• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Need Help Is it the tolerance or fried dopamine receptors?

Krukje

Greenlighter
Hi, first of all, I know I’m very dumb and did this to myself. That’s the worst part and I regret it deeply.

I’ve been addicted to codeine for two years. I was taking around 600-800mgs daily (it is completely legal and not restricted in my country and I find this nuts), I noticed it doesn’t have any effect on me anymore a long time ago but I was still taking it to prevent the withdrawals and I pretty much got used to it.

I switched to oxycodone a month or two ago because it would be cheaper for me and I don’t have to take as many tabs. I initially wanted to lower the dosage by time to get off of opiates completely and I noticed, oxycodone being a lot stronger opiate, doesn’t cause euphoria for me at all, no matter the dosage. It gives me nods and nausea at high dose but no pleasure.

It made me think if I actually feel happiness from anything and I’m not sure. My question is - is it just the tolerance that I don’t feel any euphoria from opioids or did I completely fried my dopamine receptors? If tolerance would be the case, I shouldn’t feel any effects from opioids at all right? Meanwhile it gives me nodding, itchiness and I feel sleepy when I take a lot of oxy. If it’s the dopamine, is it possible to rebuild it? I am very miserable and even more when I realized that. Will I be this way forever? I want to feel genuinely happy and lay off opiates, especially when I realized how pointless it is. I also tried methamphetamine and it had almost no effect on me also, I thought I was screwed over but it relies heavily on dopamine so maybe that’s why it didn’t work on me. Weed affects me normally.

long term opioid use is well known to cause creeping anhedonia. AFAIK it's not dopamine that is the primary culprit here, but tolerance to opioids which also means tolerance to endogenous endorphins. gotta get time off opioids completely and it will get better.