• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Discussion Should Harm Reduction supplies be funded by tax dollars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
look how much it bothers some of you about the way i think

telling me to leave the site because we don't agree

you leave if you don't like it

look how much it bothers some of you about the way i think

telling me to leave the site because we don't agree

you leave if you don't like it

Odd timing, commenting some previous post at this point

No good response to mine i guess

I think we should use tax dollars to pay homosexual drug addicts to break into people's homes to confiscate their guns and teach Satanism to their children.

That's fucking insane dude, and fascist!

Odd timing, commenting some previous post at this point

No good response to mine i guess

why should i talk to you?

you're calling me a fascist and we already know you're an asshole - that's been established

why should i talk to you?

you're calling me a fascist and we already know you're an asshole - that's been established

I dunno. Maybe you can answer yourself since you're actively deciding to talk to me.

I'm not calling you a fascist. You proposed one political intervention that's congruent with the ideology of fascism, and was called out for that. I don't think you're a fascist, just a guy who doesn't think things through before offering opinions.

I think it's a modest proposal.
Others may disagree.

But perhaps before we do any of that we should have English teachers instruct students on the meaning of the word sarcasm.

Sorry, i was fully in on the sarcasm. Just doing some deadpan anti-comedy...

I am very,very far from America,but i will say-ABSOLUTELY.Ur government spend billions for arms,that more of which is fast sold out briefly,when arrived,Fuckin hypocrites.Half billion dead for what?For hush-hush things and because one drugged totally fallen down son of someone very very Important was bying land for corporates and take his percent,which is national land-land of people...not some stock.....that is all about.The truth.It is so dirty,so corrupt......how i can live with this?How u can?Wake up people,please....or all of u are high on legal mj or some gummies?:cry::cry::cry:

How about you guys explain to me how your form of harm reduction is working when things are worse than ever

you think that's ok? ^

that's wrong with you people - just sweep that kinda shit under the rug and act like you're helping people
I've not seen anyone here saying they think that sort of thing is 'ok' , nor pretending it doesn't exist. I'm certainly not.

I don't think anyone should have to live with the threat of unprovoked violence from drugged up / drunk people when they're just trying to walk home or go to work. Nobody should have to put up with that. On the other hand, should any human being be reduced to living in the sort of state as people do on the streets? The answer is also no.

The situation in its ENTIRETY is unacceptable.

Harm reduction can't solve the problem and isn't pretending to. We know the best we can do is mitigate some symptoms of the problem. We know we're sticking a plaster over an open wound. The thing is what you're proposing does the same. It's ALSO just a temporary and partial fix.

Because what's gonna happen with someone who's not in any mental place to quit after you forcibly detox them -? You can't keep the person in there indefinitely and all that happens is they go straight back out to resume where they left off. Doesn't solve anything, it's just pressing a pause button.

I'm perfectly aware of what the situation is like, I've LIVED close to places like you show in those clips. Heck I've practically lived IN one (though with the comparative luxury of it being a flophouse). I've been knifed by a guy who was off his head, paranoid and psychotic. I've been hit and robbed of my money. I' ve been accosted and been given foul verbal abuse for no reason. And the absolute number one issue by a mile in that environment was mental illness, which of course isn't exactly improved by frequent intoxication. The amount of people I saw who had obvious psychiatric problems, schizophrenia, bipolar, personality disorders, was staggering.

I don't wanna see an open chaotic drug scene, neither do I wanna see anyone living in filth and degradation, in a vicious cycle where you stop giving a fuck about society and society doesn't give a fuck about you. It's a systemic issue that needs systemic, far-reaching measures to even get close to resolving.

I want to have a fully legalized but strictly regulated, state-controlled drug market, because there's no eradicating substance use from human society, and that would be the most responsible way to handle it. And I want people off the street but actually re-integrated instead of simply shut up out of the way so 'they're no more trouble'. The only country so far that's made a concerted effort to achieve the latter is Finland, as far as the former goes there's not a sign of it anywhere, and any politician who dared as much as suggest the idea would end his career.

How about you guys explain to me how your form of harm reduction is working when things are worse than ever
It's a stop-gap thing. It's damage limitation. It's not about solving the big picture. It's about saving individual lives.

What drives the big picture are massive socio-economic factors and a vast unmet need for mental health provision. We can't do anything about that in the harm reduction movement which is nothing more, and CANNOT be anything more, than exactly what it says on the tin.

I'll narcan the backstreet junkie who carelessly overdosed for the third time in a day, FOR the third time in a day, because I cannot directly influence the factors that made him end up like that; and I'm not there to pass moral judgement on his flawed character.
I'm there to save a human life that I believe deserves as many repeat chances as I can give it.

And I'll distribute clean supplies for free because that's one way to curtail the rampant spread of disease which should be in everyone's interest.

Last edited:
it's about others, including myself, help pay for your drug habit, while you live off the streets and have no intention of leaving those streets

it's about others, including myself, help pay for your drug habit, while you live off the streets and have no intention of leaving those streets
Wrong. Nobody pays for your drugs. You're allowed to use free of prosecution by the law at a safe site, but you're banned from buying or dealing on the premises and can only bring drugs you've acquired outside.

Also the percentage of people who are on the streets 'by choice' is vanishingly small. Yes, you get a few perpetual nomads who just cannot abide the thought of four walls around them, and will happily accept any kind of misery rather than live 'settled'.
Those are a negligible statistic and also by no means automatically all drug-addicted or alcoholic. But believe me as someone who has both dealt with that clientele as well as lived among them, most are desperate to get back to a normal life. They've just lost the capacity how to. They no longer know how to function without their substance or fit back into ordinary society, and require help with that.

Last edited:
if there's a will, there's a way

i don't believe for a second that the majority of them are desperate to get back to a "normal life"

if there's a will, there's a way
Absolutely agree. However you have to have a certain amount of hope and motivation to even MUSTER your will and FIND a way.

I TOTALLY GAVE UP ON MYSELF for a period of my life. I didn't have the strength or the sanity to do ANY better than just purely hanging on, and I hung on by means of drug and alcohol abuse. Sure, dysfunctional, but the best I could do at the time. The chemically-induced relief let me cope with another day.

Oh, and I'm not even arguing about how that wasn't a choice. OF COURSE it was a choice ; nobody tied me down and injected me against my own will. But my life was miserable enough through no direct fault of my own to see that as my ONLY choice. And as detrimental as my heroin use was overall, it did in fact save my life because it gave me a break from my non-stop suicidal ideation.

... I was thinking we might have a fruitful conversation; I definitely don't think you're some ultra - conservative reactionary like others have implied on here. But I'm starting to doubt it.

Last edited:
you can think whatever you want

it doesn't bother me....

im just telling you my view - you're not gonna change my mind - and im all about helping those who are truly in need and want to do something about it - in fact, i help out ppl all the time that can use a hand - every single day - but im not about helping out those who only think about themselves and have disregard for others.... they can fuck off

if you think it's wrong that i think like that, i just don't care

im kind of a lefty - i dont vote for republicans

but you guys are trying to shame me into not being left enough

i know how you guys operate

i know how you guys operate
What in the actual fuck??!

How 'you guys operate' ???

You literally think anyone who participates in harm reduction is part of some shady political cabal or something WTF

... let me just get down with my dealer 'cause I'm gonna need a copious amount of my drug of choice to digest the sheer deranged bullshit coming my way.

... I was thinking we might have a fruitful conversation; I definitely don't think you're some ultra - conservative reactionary like others have implied on here. But I'm starting to doubt it.

apparently you have a short memory....must be a junkie

well let me remind you of what you just said....because of my view on a single subject, im being called a conservative and a fascist

and the only people that would call me that, are more than likely, far leftists

so yea - i know how you guys operate

:tiebow:

Status
Not open for further replies.