• S&T Moderators: VerbalTruist | Skorpio | alasdairm

Computing Just a question regarding newer laptops

Hannah Capps

Let the Redeemed of the Lord Say So
So the laptop I have is a leveno edge, love it so much! why on earth does this new computer only have 2 usb outlets? I had to buy a usb extension for all the things I plug into the usb ports...if anyone knows, or speculates as to why? then please let me know...it seems backward not a leap forward for a brand new computer...anyone else experiencing this issue with new computers? Lack of usb ports? It's nuts...

one thing is they take up space, another thing is that it sucks having to unplug 3-4 things whenever you want to move with your laptop. using a dock is a much nicer experience

when they make laptops they make them as compact as possible so thats why but many argue so it you spend money on the adaptors etc.
Companies like Dell, Lenovo, HP, and Microsoft have all been making their products thinner and streamlined. We are getting fewer ports from them due to a desire to make everything light and wirelessly connected.
I use to have a MacBook before I switched to the same laptop you have for work and I hate it. BUT Macs are so much worse cause they have NO ports and you have to buy the adaptors for like 60$ each lol such a joke. The older ones are gold cause they have all the ports etc.
Its the same thing as when they slow down you cell phone so you have to buy a new one.

right. the desire to make laptops thinner, lighter and cheaper means fewer on-board usb ports.

given you can plug in a cheap 3 or 4-port hub or connect most peripherals wirelessly these days tends to mitigate the issue for most users.

if more than 2 usb ports was a desirable feature or even a requirement, why buy a machine with only 2?

alasdair

Most younger consumers don't even use USB ports anymore and companies cater to the up and coming.
My Lenovos have several USB ports both versions 2 and 3. They also have docking stations that add another 4 USB ports. Yes sometimes I use them all when transferring data from drive to drive and working on other devices using ADB or push commands.
Been a while but sometimes they are needed.

They've been doing that for years, removing features and calling it innovation.
Like cell phones without 3,5mm headphones connector. My phone (Honor Note 10) is overall a great piece but I can only connect headphones with an adapter, and now the USB-C connector is faulty so the only possibility is to use bluetooth and of course always when I need them, my bluetooth headphones are out of battery. Sigh.

My laptop has three USB3 and one USB-C plugs and I still need a hub because I'm using external keyboard and mouse.

this reminds me that it seems like they are starting to stop making mp3 players... wtf. it was bad enough they got rid of cds... like it seems like some day they are going to make it impossible for records to exist. there will be nothing to collect... changing technology is not cool to me. i'm wondering if i'm even going to be able to listen to music in the future.

health of computer, I myself have a jack extension.

unplugging/plugging attracts fake electricity and laptops work on battery unlike computer PSU's.

having a dock extension provides the warranty oath sort of.