• 🇺🇸󠁿 🇧🇷 🇨🇦 🇦🇷 🇲🇽 🇹🇹 🇨🇺
    The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

Music festival thread! When and where?

@jasperkent When I was homeless I busked for food and drug money. I only played originals or made songs up on the spot. Didn't play fucking American Pie or John Denver or anything like that so I wasn't very popular. lol

@jasperkent When I was homeless I busked for food and drug money. I only played originals or made songs up on the spot. Didn't play fucking American Pie or John Denver or anything like that so I wasn't very popular. lol
I respect that.
I'm sure that I'd have thrown you a few bucks when I could....or at the very least given you a cigarette or two.

I respect that.
I'm sure that I'd have thrown you a few bucks when I could....or at the very least given you a cigarette or two.
I honestly got mostly food. People would walk out of a restaurant and give me a box with their leftovers. My friend, who played all covers, got mostly cash. So we would combine our resources and share the food and buy dope with the money and split that. Win/win

Of course cigs were always welcome.

I honestly got mostly food. People would walk out of a restaurant and give me a box with their leftovers. My friend, who played all covers, got mostly cash. So we would combine our resources and share the food and buy dope with the money and split that. Win/win

I grow my own weed and always have plenty to give away. One of my favorite things to do is hand an ounce or two to an unsuspecting needy person. The mixture of bafflement and delight expressed is wonderful.

So were you always hoping for money over food? Did you ever turn down food that someone tried to give you? I want to help homeless people that I see standing at the street lights with signs. I figure a lot of those people want money for drugs or booze and I don’t want to contribute to that. Instead, I keep bottles of water and granola bars in my car to offer when I see them. I’m baffled by how many people turn me down!

So were you always hoping for money over food? Did you ever turn down food that someone tried to give you? I want to help homeless people that I see standing at the street lights with signs. I figure a lot of those people want money for drugs or booze and I don’t want to contribute to that. Instead, I keep bottles of water and granola bars in my car to offer when I see them. I’m baffled by how many people turn me down!
Good question but for me the answer is a little complex. Like I said above, my friend also had a guitar and we would split the food and money (and the drugs we bought with the money). I always appreciated the food mainly because it meant we didn't have to fly signs or beg for anything to get nourishment. Cops tend to shake down panhandlers and they also annoy people, so begging or flying signs was like a step down from busking, which entertains people.

The only time I ever turned down food was when we took a bus to a tourist town and actually got too many boxes of food to where it was more than we could eat or even give away to other folks that lived outside. We had a stack of styrofoam boxes a few feet high and were like enough, give us money, cigs, or nothing at all. But that was only one time and we didn't want the excess food to go to waste.

All that said, now that I'm housed and able to reflect back on my experiences from nearly 20 years ago, if I approach someone who needs resources I try to determine on a case by case basis how I can help them based on their vibe. If they are aggressive, rude, or insist on cash only after an offer of clean socks or something, I might tell them to fuck off. If they are appreciative of leftovers or a bottle of water, I might consider doubling down unexpectedly and dropping them a 5 or 10 dollar bill. When I had a truck I would sometimes pick up a hitchhiker and let them ride in the bed and throw them a 20 after dropping them off.

As far as what they choose to spend it on, I try not to let that interfere with my generosity unless, like I said, they are being pushy about it. Some of them are addicts like many of us and may be dopesick or suffering withdrawals due to their situation. I've been there so who am I to judge? As long as they aren't sticking people up or robbing banks, they might be using drugs to self medicate unmedicated mental illness or to simply cope with the harsh realities of living on the streets. Remember, Harm Reduction does not always mean abstinence. Sometimes the more compassionate thing to do is give someone clean needles, some narcan, or a few bucks to help them score and fight off WDs. Or if you are an angel sent from Heaven like our friend @jasperkent, you might throw them a doobie or bag of weed.

They could do that in their closet; they didn't need to spend that kind of money to take drugs.
Most people can’t get drugs you easily get in 5 – 10 minutes on many festivals. For a weekend users and people from certain places sole quantity and quality of drugs available on some festivals is enough to make them appealing.

Another thing that makes them great for drug use is “drugs are allowed and welcomed here” feeling on many festivals.

Most people can’t get drugs you easily get in 5 – 10 minutes on many festivals. For a weekend users and people from certain places sole quantity and quality of drugs available on some festivals is enough to make them appealing.

Another thing that makes them great for drug use is “drugs are allowed and welcomed here” feeling on many festivals.
yea the first festival I went to people will selling drugs right out in the open and I was blown back like what. Then after my third festival it was like the second you get your or your buddies car into the camp grounds and set up your tent, you instantly transport to a different world were drugs are legal and its all about partying and good music

I figure a lot of those people want money for drugs or booze and I don’t want to contribute to that.
I've never understood people's opposition to helping someone get their fix. Yeah, we can preach from our superior positions but maybe in that particular moment the person just needs a goddamn drink or whatever. Who am I to judge exactly when it's time for another to endure the pain of withdrawals?
Been there.
They have my utmost empathy.

I've never understood people's opposition to helping someone get their fix. Yeah, we can preach from our superior positions but maybe in that particular moment the person just needs a goddamn drink or whatever. Who am I to judge exactly when it's time for another to endure the pain of withdrawals?
Been there.
A few years ago this homeless guy approached me on the street saying he needed bus money to go to a job interview. He was very obviously NOT going to any job interview. And he was visibly shaking from alcohol withdrawal. I said "Man, do you need a drink?" He hung his head and whispered "Yeah." Fine. I gave him 10 bucks. It was sad to me that he felt the need to lie and make up a story because of his shame over his medical condition...here in the richest country of the world. Of course I want folks to get clean and sober if they can. But right in that moment maybe they just wanna avoid WDs. No shit.

I do the local clubs, a couple nearby events, and then EDC is the big weekend.

Some large crowds are fine; some ... less so. I've noticed a trend around the fans of a couple artists, across venues, and despite my enjoyment of the music, I am a little wary of diving in there and expecting to have a PLUR time. It's usually related to the drinking crowd, FWIW, IMO, YMMV, ETC. I also pay for VIP specifically to have more space (and for my wife not to have to deal with general-admission festival porta-potties; she's 60 and deserves better. She'd deal with it with no issue, and I love that side of her, but why should she have to? I just spend the money.)

One the other hand, there are times when it's time to dance. I find a spot on the side or in the back and just go.

We'll be dancing tonight. I hope you are too, literally or metaphorically.
YOU are an AWESOME husband

Good question but for me the answer is a little complex. Like I said above, my friend also had a guitar and we would split the food and money (and the drugs we bought with the money). I always appreciated the food mainly because it meant we didn't have to fly signs or beg for anything to get nourishment. Cops tend to shake down panhandlers and they also annoy people, so begging or flying signs was like a step down from busking, which entertains people.

The only time I ever turned down food was when we took a bus to a tourist town and actually got too many boxes of food to where it was more than we could eat or even give away to other folks that lived outside. We had a stack of styrofoam boxes a few feet high and were like enough, give us money, cigs, or nothing at all. But that was only one time and we didn't want the excess food to go to waste.

All that said, now that I'm housed and able to reflect back on my experiences from nearly 20 years ago, if I approach someone who needs resources I try to determine on a case by case basis how I can help them based on their vibe. If they are aggressive, rude, or insist on cash only after an offer of clean socks or something, I might tell them to fuck off. If they are appreciative of leftovers or a bottle of water, I might consider doubling down unexpectedly and dropping them a 5 or 10 dollar bill. When I had a truck I would sometimes pick up a hitchhiker and let them ride in the bed and throw them a 20 after dropping them off.

As far as what they choose to spend it on, I try not to let that interfere with my generosity unless, like I said, they are being pushy about it. Some of them are addicts like many of us and may be dopesick or suffering withdrawals due to their situation. I've been there so who am I to judge? As long as they aren't sticking people up or robbing banks, they might be using drugs to self medicate unmedicated mental illness or to simply cope with the harsh realities of living on the streets. Remember, Harm Reduction does not always mean abstinence. Sometimes the more compassionate thing to do is give someone clean needles, some narcan, or a few bucks to help them score and fight off WDs. Or if you are an angel sent from Heaven like our friend @jasperkent, you might throw them a doobie or bag of weed.
This is one of the best things I have read on Bluelight. You’ve certainly led an interesting life! I admire your compassion, it is rare these days.

Thanks for the insight and perspective. I get what you’re saying. I guess I’ve assumed that if people are out there on the side of the road with signs asking for help, that they would be appreciative of anything that is offered. It’s not like tons of people at stoplights are doling stuff out. Most of the time people just ignore them.

Been there.
I don’t feel like I’m preaching from a superior position. Are you judging me for the way I decide to help others?
My heart is in the right place. Everyone needs food and water to survive. In my opinion, helping people in any form is still helping people. I don’t have tons of cash laying around to be handing out to every homeless person I see.

I don’t feel like I’m preaching from a superior position. Are you judging me for the way I decide to help others?
My heart is in the right place. Everyone needs food and water to survive. In my opinion, helping people in any form is still helping people. I don’t have tons of cash laying around to be handing out to every homeless person I see.
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to judge you-- that in itself is preachy which obviously would make me a hypocrite.

Just saying that all my life I've heard people say "Don't give them money. They'll just use it for drugs or booze." They say it like they're somehow doing these people a favor. I just don't feel like I'm in a position to decide what's best for a needy stranger. Maybe, in that moment, a bottle of liquor or a shot of heroin is exactly what they need.

As an alcoholic and poly-drug addict I know damn well that I am not going to change my behavior because someone else thinks I should.

I'm not rich, either-- far from it. I am living right on the borderline of "poverty level." But if I have a few dollars to spare I'll gladly give it to whomever needs it badly enough to ask for it. And I'm not going to ask them why they need it. It's none of my damn business.