• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

More teens trying this "club drug" unaware of dangers

CrystalMethBunny: lol! Maybe there's some little program you can get that works like the Insult Generator - you choose your substance, input a wacky quote and a couple of nasty adjectives and it makes the whole article up for you. A comitted journalist could churn out 30 or 40 articles an hour for the propaganda machine.

Sorry, I hope that's not too off-topic.

*CrystalMeth Bunny* said:
I think I've been reading this same article since 2000.

Example:

(Title with "ecstasy" "club drug" "danger" "rave" "teens" or "evil")

by (journalist who needs to fill a deadline)

(one paragraph description of a rave)

(wacky quote from ecstasy user)

(stuff about how ecstasy will fuck you up)

(more stuff about how ecstasy will fuck you up)

(mention of some unlikely cut found in pills)

(quote from law enforcement or doctor)

(some statistics which seem frightening)

(another quote by some ecstasy user)

(smartass comment on that quote by ecstasy user).

It's this century's version of mad libs.

LOL :) :) :) !! You always make me laugh, MCB :) .

This is the kind of media people read and they believe because they dont know any better! I suppose you *could* email the author to formally express your disbelief.

Not every news story is Pro-E, or scientific. Im just doin my part to show you guys what a load of crap journalists will publish. Dont kill the messenger! You should see the article I found about the "base ingredient" in ecstasy being mescaline. 8)

Hmm, maybe when they said 'highly addictive' they meant that some may not have the will power to stop using it. Or maybe not. I don't think they have to bash the raves anymore because almost everyone has one of two opinions of them now: they are EVIL, EVIL and all who attend are junkies. Or people (smart, educated people) will say: yeah they're fun, I mean you can do drugs if you want and they are there but it's so much more than that. I have never been to a rave but i really want to go but if I told my mom about it she'd flip a shit because she is in the drugs and raves are evil category. The battle lines are drawn.

John, who said he only used the drug once, said peer pressure and escaping from problems are reasons that teens use Ecstasy.

Yes, because someone who has done it once (and had a bad experience at that) knows all about ecstasy and thus is an authority on the subject. He knows why people do it: thank God, he's solved the mystery!

"Every time they do it, it makes them feel better," he said.

People wouldn't take it if it didn't. But don't stereotype all users into the "we do it because we have problems and want to escape" category. That's just where this kid seemingly belongs.

Stevens said schools should bring in speakers such as emergency-room nurses who have firsthand knowledge about drug overdoses. Parent-teacher associations, she said, should also get involved in educating students about the dangers of Ecstasy.

But you'll never hear anything besides the dangers of Ecstasy. You'll never hear from competent users. Basically, you'll never hear more than one side of this story. And that's exactly the way they want it.

We will never become a better country by promoting ignorance!

Last edited:
BlueAdonis said:
This is the kind of media people read and they believe because they dont know any better! I suppose you *could* email the author to formally express your disbelief.

If someone showed me this article in an attempt to persuade me not to do mdma, I would cry. Because said person would have absolutely no respect for my intelligence whatsoever.

Besides being filled with highly questionable information ("highly addictive?" feeling depressed 4 hrs after your first pill?) Even anyone who had zero information about mdma should realize that this article is crap. So 3.9 million people have tried it and only 51 people a year go to the hospital? (Not even die or anything, just go to the hospital?)

Damn but this is a dangerous drug! I better stop doing it. Good thing I'm not doing anything more dangerous on a daily basis, like driving or anything.

Well after reading this fine article... I will not be taking any more E's. Instead I will start drinking alcohol, since it’s legal and therefore safe…. I mean you never hear of alcohol related emergency room visits!

Dave reached a defining moment in his young life inside a movie theatre filled with flashing lights and moviegoers he didn't know. Earlier that evening, the South-County teen had swallowed a near deadly amount of popcorn when he attended a Texan movie, or ‘a moving picture show’. It wasn't long before the popcorn raised the levels of sugar in his blood, making him feel energetic. The food-induced bloating and caused his stomach to swell up.

He eventually reached a self-described state of bloated ness

"I felt like I was going to pop," the 16-year-old said. "I was at peace. I felt that I would never need another meal again."

Reaching this state of mind came at a price, however. After four hours of nibbling, Dave began a downward spiral.

"All of a sudden your belt becomes too tight," said Dave, a Student at a some alternative high school. "After two hours, I felt suicidal. Like I would never be able to enjoy the buttery taste of movie popcorn ever again."

Popcorn has been a growing problem among teens and young adults since mass quantities of it were smuggled into the United States from Iraq in the early 1990s, authorities said. Over the last several years, the number of young users has increased dramatically.

In 2001, 38.9 million people between the ages of 18 and 25 admitted they have tried Popcorn at least once in their lifetime, according to a national survey conducted by the Substance Abuse and Warner Brothers. In 2000, 28.8 million in the same age group said they tried Popcorn at least once, statistics show.

About 742132356,000 people in the 12-to-17 age group in 2001 said they tried the ever so tasty snack at least once in their lifetime according to the association, which is a part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Surplus. In 2000, 615,000 people in the same age group admitted trying popcorn at least once.

Statistics on popcorn use or arrests involving popcorn in some random county are not kept by health and law enforcement agencies, but despite the lack of data, we just made up a load of statistics and hoped everyone would believe us.

"It is a bigger problem than it was a few years ago," said some random police Lt. Carl Black, who is a member of the Ninjas against animal abuse. "It is more popular among high school students than everything else, other than M&Ms."

Because popcorn is the newest drug to hit the region, more teens are interested in experimenting with it, ‘I once put salt on instead of sugar’ said Millie, a 14 year old who recently completed a 14 mile egg and spoon race in under 3 seconds.

The drug is largely sold at movie theaters, which are venues marketed to teens as ‘places to view movies’

"I think anyone who wants to find popcorn can," said Ronald McDonald, director of Preservation of Naked Jewish pigeons "It has been more mainstream over the last fifty years. I don't think it is going away."

Instead of going away, the snack has sent a growing number of people to the emergency room. Between 1998 and 2001, the number of popcorn-related emergency room visits in America increased from 1 to 2, said John Redman, co-chairman of the ‘People against the colour of red cars’

"I am very alarmed by the numbers," said Redman. "The kids that are taking it are unaware of the dangers."

Besides side effects from the food itself, another danger is that the popcorn may not actually be popcorn, say law officials. As demand increases, so have the number of "fakes" for popcorn that may instead contain part or all boiled hamster feet, cow shit, rubber, monkey sperm, Crude oil, and cheese.

Popular Flavors

Popcorns organic name is popcornolickystickybuttersweettastingfluffyniceness, or POOP. A majority of the popcorn flavors, which come in different colors, are produced in IRAQ/IRAN, but some are made in clandestine Confectionary counters across America

Since popcorn is much harder to manufacture than M&MS, makeshift factories are not as common, authorities said. Each morsel of popcorn costs as little as $0.00.01 to produce but sells in the cinemas for $3 $10.

Bah, I can’t be arsed any more

Any way... popcorn is EVIL. Don’t do it.

Highly addictive

They're absolutely right!!=D =D

Sure is - i do it once a month, every month, washed down with lashings of psychedelic trance and tons (well mics) of acid. I can't give it up, I'll probably be dead by the time I'm 123

Psyborg

As demand increases, so have the number of "fakes" for Ecstasy that may instead contain part or all amphetamine, caffeine, codeine, dxm, ephedra/ephedrine, ketamine, MDA, methamphetamine and PCP.

What is this crap? everyone know rolls are cut with heroin, cocaine, and rat poison; I read it in an article...

gee.

you have to realize that the 'uninformed public' that you all talk about are mostly people of *our* parents' generation. how COULD they be "informed" (read: ingest extacy regardless of the inheirent dangers)? They didn't grow up with the flagrance of drug use we have. They're scared, because their offspring take the easy way out to get their jollies off, and it seems they have no ambition or drive. how could we? it's all been done before... but don't blame them for believing this type of propaganda. blame the media. if you had loved ones you truly cared about, this sort of stuff would scare you shitless too. just chill. we ain't never gonna break the gen gap, or have drugs legalized. so... do what you can, to enjoy yourself, and don't complain. BECAUSE THE LAWS AINT NEVER GONNA CHANGE.

"A lot of these kids who go to these things don't consider themselves drug users," Lopez said. "They see themselves as recreational drug users."

I am kinda high right now so I am not sure in myself, but doesn't this not make any fucking sense at all? Unless you consider psychedelic use for self growth or medicine is there any other kind of a drug user? And I am sure as hell the article does not compare them to the above.

BlueAdonis said:

"The next week, I was at another rave, and a friend passed out because he was dehydrated after using Ecstasy. He was rushed to the hospital for treatment," John said. "I was scared. I realized then it was a lot more life-threatening than I thought."

Once again, mistaking the effects of foolish behavior(not drinking enough water) for being effects of the drug. Will they ever learn?