• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Social Need my wisdom teeth out I guess

BourbonMac

Bluelighter
This might be in the wrong spot, I'm just a bit flustered at the moment. Someone can move it if this isn't the right place.

I've had impacted wisdoms for awhile now, they aren't beneath the gums or anything. My top right one started hurting yesterday and today the top left hurts as well, both pretty bad. Have maxed out Tylenol and taken quite a bit of Ibuprofen, but far from very effective doses because it tends to give me a bad taste in my mouth and/or worsen my tinnitus (which could have some to do with my wisdom teeth, who knows?) Anyway, I've read into a lot of horror stories which obviously is no help.

I woke up in no pain this morning and was in minimal at work. Got home, took a nap, no pain, then it came back pretty soon after. It's like laying down makes it hurt less, maybe the pressure on the sides of my face, not sure.

Anyway, I'm going to try and get a referral on Monday, would plan on being knocked out and probably prescribed some opiate after. I'm just generally pretty afraid of it. The top 2 are like halfway beneath the gums, the bottom left is more beneath the gums, and the bottom right is sideways in a downward slant.

I've read everything from "recovery was easy, I didn't need to be put under or take an opiate" to "it hurt more than childbirth" and I'm not sure how to feel. The internet would be a nice thing to not have at times like these. I always google myself into health scares. I would imagine there's no way this could be worse than surgery on my sinuses last May. The pain in my head was pretty unreal, but I mostly remember the endless amounts of blood coming from my nose and going down my throat. Nose eventually crusted shut and I could barely open my mouth without the scabs tearing some which hurt like hell. I could only assume it'd be similar with stitches in my mouth. At least there's no hair on my gums, its the hairs in my nose that were really hurting I think.

I had all 4 of mine removed at the same time as a teenager (before they descended). I was fully anesthetized (I don't remember how, if it was nitrous or what. I think it was full anesthesia because I do not remember anything from the surgery).

I do not recall any pain whatsoever at any point during or afterwards. Only minimal discomfort from having gauze in your mouth and a liquid diet. In fact I quite enjoyed all the vicodin they gave me.

I wouldn't mind doing it again just for some more vicodin, lol. They gave me like 30mg per day for 7 days.

But yeah it really wasn't that bad. I once had a tooth removed while in rehab... all they gave me was some lidocaine. That was 1000x worse.

Last edited:
I have 3 wisdom teeth and have had one removed as an adult.

it hurt like a bitch and they didn't give me any meds. but if you have good insurance and go to a reputable dentist maybe you will. Mine was ghetto.

hardest part for me was the anxiety while eating/brushing my teeth for the first week. I didn't want to knock the blood clot loose and get dry socket. So I ate mashed potatoes with my head tilted for like 8 days in a row lmao.

other people have told me they just went on about their normal lives and had no problems

so who knows

As far as real pain goes, post-surgery no...there is discomfort, though, IME it took at least a couple weeks before my mouth felt "normal" again. And kind of temperature above or below lukewarm would agitate the open spaces where my teeth used to be, causing discomfort like I said. After a while you feel normal again though.

Mine erupted randomly when I was in my late 20s and it was pretty damn painful. It felt like someone stabbling a raw nerve in your jaw with the tip of a knife. Post surgery was the non painful part by comparison

hardest part for me was the anxiety while eating/brushing my teeth for the first week. I didn't want to knock the blood clot loose and get dry socket. So I ate mashed potatoes with my head tilted for like 8 days in a row lmao.

other people have told me they just went on about their normal lives and had no problems

so who knows
Yeah they told me not to smoke or suck on anything, but I was a dumb kid and was taking huge bong rips, smoking cigs, and drinking slurpees. Luckily I didn't have any issues.

I'd image it sucks without any good meds. I had mine done when opiates were plentiful.

Yeah they told me not to smoke or suck on anything, but I was a dumb kid and was taking huge bong rips, smoking cigs, and drinking slurpees. Luckily I didn't have any issues.

I'd image it sucks without any good meds. I had mine done when opiates were plentiful.

yeah I wish I would have had mine all done back in the day when they handed out pain meds

I already practiced vaping through my nose so that's an option I guess lol.
I'm honestly on the fence about brushing my teeth, I feel like I'd probably fuck something up, or maybe there's risk of infection if I don't or I'd have to be very gentle and/or use an electric brush.

Yeah I only got 8 oxys after my sinus surgery last March, 5mg. It seemed like a joke. I'll probably buy kratom capsules or something, I normally take powder but obviously that isn't going to work. Either way 5mg oxy does relieve pain more than kratom, I'd have to take at least 5-6g of capsules for the same level of pain relief, and kratom is known to kill the effect of opiates unless it's like 1g, that I found worked well together.

I had all mine removed with just local. Anyone who says it’s worse than childbirth is straight up lying. I’ve been through many painful procedures and experiences in my life, this wasn’t one of them.

I even recall profusely thanking the doc after he was done for the fact it didn’t hurt.

Now dry sockets, that’s a different ball game. That shit hurts and there’s nothing to stop the pain except excessive amounts of alcohol or capsaicin. (Capsaicin has potent analgesic effects locally.) Those can be avoided by not smoking.

I still remember though after I got home. I knew I needed to rinse with salt water but was out of it so made an ultra concentrated solution. Talking, not all the salt even dissolved. Soon as that salt water hit my empty socket, I dropped to the floor like a sack of taters.

-GC

I had all four wisdom teeth removed I think my senior year of HS. Don't remember which pills they gave for pain but they were opiates. I didn't take any of them and saved for later. I guess the pain wasn't that bad. I do recall once I got past the gauze phase that they recommended I keep tea bags in my mouth in place of the gauze, which helped prevent dry socket or something. All in all, I don't think it was such a bad experience.

Yeah I've been recommended to try teabags. Maybe it doesn't matter which ones. How are you supposed to avoid dry socket if you need to pull out the gauze or put salt water in it though? Do you get it from the gauze simply falling out, or do you need to keep the gauze in until you clot? I'm just not sure about this whole part, I thought the gauze had to be in there to avoid exposing the bone, and then maybe after some clotting, use teabags. But those are pretty big, how do you fit it?

I'm a bit paranoid about use of NSAIDS, Ibuprofen is often recommended but it does technically thin blood, just nowhere near as much as Aspirin or Naproxen. People are often prescribed 800mg tablets, that seems like it'd prevent clotting, tbh. I think tylenol with codeine or oxy would be better, and maybe 400mg Ibuprofen. Analgesic effects kind of max out at 400mg according to some studies, but as far as inflammation goes higher doses I'm sure would reduce it more.

Last edited:
Yeah I've been recommended to try teabags. Maybe it doesn't matter which ones. How are you supposed to avoid dry socket if you need to pull out the gauze or put salt water in it though? Do you get it from the gauze simply falling out, or do you need to keep the gauze in until you clot? I'm just not sure about this whole part, I thought the gauze had to be in there to avoid exposing the bone, and then maybe after some clotting, use teabags. But those are pretty big, how do you fit it?

I'm a bit paranoid about use of NSAIDS, Ibuprofen is often recommended but it does technically thin blood, just nowhere near as much as Aspirin or Naproxen. People are often prescribed 800mg tablets, that seems like it'd prevent clotting, tbh. I think tylenol with codeine or oxy would be better, and maybe 400mg Ibuprofen. Analgesic effects kind of max out at 400mg according to some studies, but as far as inflammation goes higher doses I'm sure would reduce it more.
These are all good questions to ask your dentist/oral surgeon before the procedure, I'm sure they would be happy to answer. They should give you specific instructions about the gauze, tea bags, etc.

I had one wisdom tooth removed as an adult (mine are all in more or less bad condition, the bottom ones partially stuck in the gums, and affected by karies, but they have been like this for many years and didn't cause pain or inflammation nor do I eat too much sugar, so I decided to just ignore the dentist telling me I needed to get em removed ASAP. But this one began to hurt so I needed to have it removed. Was on local anesthesia and the worst was the injection itself, didn't feel much when he pulled it out. Gave me under-dosed pills for the day after, containing maybe 15mg codeine+paracetamol but the pain was bearable.

But I can tell you, I am fucking afraid of needles, recently had to have the nails of my 2 big toes removed due to them growing into the flesh and causing infections (for whatever reasons both at more or less the same time) and the local anesthesia injection in my left toe hurt like a motherfucker, guess he hit a nerve or something like that. After the anesthesia began to work I felt next to nothing from the pulling. Docs are pretty good in knowing how much anesthesia one requires yet I guess we will have some which neglect this aspect.

Pulling a tooth with just (topical?) lidocaine is what I call fine torture.

Last edited:
I had 3 removed as a teenager. They put me under and when i came to they gave me a drip with morphine in it until i was realased. When i was let out i was given 50 percs which didnt do shit for the pain really. So i went back and they gave me 50 Demerol which combined with the percs worked well

|Whatever you do dont smoke ciggs or weed while your healing up Everyone i know that did got dry socket

Yeah I already practiced hitting my dab pen through my nose, it works very well. Edibles are an option too of course. I've had friends who very lightly hit a bowl in recovery and were okay, but I'm not taking that risk, and smoke would probably be bad regardless. I get cotton mouth way worse from flower than oil.

I've read about a lot of people not even going under, just getting numbed. I'm making sure I go under, I'm not trying to be awake for that shit at all.
I used to fear needles a lot too, until a horrible accident falling off from sliding down a railing when I was 5, resulting in a bloody massacre, my face landing on a cracked metal bucket and my bottom fang tooth jamming way into my lip. I was throwing up blood and spitting it out everywhere, you'd have think someone got murdered. They put a needle in my lip to numb it while I got the stitches. After that, I never cried over booboos again, this was pretty traumatic for being just 5. Although it wasn't until 3 years later that I suddenly had some PTSD like symptoms (I do have C-PTSD and maybe this goes back further than I think).

I had all four taken out in one setting when I was in my mid twenties. One had to be cut out with a bone saw, took more than 90 minutes , so not an easy tooth surgery. I was only given midazolam during the surgery, so that I was pretty sedated. I do remember the surgery though, probably due to my high benzo tolerance. I was only given ibuprofen for the pain, which was totally okay. The pain was there but nothing really bad. I took something like 2grams of ibuprofen per day for aa few days and then it was all good. No need for opiates.

Holy cow, a bone saw to remove a tooth, and just ibuprofen. Glad you didn't have too much pain. Indeed was the local anesthesia injection into my toe much more painful than both local anesthesia at the dentists as well as antibiotic injections into my butt.

One of my wisdoms has its root growing into a nerve channel. The dentist I visited (who extracted my other wisdom tooth) said, based on the X-ray, he wouldn't teach this and that I had to go to an odontologist. This confirmed me in my decision to let it where it is. But I indeed do have tinnitus on the same side as this tooth and it changes its pitch when I clench my jaw. Wonder what there's going on. The tinnitus is, thankfully, barely noticeable but during episodes of stress I had much stronger intensity.

Got no wisdom teeths.All extracted.Got no one left tooth on left upper jaw.....so can't chew.only soft food.got a numerous diseases i guess.got a very bad feeling about what's comin' up......c'mon guys......wisdom teeth?!?😱

Have still had some shitty pain mostly in my jaw and temple region. It seems wearing headphones for too long will bring some of this out. However, when I get super baked, the pain completely goes away. I save this for nighttime so I can get the most baked, but it's a relief. Last year when I had sinus induced teeth/jaw aches, getting high would make it worse, likely because drying out the sinuses causing some level of inflammation or something, but at the time I only had flower, and I'm doing very strong dab pens. This morning and afternoon has been just as bad.