrators? Almost (but not always) exclusively adult men in positions of trust and power. However this still creates an issue in society where male victims of female sexual abuse (especially children) are not actually viewed as victims. If a male student is sexually assaulted after being groomed by a female teacher, generally the response from society is that he 'nailed the hot teacher.' if you reverse those roles you rightfully get a pedophile assaulting a minor. A kid at my high school (male) was groomed by a female teacher who my old maths teacher reported and she ended up going to jail and being deported but that poor kid had to do his final year of school with everyone knowing what happened and he didn't get the support he needed.

So, is experiencing abuse gendered? Yes, and no. Being female increases your chances of being abused. But it doesn't mean you are the only victim.

Is perpetrating abuse gendered? Yes, and no. Males perpetrate more physical and sexual abuse than females, but they are also held to a different (arguably correct) standard while female perpetrators are given leniency.

No black and white answer here.

Yep, neither statement is acceptable.

If you're going to say men are violent because of statistics, that applies to all sorts of factors.

Okay, change it to disability. People with disabilities are often super abusive towards their support workers. So is violence a disabled thing?

Are you a support worker? I happen to be one. I've had 25 clients at any one time when I was working more and of those 25 only 1 single client was ever abusive in the slightest, and that's because he's non-verbal and can't communicate why he's upset. Disabled people acting out physically is a result of inability to properly communicate and can be easily rectified through adaptive strategies.

In 2.5 years of working with my non verbal client he has hit me on 3 occasions. Twice he hit me lightly, not more than two times. Most recently a week ago he punched my arm around 15 times due to being highly agitated because 3 of his support team had quit in a week and new staff were being introduced, which for a 25 year old with severe autism - childhood disintegrative disorder, an intellectual disability, speech impediment and unbelievably severe OCD, is a major issue. However he did immediately apologise after he did it and stopped and we resumed our activities.

I also have support workers myself for my own needs and have never touched any one of them.

That was an incredibly broad generalisation to make.

Abuse isn't gendered, anyone can experience abuse. Statistically men are more likely to commit abuse against women but statistically they are also victims of abuse.

However I think a salient point is that female on male domestic violence rarely results in the same murder rate as male on female domestic violence, which creates the impression that only women are victims and only men are perpetrators. Note that I said rarely rather than never.

In Australia the issue is particularly bad. I can't recall the last time a woman killed her male partner but one woman is murdered every couple of weeks here by their male partner.

But abuse also exists in non heterosexual relationships between men and men and woman and women, so it's not purely men committing the crime. However again, gay men are more likely to abuse their gay partner than lesbian women their partners, based on the advocacy I've seen.

In terms of sexual violence, women objectively but not exclusively face more of it. Basically every women has been sexually harassed (minimum) by the age of 18 in Australia. 1 in 3 female children and 1 in 6 male children are sexually abused. The perpetrators? Almost (but not always) exclusively adult men in positions of trust and power. However this still creates an issue in society where male victims of female sexual abuse (especially children) are not actually viewed as victims. If a male student is sexually assaulted after being groomed by a female teacher, generally the response from society is that he 'nailed the hot teacher.' if you reverse those roles you rightfully get a pedophile assaulting a minor. A kid at my high school (male) was groomed by a female teacher who my old maths teacher reported and she ended up going to jail and being deported but that poor kid had to do his final year of school with everyone knowing what happened and he didn't get the support he needed.

So, is experiencing abuse gendered? Yes, and no. Being female increases your chances of being abused. But it doesn't mean you are the only victim.

Is perpetrating abuse gendered? Yes, and no. Males perpetrate more physical and sexual abuse than females, but they are also held to a different (arguably correct) standard while female perpetrators are given leniency.

No black and white answer here.
Very well said.

I have been support worker for 20 years. My wife is a support worker. My uncle was a support worker before he retired. I worked in behaviours for some time. There is an extraordinary amount of abuse that occurs in this industry.

It's not my fault I was abused. I am very good at my job. There is no strategy to prevent it with certain participants.

Eligiu said:
That was an incredibly broad generalisation to make.
Good. That was my intention.

The majority of disabled people are not violent and neither are the majority of men.

Having said that, support workers cop more abuse than most professionals. I literally don't know anyone who has worked in this industry for years that hasn't been abused.

Disabled people acting out physically is a result of inability to properly communicate and can be easily rectified through adaptive strategies.

No it results from lots of things not just communication problems and it's not easy. It can be incredibly difficult.