• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Super Slow Weight Training

^^^
no problem, ice.

As for superslow training, I guess in the end it depends on what your goals are, and if you have any physical issues to work around.

As far as strength gains for the fully functional athlete are concerned, I've read that anything more than a few seconds per repetition is wasted energy. One place I might have heard that is the Colgan institute. Let me go find a source for that...

always do everything superslow. combines better with my meditation practice.

panty said:
^^^
How can you say 'several times over', when I just recently pointed out to you who he was, and then you went and checked his website out, and then came back to the thread and sputtered something about him being full of shit for achieving what he has on a vegan diet.

You must have gotten expedited delivery, and then immediately watched it after receiving it. And then immediately after saw this thread and posted what you did.

Or, you're the one who's full of shit.

Hey fuckwad, I knew about Mike Mahler when his column first came out on bb.com.

Grow up, son.

^^^
That's funny, you sure didn't act like you knew anything about him the other week.

How is it you're contributing to this thread, anyway?

panty said:
^^^
That's funny, you sure didn't act like you knew anything about him the other week.

How is it you're contributing to this thread, anyway?

I don't understand the purpose of these personal attacks. I never said I didn't know who he is, I just called bullshit on him, because he mentioned in an article on bb.com that he uses whey protein, which isn't vegan.

I already contributed to this thread and was one of the first people to do it.

Don't bother replying to me because you're going on my 'ignore' list. I don't play this petty bickering shit.

about the original topic, I think doing slow weight training calls in extra muscle fibers and stabilizes that you normally wouldn't use. Which leads to more strength and a bigger muscle.

oh yeah, the best way to do this is:

on the negative part of the lift (when you bring the bar down) go down very slowly.

I'd advise using a lower weight than usual, they are fairly difficult.

dbighead2 said:
about the original topic, I think doing slow weight training calls in extra muscle fibers and stabilizes that you normally wouldn't use. Which leads to more strength and a bigger muscle.

I don't think that super slow training recruits additional muscle fiber, but rather forces the same muscle fiber to adapt in a different way.

Roger&Me said:
I don't understand the purpose of these personal attacks. I never said I didn't know who he is, I just called bullshit on him, because he mentioned in an article on bb.com that he uses whey protein, which isn't vegan.

I already contributed to this thread and was one of the first people to do it.

Don't bother replying to me because you're going on my 'ignore' list. I don't play this petty bickering shit.

How ironic of you to say so, since this is your first post directed toward me without a belligerent tone.

None of what I said was meant as a personal attack; it was in defense of previous posts which you attacked first. ("You started it! Yeah, so, yeah so!"). You're right though, it has become petty bickering. All done...

If you want to work your stabilizers, do compound free weight exercises. The machines in gyms which isolate your muscles prevent your stabilizers from being worked.

Also, your body only produces about 60 minutes' worth of testosterone per day. Doing superslow training would eat that up so fast you wouldn't get many exercises into your routine before going into a catabolic state. Which I guess is fine if you're not interested in gaining muscle mass.

In addition, muscles adapt to the training they are exposed to, and superslow training would teach them to be efficient in slower movements. I guess I wouldn't want to personally become slower at anything involving atheltics.

But I guess I can see where certain slow bodyweight exercises would come in handy, for, say a gymnast or a dancer...

Roger&Me said:
I don't think that super slow training recruits additional muscle fiber, but rather forces the same muscle fiber to adapt in a different way.

wouldn't this lead to an increase in muscle though? A lot of people say it's better to change up your exercise ever so often

like going from 5X5 to doing pyramid sets. or something like that.

The super slow exercises i'm talking about all use one's own body weight. They are not used for looking big. Instead, they build compact muscles which are reinforced with super strong tendons and ligaments.

"Super slow weight training" is basically what yoga is based on, so i would also agree that it is very meditative.

panty said:

In addition, muscles adapt to the training they are exposed to, and superslow training would teach them to be efficient in slower movements. I guess I wouldn't want to personally become slower at anything involving atheltics.

In principle I agree with you, your muscles get good at what they are exposed to most.

But my experience is that fast/normal training makes for more muscle mass, which makes you slower, and that this slow training does not increase quantity of muscle mass so much so doesnt really make you slower. I think starting off slowly pays off eventually in speed, just like playing the guitar %)

For muscle mass all you need is control.

If you can control the negative your good to go.

Zappa said:
In principle I agree with you, your muscles get good at what they are exposed to most.

But my experience is that fast/normal training makes for more muscle mass, which makes you slower, and that this slow training does not increase quantity of muscle mass so much so doesnt really make you slower. I think starting off slowly pays off eventually in speed, just like playing the guitar %)

There's nothing wrong with starting off slowly to get used to something.

But regardless, muslce mass itself does not make you slower, the training of slow-twitch muscle fibers makes your slower.

The only possible exception I can think of would be someone who is so muscle-bound they are unable to perform certain basic movements in a full range of motion, which would in turn cause them to do that motion slowly or awkwardly.

"Also, your body only produces about 60 minutes' worth of testosterone per day. Doing superslow training would eat that up so fast you wouldn't get many exercises into your routine before going into a catabolic state. Which I guess is fine if you're not interested in gaining muscle mass."

Is there a reference for the 60minutes of testosterone statement? I have never heard this. Also, what is the relation to testosterone and your body entering into a catabolic state? I thought a catabolic state was more influenced by energy (through foods), not hormones....

panty said:

As far as strength gains for the fully functional athlete are concerned, I've read that anything more than a few seconds per repetition is wasted energy. One place I might have heard that is the Colgan institute. Let me go find a source for that...

I disagree.....Look at gymnasts and ballet dancers.....Most of their workouts are generally very slow workouts....They are typically very agile AND strong...

I think slow reps realllly makes a big diff.....I sometimes get to points where i cant get sore anymore.....Ill then do the slow rep thing.....esp toward the end of my workout.....It never fails to rip my muscles to shreds

Hypnotik1 said:
I disagree.....Look at gymnasts and ballet dancers.....Most of their workouts are generally very slow workouts....They are typically very agile AND strong...

I'm not exactly sure how this disagrees with what I said.

I would agree that gymnasts are quite strong (but strong compared to whom? And how does that strenght translate into time they spent developing it?), and that both gymnasts and dancers are agile and have good stabilizer/tendon strength...

Hypnotik1 said:
I think slow reps realllly makes a big diff.....I sometimes get to points where i cant get sore anymore.....Ill then do the slow rep thing.....esp toward the end of my workout.....It never fails to rip my muscles to shreds

Sore muscles are not necessarily an indicator of strength gains. Hypertropy, maybe.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough in some of my posts. I thought I specified that I was talking about functional (and should have also said 'limit') strength, and its applications toward power. I couldn't care less about nice toned pecs and biceps.