• S&T Moderators: VerbalTruist | Skorpio | alasdairm

Astronomy James Webb Space Telescope

Snafu in the Void

Moderator: NMI Bukowski Jr.
Staff member

These pictures give me the same emotions I'd imagine religious people experience when they witness a miracle.

Both a deep sense of awe and a bewildering feeling of the unimaginable mystery of the universe.

Last edited by a moderator:
couldn't stay up past midnight to see the pic, woke up super early to see it
since then trying to wrap my mind around the distance of 13 billion light years

it is absolutely fucking insane

still got to factor in expansion, but it is a deep look into the past

just saw this!! i'm interested in your plan.

not checked the news from the telescope the past few days, been distracted, anyone found anything interesting?
did you see the others that got released a bit later on the 12th?

9284.jpg

southern ring nebula

12654.jpg

stephan's quintett

14575.jpg

NGC 3324

no other pics other the jupiter calibration one yet

did you see the others that got released a bit later on the 12th?
yes they are stunning!! i just wish i knew more about what they tell us. i know it will take the astrophysicists time to analyse all the data. for now i guess we can content ourselves with the sheer beauty and majesty of nature.

Great pics. I can't wait to see what else they snap with this thing. It took so long for the mission to launch and with so many potential failure points it almost looked like it would never launch. Great work from NASA (and ESA).

It's one of those little things that makes you realize that, actually, humanity can do some fucking amazing things and literally reach for the stars when we can get everyone to work together for higher goals.

Stunning cartwheel galaxy

i'd really love it if someone could maybe explain what we are seeing here.

firstly regarding the colour a) i assume this is false colour, but the telescope is optical so maybe not, anyone know what happened between the images being collected and being presented to us? there must be something if the infrared portion is incorporated in the images. b) i assume the blue and red are doppler shifts in opposite directions, so is the big cartwheel thing actually all one mass or two things on top of each other? c) how did this form.

any amateur astrophysicists or people that enjoy speculating (please keep within the realms of possibility, this is S&T after all...) i'd really love some input.

has there been any publications about any of the observations yet?

I think the red ones are red shift or infra red.

red is the weakest form of light and over the distances travelled we get a shift towards red.

this is how distance is measured though I am not an astrophysicist :)

It should not be hard if you know the intensities and colours to write a small app to calculate distance based on the colours of the red pics.

@Snafu in the Void in line with the S&T guidelines please put some explanatory text when you post videos.

i suggest his explanation of the colour is very simplistic. i can't believe they literally just split infrared into 3 bands and called them RGB in order of increasing energy. but i do not know.

i'd really love it if someone could maybe explain what we are seeing here.

firstly regarding the colour a) i assume this is false colour, but the telescope is optical so maybe not, anyone know what happened between the images being collected and being presented to us? there must be something if the infrared portion is incorporated in the images. b) i assume the blue and red are doppler shifts in opposite directions, so is the big cartwheel thing actually all one mass or two things on top of each other? c) how did this form.

any amateur astrophysicists or people that enjoy speculating (please keep within the realms of possibility, this is S&T after all...) i'd really love some input.

has there been any publications about any of the observations yet?
It is not false color per se, they are just adjusted to the visible spectrum, or we'd be looking at nothing.

The JWST uses reference data from it's different cams that work in different infrared spectrums
here an easy illustration
instrumentranges.jpg

what they do to make these pictures contain any data for us is move it from the infrared spectrum to the visible spectrum,
but keep the dimensions the same, making the data usuable.

The picture you're looking at is a composite image from two cams NIRcam(near infrared) and MIRIcam (mid infrared), first of all
Revealing_details_of_the_Cartwheel_Galaxy_pillars.jpg

what you're looking at is a galaxy which has been rammed right in its center, several hundred million years ago, by a smaller galaxy,
and in reaction has formed this outer ring, which has turned into a birthing chamber powerhouse for stars,
it's the remnant of the smaller galaxy which has been absolutely obliterated by the larger one, and created this violent outburst of star-birth
it's super nova upon super nova making more and more stars, as star death, if the star was big enough = star birth

before the collision it must have looked very similar to Andromeda or the Milky way.
In the center you can see the dust is much more evenly distributed, speaking for the fact that it's much older than the outer ring that has formed after the collision,
and of course for the fact that there are much older stars inside the inner ring, among newer ones, while the outer ring should almost entirely be baby stars and super novas.

The reason why it looks so stylish is the freakish amount of hot dust twirling inside, which ofc was also created by the collision,
and the subsequent collision of at least several billion stars.

Pretty cool, huh?

edit: there are dozens and dozens upon publications about JWST findings,
I listen to them all day at work(well.."vacation" from my first job for 16 hour work-days..), presented by my favourite astrophysics professor (sadly a German, sorry)

but in English there are even more publications, so it would be easy to find something

edit no 2: the whole thing isn't too rare, although they were once considered the rarest galaxies in the universe.
Ring galaxies like this one have been found often by Hubble, like this beauty, which actually has two
NGC1512inner_Hubble_960.jpg

Carrying the beautiful name NGC 1512

or Hoags object found in the 50s
1046px-Hoags_object.jpg

Galaxies collide or should I say collided all the time in the spacetime we can observe.
It's one of the not too many scenarios of how new stars can form.

Last edited: