Mental Health The Rant Thread Vs. Really? How Does That Make You Feel?

I feel like I have reached a crossroads with my current therapist.

We had been meeting via video chat every week since like November 2021. At first she was just getting to know me as I told her my story. She would give me advice and pointers and activities like suggesting I do things to stimulate my vagus nerve, make it outside more often, and even yoga; I still haven't started the yoga.

Due to billing issues with her office, we started meeting every other week until we sorted through my insurance and stuff. Now that the billing issues have been resolved, we are continuing to meet every other week mainly because I just don't have much going on in my life. All that said, our sessions have kind of evolved from her leading me to improve myself to her only listening to me and not much else. I mean I understand the importance of having someone to listen but I feel like she should offer more that just an ear.

Am I wrong here? I usually let her take the lead and ask me questions like how I've been doing since we last met, how's my living situation, how's the job. But other than that, not much happens. Even if I tell her something like an awful dream I had where I literally jumped out of bed and woke up when I hit my head on something, she couldn't offer much insight. I asked her advice on how to deal with someone who I was having problems with and she was abruptly like avoid that person when they act that way, Next?

So my actual question is, should I dump her or at the least communicate my problem with her and see if she changes? I don't want to be a pushover and keep the status quo but I also don't want to come off as being unreasonable or even non-compliant with therapy.

I know I'm a paying customer and ultimately it's up to me what I wanna do. It's just a pain in the ass searching for new therapists and finding one with the right personality. I really do like her, I just feel like I'm not getting what I signed up for.
That is frustrating. I've been in that situation before with several therapists in the past. So with my current therapist I am making sure I'm really proactive in telling her what I want out of the sessions. I think you definitely should at least attempt telling your therapist that you wanna focus on X Y Z in your upcoming sessions. Give her a chance.

Here I thought I was drunk and aquired a hangover... nah, I got drunk on top of fuckin covid. Didnt know. Alo didnt think it was enough alcohol to take me down that far.
How do I feel about it? I though alcohol is supposed to kill virus. What kinda hinky ass info is that?
4 days down.

I definitely think that you should communicate openly with her, in the most constructive way possible of course. I have had a few courses of therapy and counseling over the years, and I definitely found that bringing my concerns, doubts or fears to the table, even if they were about the process of the therapy, helped move things forward, either with the therapy itself, or if the therapist is a proper professional she may start thinking along the lines of 'ok maybe we might need to look at something else that might be of more benefit to you'

You should absolutely be open to discuss your concerns, and that will either improve things, or maybe suggest a different approach, maybe with a different therapist. I found that if I didn't discuss my concerns then I didn't get much out of things until I did.

That is frustrating. I've been in that situation before with several therapists in the past. So with my current therapist I am making sure I'm really proactive in telling her what I want out of the sessions. I think you definitely should at least attempt telling your therapist that you wanna focus on X Y Z in your upcoming sessions. Give her a chance.
Thanks @Bleaney and @n3ophy7e. Solid advice all the way around.

Here I thought I was drunk and aquired a hangover... nah, I got drunk on top of fuckin covid. Didnt know. Alo didnt think it was enough alcohol to take me down that far.
How do I feel about it? I though alcohol is supposed to kill virus. What kinda hinky ass info is that?
4 days down.
That sucks man. Sorry to hear you got the rona. If you were four days down yesterday, hopefully you will see some improvement by the end of the week.

You may have already done so but it may not hurt to visit the CDC website if you're in the US. It has up to date info on quarantine methods and what to expect. I hope you feel better soon!

If you were four days down yesterday
Hey, thanks.
Seems we were exposed almost 2 weeks ago after doing the math (roughly). We are both doing better and I didnt have to take time off from work so it has all been relatively mild. First 2 1/2 days were the worst with fever, headache, loss of taste/smell/appetite for food or drink, super low energy and just sleep. Now its just bleh. Hasnt been much fun but when is a fever or cold?
Was gonna see if the antiviral after pill would be available especially for her but this needs to be used within the first five days of symptoms starting. We are way past that so just gotta ride the rest out I suppose.
I do know now that any booster(s) are no longer part of my thoughts. I figure the two shots over a year ago and now covid. If this wont "protect" us not sure what will. ha
Hope p the best,
J

Feeling better with this, thanks. :)
Got us at the same time. She showed symptoms of a flu and I thought I was hung over from a sip of vodka. lol I got the tests from her our doc office and it showed she didnt have it. I tested very lightly but thought it inconclusive cause of the vodka. Perhaps I fucked her test up (highly possible). Retested yesterday cause what lingers two weeks? BAM! I knew I had it cause it was the worst hangover I have had without drinking (much).
Honestly I think this may be the second time we have got the bug. Shortly after second dose we went through similar symptoms but they were milder. Maybe by half. Lasted a couple weeks, too. Hmmmmmmm......
Love ya!
:heart3:

Feeling better with this, thanks. :)
Got us at the same time. She showed symptoms of a flu and I thought I was hung over from a sip of vodka. lol I got the tests from her our doc office and it showed she didnt have it. I tested very lightly but thought it inconclusive cause of the vodka. Perhaps I fucked her test up (highly possible). Retested yesterday cause what lingers two weeks? BAM! I knew I had it cause it was the worst hangover I have had without drinking (much).
Honestly I think this may be the second time we have got the bug. Shortly after second dose we went through similar symptoms but they were milder. Maybe by half. Lasted a couple weeks, too. Hmmmmmmm......
Love ya!
:heart3:
Wow how awful. Sorry that you both had to suffer like that. This is unreal.
Thanks. I do love erryone too. You all take care. Health IS everything. Awww. <3<3<3<3<3

I feel like I have reached a crossroads with my current therapist.

We had been meeting via video chat every week since like November 2021. At first she was just getting to know me as I told her my story. She would give me advice and pointers and activities like suggesting I do things to stimulate my vagus nerve, make it outside more often, and even yoga; I still haven't started the yoga.

Due to billing issues with her office, we started meeting every other week until we sorted through my insurance and stuff. Now that the billing issues have been resolved, we are continuing to meet every other week mainly because I just don't have much going on in my life. All that said, our sessions have kind of evolved from her leading me to improve myself to her only listening to me and not much else. I mean I understand the importance of having someone to listen but I feel like she should offer more that just an ear.

Am I wrong here? I usually let her take the lead and ask me questions like how I've been doing since we last met, how's my living situation, how's the job. But other than that, not much happens. Even if I tell her something like an awful dream I had where I literally jumped out of bed and woke up when I hit my head on something, she couldn't offer much insight. I asked her advice on how to deal with someone who I was having problems with and she was abruptly like avoid that person when they act that way, Next?

So my actual question is, should I dump her or at the least communicate my problem with her and see if she changes? I don't want to be a pushover and keep the status quo but I also don't want to come off as being unreasonable or even non-compliant with therapy.

I know I'm a paying customer and ultimately it's up to me what I wanna do. It's just a pain in the ass searching for new therapists and finding one with the right personality. I really do like her, I just feel like I'm not getting what I signed up for.
Visited couple of shrinks,terrapist in my life.Almost all did not can offer me nothin.But you are in U.S. could have a good choise of good professionals.May be is about a preference,cost and results.Don't know for real

Visited couple of shrinks,terrapist in my life.Almost all did not can offer me nothin.But you are in U.S. could have a good choise of good professionals.May be is about a preference,cost and results.Don't know for real
Good points. Both my shrink and my therapist have a $5 copay with my insurance. At that price, I can't really complain about the cost. Surprisingly I had a good talk with my therapist this week and didn't even have time to mention the things I talked about in this thread. Guess I got my $5 worth this time :)

My rant for today:

So it's bad enough that we have these mass shootings. Horrible.
But goddamn right-wing conspiracy theorists then harass and threaten the families of the victims?
Jesus Bloody Fucking Christ.
I don't believe in Hell, but I wish I did. People who would do that should burn for eternity.
🔥 🔥 🔥

Ooooo my rant for the moment is this... I have ADD. I wasn't diagnosed until I was in my 30s. I was put on meds at that time and it has helped A LOT. I do however lose / misplace things during the course of my day that I have to back track to find. People without ADD also do that...
I absolutely HATE it that when ANYTHING is not where its supposed to be in my house...all eyes look at me. Also, I tend to get the blaime for "not remembering" OR "not paying attention" when I know very well that at times the other person has simply forgotten to tell me something. So in a nutshell...my vent is that one persons condition should not always give others around them an easy out.

Yeah, I can relate.
In the past, if I went to a clinic or a hospital for ANY REASON and I mentioned that I was an alcoholic--- well, the doctor would immediately go deaf to anything else I had to say. I was simply seen as an irresponsible, lying drunk who wasn't worth anybody's trouble.
I learned to omit that detail about myself and was thereafter treated like a human being.

My rant for today:

So it's bad enough that we have these mass shootings. Horrible.
But goddamn right-wing conspiracy theorists then harass and threaten the families of the victims?
Jesus Bloody Fucking Christ.
I don't believe in Hell, but I wish I did. People who would do that should burn for eternity.
🔥 🔥 🔥
Oh man, I've been unplugged from my newsfeed for the past day or so.

If it isn't too triggering, do you mind sharing what you heard?

I don't think anyone can really hide or protect the world from the influence of their spirit.

Sometimes people seem to think that if we all act as if a bad vibe wasn't there, it will disappear.

Somehow my thought is ironic. My thought implies the concrete social reality of the observer effect. Merely harboring a secret opinion and observing facts will affect the unfolding events. On the other hand, my thought implies that things continue to exist even if we try to not observe them. I guess this contradiction goes to show the limitations of the conscious mind.

Last edited:
Ooooo my rant for the moment is this... I have ADD. I wasn't diagnosed until I was in my 30s. I was put on meds at that time and it has helped A LOT. I do however lose / misplace things during the course of my day that I have to back track to find. People without ADD also do that...
I absolutely HATE it that when ANYTHING is not where its supposed to be in my house...all eyes look at me. Also, I tend to get the blaime for "not remembering" OR "not paying attention" when I know very well that at times the other person has simply forgotten to tell me something. So in a nutshell...my vent is that one persons condition should not always give others around them an easy out.

Yeah i know the feeling. Super common mechanism. Most humans are not so compassionate as they like to think. Psychiatric diagnosis is still a stamp of lower caste. Pretending like it isn't merely makes the tension worse. Terrible.

Sometimes, compassion has to circumvent emotional instinct because our emotional instinct are geared toward much harsher living conditions. Previously they let handicapped people die off. Empathy was reserved for those strong enough to prevail. Normal emotional "fast" compassion often gets digusted or scared by strange people, for evolutionary reasons. Today we have much PC culture which denies any biological basis for anything in the social sphere. Instead assuming we are blank slates with infinite moral obligation.

Last edited:
I don't do credit or payment plans or even direct debits if I can help it. Finance companies won't touch me - not cos of bad credit, cos of NO credit. I'm what they refer to as a "cash person".

Tonight though, I was looking at Optus (telco) and I actually looked at iPhone payment plans. $30 odd dollars a month.. That sounds alright, I thought. Then I saw the length of time. 36 MONTHS! That's 3 YEARS. These things go obsolete in a year.

I just can't imagine living like this. My income is very low compared to many people.. But my net worth is very high. I own everything. Even my house and car. People are silly.

Oh man, I've been unplugged from my newsfeed for the past day or so.

If it isn't too triggering, do you mind sharing what you heard?
Well, it's incredibly disgusting but here goes:

There are conspiracy theories out there (promoted by Alex Jones and his ilk) that claim school shootings are staged by the US Govt in order to make more Americans favor gun control-- thus making it easier to "take our guns away."

These morons track down survivors and family members of victims to stalk, harass, and threaten them for being actors/co-conspirators in this liberal agenda. Some parents of dead children have had to relocate multiple times because they receive constant death threats and such.